Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

First flight after update.

2 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Funny how it is always the same kinda people who has CTD issue. Nothing will stress a PC more than a flight sim. I don't remember ever having a CTD since the tech alpha. Buying good PC parts and making sure your thermal are good makes a huge difference. It is much easier to blame asobo

Sorry I did not know I had to get the computer specs from asobo  or microsoft in order to avoid CTD. or get the best performance.

Perhaps that explains why every patch or update breaks some thing.

Perhaps MSFS was designed only for folks that are more computer savvy than the average joe.

• Like 1

Robin

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

The only thing I have on my brand new PC is FS 2020. 

Have you checked the voltage rails and stability on your new PC Bob? As others have said, the sim is quite the stress test on all components, and if everything isn't set up out of the box for stability it will manifest in things like CTDs and bluescreens. I've just finished troubleshooting another PC and it turned out to the vcore needed a bump. Also make sure that the pcie power connectors are direct connects from the power supply (and not daisy chained). 

19 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Have you checked the voltage rails and stability on your new PC Bob? As others have said, the sim is quite the stress test on all components, and if everything isn't set up out of the box for stability it will manifest in things like CTDs and bluescreens. I've just finished troubleshooting another PC and it turned out to the vcore needed a bump. Also make sure that the pcie power connectors are direct connects from the power supply (and not daisy chained). 

Check out this thread on the MSFS 2020 forum. Almost 3,000 posts. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/crash-to-desktop-without-error-message/130085

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Romeo_Tango said:

I guess most of us must have bought brand new junk PCs, that's a heck of a coincident. On top of which, those of us that run other apps eg. racing sims. have no problems with them. Just MSFS. 

Not to worry I drank the cool aid for a long time too.

This last fiasco that has one again fixed some things, and broken another has me thinking, perhaps this sim is not ready for prime time.

No wonder the 3star rating in the Microsoft store. 

Frustrated.

you lost credibility the moment you started talking about cool aid. sorry you just dont have a competent knowledge set to use a PC proficiently and have the ability to determine what updates on your end work for you.

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Check out this thread on the MSFS 2020 forum. Almost 3,000 posts. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/crash-to-desktop-without-error-message/130085

To be honest, out of those 3000 post not nearly half are actual posts from people with CTD, but rather people trying to help and giving advice. So much for the numbers. And even if it were 3000 people with CTD, remember that the sim was sold more than 1 million times, so 3000 users having CTD is still a very small number.

• Like 4

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

No CTD but the 747 still floated down the runway on a landing attempt. Started a fresh flight with the default A320 and it looks as if all my dead zones and sensitivities have reset (again).

And this is the platform add on developers will be expecting us to pay upwards of £50 for a middle of the road third party aircraft...

I have had my share of CTDs in FSX and P3D and a few,  but luckily not many in MSFS. In my experience (I cannot comment on anyone else’s set up) there are two things that have mattered and made a difference to me

1. Good quality hardware - I have a 2014 PC that was built for gaming and Flightim by a company who used components that they knew worked well for Flight simming. In spite of peripheral upgrades since then it is still doing great for music, video editing and a great job with MSFS on quite high settings.

2. Software - 99% of my problems with the sim were either due Windows, registry or old drivers. The latest version of Win 10 has had its issues, esp last year, and that underlined the importance of keeping Windows, drivers and all controllers - and the MSFS community mods! - up to date. 

I’m not qualified to pass judgement on other people’s issues or problems with MSFS, but given the above, I very rarely get CTDs on my old PC that were due to MSFS. This is a massive improvement on P3D (5) where so many CTDs were caused by the sim (or add-ons in Beta)...

Ray 

It's all good and welll to state it's your PC or some hardware, cooling issue. But when the said PC works perfectly since the last World update, then suddenly right after yet another Hotfix, the CTD's return immediatly.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I'd also emphasise the extent to which one needs to become something of an expert in order to keep their PC in tip top shape for a simulator eg MSFS. Flight sims are enormously demanding of PC resources and correct settings, in way most games are really not.

An example of that recently is when I was having some CTDs in MSFS, I read somewhere that a registry entry might be missing from Win10 (tdrLevel) and that I should add it. I did that and the CTDs did not come back. This may help some people of course, but I cannot know for sure whether it helped me as I was updating other drivers and add-ons as well - although some say it does. But you do have to be able to know your computer at that level to really get to grips with issues.

Ray

9 hours ago, Cmcollazo71 said:

I really do think it’s an issue with your system on your end. 

You have so many posts regarding CTDs and I have yet to have a single one since release, so I don’t think it’s the sim...

You're one of the lucky ones then, fact is CTDs happen and the fault can lie squarely with the Sim in some of those cases. Just because you don't get them don't assume it's all "user error"

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

So I spent almost 230 hours on the simulation without any CTD!
Then 1 week before the WU CTD on almost all flights!
I removed Turbo Boost and XMP profile in the BIOS disabled Windows HAGS emptied the community folder I disabled windows defender and the windows update service before each flight I tried everything (on a clean windows) I practically read all the topic on the forum MFS2020 and CTD over and over again!

And one day I said go lost for lost I uninstalled all the windows updates!
And at the same time followed this manipulation https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/gpu-drivers-crash-with-long-computations-128745489.html

And now I have started flying again seriously never had a CTD!

The problem is seen that I made the 2 at the same time I do not know if it is a windows update or to have put the TdrDelay on 60

And I dare not touch anything now that it works ....

Today I am flying in ULTRA (well ok I don't have the fluidity that I would like on Orly but I only have a 1080)
I was able to reactivate the turboboost as well as the XMP profile
the windows HAGS (I see no difference activated or not)

I just disable my windows defender and windows update
I no longer update my PC
And a little CCleaner before each flight (it's probably psychological lol )

Edited by Axis3600
RAS

Well I haven't had a CTD since the sim's release last year. After this hotfix I've now had two with default aircraft mid-flight. What a bummer. 

Edited by Jeeper
Spelling

I have OLD hardware (8-9 year old o/c i5 and a GTX980) and my OS install is upgraded from 7 to 10. I get no CTDs so I don't think system spec or age of hardware is a contributory factor to CTD.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I had quite some more than just occasional CTDs before WU3 but since WU3 and also after the hotfix all fine. Most stable version ever. Maybe your rigs are just too fast :-).

On a serious note I dare to repeat myself which helped me to have not 1 CTD even 2-3 weeks before WU3:

- disable  photogrammetry 

- disable live ATC

- disable live traffic

- disable multiplayer 

Then try MSFS and check whether you still get CTDs. Yes, sucks to kick these things out but it helped me (prior WU3) to fly CTD free. You can add them back in one after another to possibly find a culprit but I did not succeed, may be just a combination of either of these online features which may or may not cause hiccups under certain circumstances when the CPU/GPU is flooded with excessive data e.g. when approaching and loading an airport with big (online) activity. 

What I had and have always on is live weather. Will not fly w/o it. Since WU3 I turned even live ATC and multiplayer back on and all fine. Just live aircraft and photogrammetry are still off. 

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Usually 90% CTD created by freeware in the Community folder. 😀

• Like 3