Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Do we Cancel Everything? You still Travelling??

35 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

In my work life it would drive me mad how reactive instead of proactive most management would be. They would ignore problems most front line workers could see coming way off. 

Wish I had a dollar for every time I sent a problem up the line only to have it ignored.

I could use that money to stockpile more toilet paper now...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alan_A said:

I could use that money to stockpile more toilet paper now...

If you can find any! Even Amazon is stock depleted. I did find and order some with the promist of "expected delivery" around May 1st through May 25th!

Fortunately I live alone and have six full rolls remaining in my linen closet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm not worried about TP, we've also got leaves 🤣

• Like 1

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

If you can find any! Even Amazon is stock depleted.

Tell me about it.  One of my several full-time jobs at the moment is grocery arbitrage - bidding for delivery slots, filling out the lists while trying to juggle among three different stores over a two-week range... and then the wonderful suspense when you open the bags and find out what actually got included.  It's thrilling!

2 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I'm not worried about TP, we've also got leaves 🤣

We don't even have any leaves here yet.

Maybe some old crinkly leaves from October.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

11 minutes ago, Mace said:

We don't even have any leaves here yet.

Maybe some old crinkly leaves from October.

True, I didn't think about that. I live in a temperate climate we always have leaves. Winter in the Northern Hemisphere so ya that explains the TP haul 

Matthew Kane

5 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

True, I didn't think about that. I live in a temperate climate we always have leaves. Winter in the Northern Hemisphere so ya that explains the TP haul 

I live in a temperate / mild climate too (sort of southern USA) but even here with that mild climate most trees are deciduous and lose their leaves.   You guys have more evergreens I think.   We do have magnolias but I can't imagine using magnolia leaves as TP.

I think the reason for the TP haul is that most people won't use leaves.  heh.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

23 minutes ago, Mace said:

I live in a temperate / mild climate too (sort of southern USA) but even here with that mild climate most trees are deciduous and lose their leaves.   You guys have more evergreens I think.   We do have magnolias but I can't imagine using magnolia leaves as TP.

I think the reason for the TP haul is that most people won't use leaves.  heh.

Yes we are leaves year round. I heard a theory about the TP is because in a disaster scenario when people don't know what to do they need a purpose in the confusion, hence the reason for the TP Mob Mentality. You look for direction and that was the best response from your immediate surroundings unfortunately. These are events we have never seen before in this lifetime and that mentality was spread faster then the actual virus 

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane

The maths of the virus

Ordinary flu : if you pass the virus to somebody else, after 10 such transmissions 14 people will get the flu

COVID-19 : after the same 10 transmissions, 59 000 people (yes fifty-nine thousands) will be infected

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, Alan_A said:

It seems that, as a species, we're much better at mobilizing against present threats than anticipating future ones.

Not that our present mobilization is particularly good, to put it mildly.  But the failure to plan and the warnings ignored... that's in an entirely different category.

Some of the HIV work I did was on prevention programs.  My brother-in-law is a social psychologist and worked on HIV prevention as well.  What I remember, mainly, is how fantastically difficult it was to get people to pay attention to something that was life threatening, but abstract and far in the future. 

Sort of like today.

The present threat is the threat we were anticipating at the time of the SRAS, a  little later of the H1N1 and when WMD were the topic of the day. This was 15/18 years ago. Yesterday. I know that   most politicians have the attention span of a goldfish but still…  

We know a little bit more how we came in France (good to live in a democracy)  to have almost no strategic reserves of FFP2 and surgical masks, a classic case of bureaucratic and political incompetence (https://www.franceculture.fr/politique/penurie-de-masques-les-raisons-dun-scandale-detat). I bet that you will find the same situation in other NATO countries. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Large department stores closed there doors this week McDonald`s are to shut all the outlet`s from today, I am now locked down for 12 weeks with my wife. Luckily my daughter will shop for us.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Seems like new issues keep cropping up. I've just had a call this morning from my dentist cancelling an appointment this week.  UK dentists have just been instructed that anything involving drilling is prohibited. Modern high speed drills use water sprays for cooling, and even slow speed drills often require the tooth to be irrigated afterwards to remove debris. The water spray creates a great means of transmission, so there is a risk for patient and dental staff.

I was already considering cancelling the appointment, since we are trying to maintain isolation, being in the average Avsim members age group. But the dental drill problem was something I had never considered, so be careful with your teeth in the months ahead.

• Like 1

John B

My daughter just let me know that someone she works with is infected.

Luckily, after returning from France she self isolated. So looking like she hasnt infected the rest of my daughters colleagues. Only 20 there, so would hit most of them if she had.

Meanwhile... my house is for sale. And Estate Agents seem to be still working. So no doubt encountering buyers and sellers and possible infection.

12 minutes ago, Biggles2010 said:

Seems like new issues keep cropping up. I've just had a call this morning from my dentist cancelling an appointment this week.  UK dentists have just been instructed that anything involving drilling is prohibited. Modern high speed drills use water sprays for cooling, and even slow speed drills often require the tooth to be irrigated afterwards to remove debris. The water spray creates a great means of transmission, so there is a risk for patient and dental staff.

I was already considering cancelling the appointment, since we are trying to maintain isolation, being in the average Avsim members age group. But the dental drill problem was something I had never considered, so be careful with your teeth in the months ahead.

So, when dentists in the UK enquire about what they should do, by asking: 'Okay then, what's the drill?'

The reply will be: 'The drill is, to not use drills'.

It's important to drill that into them.

Otherwise the crisis could bite down hard, and then rinse us.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

21 minutes ago, Chock said:

So, when dentists in the UK enquire about what they should do, by asking: 'Okay then, what's the drill?'

The reply will be: 'The drill is, to not use drills'.

It's important to drill that into them.

Otherwise the crisis could bite down hard, and then rinse us.

At least the authorities have got their teeth into this one.

John B