Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone

Just a quick heads up that there is a "new" V2 of PFPX.  I wanted to warn anyone out there even remotely considering updating to think again.  I have no idea who beta tested it but they should be given the don't come Monday after the abomination they have released.  Quite frankly it doesn't work and is a pile of junk.  

It is quite literally full of bugs and is totally unusable.

If you do decide to update don't say you were not warned.  I will go to Simbrief full time from now on.  

Its a shame as it was a good programme once.

Edited by barramundilure
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've used it without any trouble. That's kind of a broad statement to say it doesn't work and is totally unusable. I admit I haven't spent a lot of time with all the functions but I created a flight and exported without any problems. It sounds like you've spent quite a bit of time with it, can you be more specific?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I downloaded it but haven't tried it yet. 

Sim Brief pretty much does everything I want and it's free so I use it. 

The PFPX devs show add more Aircraft Profiles to TOPCAT...a lot of people have requested that over the years . 

Share this post


Link to post

I have not downloaded or installed it yet as I have not had time to back everything up and upgrade. I am also happy with how PFPX is now. As was suggested, it would be helpful to have more specifics on what "bugs" there, what does not work, etc. That could help me make a decision about whether to upgrade or not.

Share this post


Link to post

Simbrief is free and works every time. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

do not get the rant from the OP.

 

maybe explain us what is not working?

 

one of the sunday betatester ....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Seems to work OK for me, although I am tending to like most and go to Simbrief more often.

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry to hear you're not having an ideal experience with v2. I updated to v2 as soon as it came out and along with others, I couldn't be happier. The previous v1 was levels above anything else already and v2 has added a few extra things I am thoroughly enjoying. Add me to the happy camper list like the rest.

Maybe outline some of the 'bugs' you've encountered to the developer or here for that matter and maybe us satisfied users could help sort it out for you. Apart from the 'weight' bug (it will not honor the changes a user makes to the default average weight of each passenger), I haven't come across anything else.

I've compared some of the flight plans executed by PFPX with real world plans and the results have almost always been astonishingly similar. The largest discrepency for me has been a few minutes +/- in flight time, +/- 300kgs in fuel burn and +/- 400 kgs in estimated alternate fuel burn. Considering PFPX costs and works on a fraction of the data real world planners work with, I call that a resounding success for the program and have yet to find anything else that matches its fidelity, fluidity & general wealth of data and since my experience has always been very positive with the software (if worked with correctly), I would love for you to expand on why you feel it is unusable. 

Edited by krazyk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hotfiz 2.01 is out that should fix some bugs but there are still some important issues,

At this moment V1 seems a lot better...

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I love PFPX, use it for every flight I make.

I saw v2 was out and read though the forums, some user errors and some bugs.

Am very happy with my v1.xx for now but will update to v2 probably after a few more bugs are sorted. As v1 does everything I need.

I really like my aircraft database, take off and landing V ref and find the fuel burn to be spot on.

I also like the UI.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry for apparently having lived under a rock, but ... what's new in V.2?

Share this post


Link to post

Funny how i think PFPX2 is so much much better. Faster calculating 6000nm routes, faster with alternate calculation... No longer goes nuts with background tasks, making you wait several seconds until it sorts itself out.

To me, without even reading the "whatsnew", it's already great. But i use it daily, several times a week, so it's easy to notice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've installed PFPX v2 and I've had a very nice experience since installing it. I haven't experienced any errors or bugs. Performance is indeed better and there are plenty of new exciting features to explore.

Even if there are bugs what's the big deal? The developers provided this version for FREE! And an hotfix has already been released which means that development is continuing and bugs are being smashed. Every software has bugs. It's the development that matters. And to me it's a really nice thing to have PFPX updated after ~2 years without major changes.

I don't get all this rant from the OP. If you don't like the software don't use it. But starting a rumor from day 1 after release is just poor judgement and really unfair to the work of the developers. 

  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post

I have installed version 2 and enjoying the new features. Try not to forget this is a real dispatchers program and requires some careful study into its use. Dispatchers need a lot of  training too. This is as real as it gets and works fine for me accept when adding  a new Nav data base, I couldn't easily select old unusable routes to discard.

IM

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

Sorry for apparently having lived under a rock, but ... what's new in V.2?

There is no official changelog to v2 or the hotfix v2.01 but here are some of the things I found updated/new:

