Sign in to follow this  
Slides

This sim needs Weather System Updates

What it has right now is amazing (when it works), but weather IRL is extremely dynamic and way more variable and complex than in the sim currently. 

I hope after the current updates in the pipeline, they can focus back on the expanding the weather modeling. This is a central part of the ecosystem they are creating that only they can update.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, cirrus clouds plus the many other types of clouds that exist IRL. Also, would be cool to have a custom weather simulation (not live weather)  with more precise fog and visibility settings. And other settings which would lead to dynamic cloud and weather system generation. 

There's a lot more room to play here for MS/Asobo. They have just cracked the surface. I honestly would pay for a weather system DLC. It's a critical part of our planet and aviation. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 5

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

+1

Asus P6T deluxe v.2 MB, i7 940 3.5ghz CPU, 6gb ddr3 1600 Ram, ,1K watt Antec PS, 300gb 10k rpm vraptor HDD, Windows 7pro 64, nvidea 470 GTX, Track IR4, Matrox TH2G w/21" displays, Saitek X52 pro hotas and yoke, CH pedels, Butt Kicker

1 hour ago, Slides said:

What it has right now is amazing (when it works), but weather IRL is extremely dynamic and way more variable and complex than in the sim currently. 

I hope after the current updates in the pipeline, they can focus back on the expanding the weather modeling. This is a central part of the ecosystem they are creating that only they can update.

Hurricanes, tornadoes, cirrus clouds plus the many other types of clouds that exist IRL. Also, would be cool to have a custom weather simulation (not live weather)  with more precise fog and visibility settings. And other settings which would lead to dynamic cloud and weather system generation. 

There's a lot more room to play here for MS/Asobo. They have just cracked the surface. I honestly would pay for a weather system DLC. It's a critical part of our planet and aviation. 

Fingers crossed Damian and the team crack this sooner than later,  Definitely lots of room for improvement here!  

• Like 3

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

This seems like the lowest piece of fruit and most obvious thing they need to tackle.  To me this combined with the AI.  But it appears AIG may have something on the AI

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

MSFS has the best built-in weather system of all sims I have ever used. I've been flying the DC-6 a lot in the last weeks, and did not experience any significant discrepancies when compared to the Meteoblue weather maps that I use during flight prep.

Everything can improve but, at least for me, the native WX system is not nearly as bad as its reputation.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Before expanding which would be of course welcome, a serious overhaul is needed : debuging their existing live weather engine (cf.  temperature in altitude, lightnings, absence of clouds, etc) and a weather UI worth its name (complete weather briefing, reliable atis and windsocks).

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

58 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

MSFS has the best built-in weather system of all sims I have ever used. I've been flying the DC-6 a lot in the last weeks, and did not experience any significant discrepancies when compared to the Meteoblue weather maps that I use during flight prep.

Everything can improve but, at least for me, the native WX system is not nearly as bad as its reputation.

I took off yesterday in Denmark and flew to Norway in the DC6. Taking off, I had poor vis and broke out between layers at around 10,000 feet.  Arriving in Norway, it was pouring rain, and I rode the ILS down to minimums, before I could see the runway lights, with the rain even heavier. I landed, and the runway was covered with water and rain. Most realistic exciting approach I have ever seen in all my years of simming with FS and P3D and add on weather. I am one simmer that will stick with MSFS 2020 default weather. 

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

58 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

In my experiences (yes CURRENTLY), EVERY MSFS event of flying in or near rain is accompanied with flashes of lightning every few seconds.  In your real world exposure to rain showers (summer included), do YOU see lightning every few seconds flashing around you ???? 

• Like 2

WAT1460.png

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

From witnessing reports over the past almost year now, including recently, this seems to depend highly on what region of the world you are flying.  It would be helpful when reporting discrepancies to more often indicate what area was being flown.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, GCBraun said:

I think MSFS is capable of being the best built in weather system.  Especially when it matches real word and handles transitions.  But many of us fly on vatsim where real world weather is important.  Unfortunately, it's a known fact that we can't rely on msfs for that yet.  My fingers are crossed this changes.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Answering to the comments above: I have been flying SE-Asia and Australia lately and generally the weather fronts and clouds are where I expect based on live weather maps from Meteoblue. It would be great if those were properly integrated into the Sim's UI.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

in north america one of the easiest tests is to match real world pressure with in sim. I'll often compare conditions in sim with my Aeroweather app.  that's where it's easy to see the delta

• Like 1

Accurate MSFS Wx is a primary flight simulation component and it does not work reliably.  It is my hope that MetoBlue will hold Asobo's feet to the fire, as it is their name on the tin.  As others have stated, when it does work, it's truly goal post moving... but then there are often times where arrival conditions are not what METAR says they ought to be. Getting this bit reliably correct is a fundamental aspect of anything that purports to be a "Flight Simulator" and I do hope that it gets higher priority soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

1 hour ago, vcarlo said:

In my experiences (yes CURRENTLY), EVERY MSFS event of flying in or near rain is accompanied with flashes of lightning every few seconds.  In your real world exposure to rain showers (summer included), do YOU see lightning every few seconds flashing around you ???? 

The lightning bug is well known and long past a fix, they half fixed it once but it's still prevalent so they need to address this ASAP once this week has past.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

Just as the various limitations and quirks with flight dynamics and systems modeling, ground physics, etc..., weather is really looking for ASOBO's attention.

I hope that now they reached their xBox target, and after a well earned period of holidays they can start directing their attention to this areas. Meanwhile, I really look fwd to test this SU5 update 😁

12 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Accurate MSFS Wx is a primary flight simulation component and it does not work reliably.  It is my hope that MetoBlue will hold Asobo's feet to the fire, as it is their name on the tin.  As others have stated, when it does work, it's truly goal post moving... but then there are often times where arrival conditions are not what METAR says they ought to be. Getting this bit reliably correct is a fundamental aspect of anything that purports to be a "Flight Simulator" and I do hope that it gets higher priority soon.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...