1. The user interface has been updated
2. Performance has improved considerably (especially using auto-routing, alternate aerodromes planning, weather parsing)
3. Weather reports have been improved and now have a timeline to them aiding a user to see exactly when something noteworthy is expected to happen for the chosen airfields (things like Fog, Haze, reduction in visibility, etc - all have a color-coded highlight to them making it very simple to refer to a METAR/TAF and then getting an accurate timeline on when it is predicted for that particular condition to become active). Excellent for the hit & run pilots among us that just want to get a flight plan done within minutes.
4. NOTAMs have received a similar 'smart' function where it seems to read what it says and then tag it as such. For example, a NOTAM about a particular taxiway being closed will be tagged with a 'Taxiway' label. Similarly for obstacles in the form of construction at or around the fields in your flight plan will be marked as 'Obstacles', Runway changes would be tagged 'Runway', Unavailable parking would be tagged as 'Parking' and so on. You understand what I mean. Not necessary but highly effective in cutting down on reading time for the end user with such visual cues.
5. There's a new 'Company Information' tab I hope can also be integrated into the VA connection within PFPX. Presently, you can create your own Company NOTAMs if you like to fly a specific company often and if you're aware of certain NOTAMs they issue to their line pilots. Otherwise, this could say just about anything as you control what data is fed to the tab via self-created NOTAMs.
6. Flight vertical profile chart has been added with heaps of data embedded within. Items such as winds, turbulence, obstacles, Grid MORAs, expected en route times, alternate airfields (think ETPs or ETOPs range circles allowing you to know exactly until when a certain airfield is a viable enroute alternate, etc). One thing I do miss seeing in it is the Tropopause height but I suspect that will come through in one of the hotfixes/updates pretty soon.
7. The Map has been updated by quite a margin. You can now load terrain data and see exactly what areas during the critical phases of the flight need a bit more planning on. While the map already displayed FIR/UIR information from v1, v2 brings in prohibited/restricted/danger/training areas that allow you to hover your mouse above them for detailed information on altitude constraints, restrictions, activity type, etc. It can also show you AIRMETs/SIGMETs and airport weather trends.
8. There's a new 'Route Restrictions' tab in the Route Validation section showing you exactly what restrictions are in effect for your flight, both routes, as well as altitudes, are covered here.
9. There's a new feature called 'Aircraft Performance Monitoring' tool which you can access via your aircraft list. This will allow PFPX and you to monitor the fuel and drag bias on each type/registration, making active changes to its own calculation in future uses of that frame/type while letting you know exactly how big the discrepancy on each add-on aircraft you add to the program is. It even allows you to choose what to base those calculations on. End result: More precise and accurate numbers for you and the program calculations for future sectors.
10. A new 'Destination Area' chart that zooms in at your destination field and shows you the filed arrival into the intended field while also displaying alternates and the routing you'll be taking to fly there should the need arise. Great for situational awareness.
11. The 'Messages' tab after you've compiled your flight will tell you exactly what kind of restricted/danger/training areas you will be transiting through which coupled with the NOTAMs improves your awareness and expectations for rerouting from ATC should it be necessary.

The rest, generally, seems to be the same. Not that it is a complaint of any kind, most of it didn't need any changing anyway.

I suspect I will come across a few more items that have had some kind of work done to them but they'll likely only be visible when I dive into the deeper functions of PFPX and it can get pretty deep. When I'm in the mood, I could spend upwards of 30 minutes of planning and controlling almost every aspect of the flight plan. It's where PFPX excels anyway so why not take advantage of it?

Disclaimer: The above changes are just the things I've noticed and I'm in no way affiliated with the software developer or the publisher.
I am also not a real-world flight planner so please excuse any errors above.

Hope this helped!

Edited by krazyk
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, GSalden said:

Hotfiz 2.01 is out that should fix some bugs but there are still some important issues,

At this moment V1 seems a lot better...

Where did you get the hotfix, or is it a complete redownload.

Edit   ahh.... found it in the forums

Edited by Iceman2

Share this post


Link to post

@Iceman2

it's an attached exe-file in a sticky subject over on the PFPX support forums (aerosoft forums)

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Iceman2 said:

Where did you get the hotfix, or is it a complete redownload.

Thanks

Posted on the PFPX forum. Get it here.

Share this post


Link to post

I updated, seems OK, here and there some annoyances, but not really a deal breaker. Many good things though. Don't like Simbrief, and I generally like to stay away from web-based applications, if possible. Besides don't want to miss the custom export module which exports files in multiple directories, making me load everything really quickly after planing was done (usually means vpilot, Activesky, EFBv2, aircraft).

BUT: I did read about the restart without prompting, so I did close everything before installing, but if I had not... I would have been very very angry. This way I can only say that's a strict NO-GO.

I can only hope that was a miss from the dev and that this gets fixed asap. Like, right now!

Share this post


Link to post

there is an official log change.

 

btw if you are planning transatlantic flights you have a plotting chart that is really new and good.

 

ETOPS is way more easier as you type only the airports you want in and not the whole scenarios, some users may find it useful.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------
Professional Flight Planner X - http://flightsimsoft.com/pfpx
-------------------------------------------------------------

2.00 (04 DEC 2018)
------------------
- MULTIPLE NEW FUNCTION AND FEATURES

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, SimonC said:

I updated, seems OK, here and there some annoyances, but not really a deal breaker. Many good things though. Don't like Simbrief, and I generally like to stay away from web-based applications, if possible. Besides don't want to miss the custom export module which exports files in multiple directories, making me load everything really quickly after planing was done (usually means vpilot, Activesky, EFBv2, aircraft).

BUT: I did read about the restart without prompting, so I did close everything before installing, but if I had not... I would have been very very angry. This way I can only say that's a strict NO-GO.

I can only hope that was a miss from the dev and that this gets fixed asap. Like, right now!

 

If you do elect to go back to SimBrief, they have a really great downloaded tool that makes it a snap to export everything you need. 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Skiff said:

 

If you do elect to go back to SimBrief, they have a really great downloaded tool that makes it a snap to export everything you need. 

Didn't know - neat.

What about ActiveSky weather wx-file? PFPX loads it on the fly. How does that work for fuel planing?

Edited by SimonC

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, SimonC said:

Didn't know - neat.

What about ActiveSky weather wx-file? PFPX loads it on the fly. How does that work for fuel planing?

I use both; PFPX for domestic and SIMBRIEF for international. I find the latter to be far superior with NAT planning. To that point, SIMBRIEF is capable of planning an accurate flight plan using current NATs, SIDS, STARS  and ETOPS.  It does so with a click of a single button. Plus, it really excels at selecting the correct runways in use.  It doesn’t require a subscription to pull the current NATs; it does all this for free.  I find it ironic that PFPX V2 is adding features already available via SIMBRIEF.  To answer your question, SIMBRIEF  can use HiFi wx file to extract data.  I find it as accurate as PFPX; after all, Accounting for winds aloft is not a difficult arithmetic problem, once you have the data. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, krazyk said:

There is no official changelog to v2 or the hotfix v2.01 but here are some of the things I found updated/new:

1. The user interface has been updated
2. Performance has improved considerably (especially using auto-routing, alternate aerodromes planning, weather parsing)
3. Weather reports have been improved and now have a timeline to them aiding a user to see exactly when something noteworthy is expected to happen for the chosen airfields (things like Fog, Haze, reduction in visibility, etc - all have a color-coded highlight to them making it very simple to refer to a METAR/TAF and then getting an accurate timeline on when it is predicted for that particular condition to become active). Excellent for the hit & run pilots among us that just want to get a flight plan done within minutes.
4. NOTAMs have received a similar 'smart' function where it seems to read what it says and then tag it as such. For example, a NOTAM about a particular taxiway being closed will be tagged with a 'Taxiway' label. Similarly for obstacles in the form of construction at or around the fields in your flight plan will be marked as 'Obstacles', Runway changes would be tagged 'Runway', Unavailable parking would be tagged as 'Parking' and so on. You understand what I mean. Not necessary but highly effective in cutting down on reading time for the end user with such visual cues.
5. There's a new 'Company Information' tab I hope can also be integrated into the VA connection within PFPX. Presently, you can create your own Company NOTAMs if you like to fly a specific company often and if you're aware of certain NOTAMs they issue to their line pilots. Otherwise, this could say just about anything as you control what data is fed to the tab via self-created NOTAMs.
6. Flight vertical profile chart has been added with heaps of data embedded within. Items such as winds, turbulence, obstacles, Grid MORAs, expected en route times, alternate airfields (think ETPs or ETOPs range circles allowing you to know exactly until when a certain airfield is a viable enroute alternate, etc). One thing I do miss seeing in it is the Tropopause height but I suspect that will come through in one of the hotfixes/updates pretty soon.
7. The Map has been updated by quite a margin. You can now load terrain data and see exactly what areas during the critical phases of the flight need a bit more planning on. While the map already displayed FIR/UIR information from v1, v2 brings in prohibited/restricted/danger/training areas that allow you to hover your mouse above them for detailed information on altitude constraints, restrictions, activity type, etc. It can also show you AIRMETs/SIGMETs and airport weather trends.
8. There's a new 'Route Restrictions' tab in the Route Validation section showing you exactly what restrictions are in effect for your flight, both routes, as well as altitudes, are covered here.
9. There's a new feature called 'Aircraft Performance Monitoring' tool which you can access via your aircraft list. This will allow PFPX and you to monitor the fuel and drag bias on each type/registration, making active changes to its own calculation in future uses of that frame/type while letting you know exactly how big the discrepancy on each add-on aircraft you add to the program is. It even allows you to choose what to base those calculations on. End result: More precise and accurate numbers for you and the program calculations for future sectors.
10. A new 'Destination Area' chart that zooms in at your destination field and shows you the filed arrival into the intended field while also displaying alternates and the routing you'll be taking to fly there should the need arise. Great for situational awareness.
11. The 'Messages' tab after you've compiled your flight will tell you exactly what kind of restricted/danger/training areas you will be transiting through which coupled with the NOTAMs improves your awareness and expectations for rerouting from ATC should it be necessary.

The rest, generally, seems to be the same. Not that it is a complaint of any kind, most of it didn't need any changing anyway.

I suspect I will come across a few more items that have had some kind of work done to them but they'll likely only be visible when I dive into the deeper functions of PFPX and it can get pretty deep. When I'm in the mood, I could spend upwards of 30 minutes of planning and controlling almost every aspect of the flight plan. It's where PFPX excels anyway so why not take advantage of it?

Disclaimer: The above changes are just the things I've noticed and I'm in no way affiliated with the software developer or the publisher.
I am also not a real-world flight planner so please excuse any errors above.

Hope this helped!

Thanks for the detailed list!

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately, developers are still unable to create a flight plan for the Majestic Q400 -  one of the most ingenious planes ever developed ! 😞

 Or did I miss something ?

greetings

ggerolamo

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now