Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Rex Weather Force

One more question on weather force for you all.  Do you find it being good for longer airliner flights?  When I load a flight plan, I upload from simbrief, not in MSFS.  Therefore I only select my starting airport.  Does it only work if you upload through msfs and select the destination?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

11 hours ago, knich said:

Are you doing this at world map or once you hit fly now?

During a flight.

I bought REX way back and have not had issues that kept me from using. I find the visibility and clouds are good and more realistic. Not sure why the clouds seem smoother and I asked that question on another thread. Maybe it is because the visibility restricts the pixilated clouds from popping out. I do not know but it works for me and I do not get a framerate hit now. I did early on though.

• Like 1

Chris Chiozza

14 minutes ago, cchiozza said:

I bought REX way back and have not had issues that kept me from using. I find the visibility and clouds are good and more realistic. Not sure why the clouds seem smoother and I asked that question on another thread. Maybe it is because the visibility restricts the pixilated clouds from popping out. I do not know but it works for me and I do not get a framerate hit now. I did early on though.

Hi @cchiozza, could you post your settings for REX WF, please? Curious to know how you manage to get away without an FPS hit. I have not been able to find a combination that works well. The only way it works for me without FPS hits is if I close the app after the weather is injected.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abennett said:

Those using REX now, what settings are you using for smooth transitions with no FPS hit?

You'd have to uninstall it...

• Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

On 1/1/2022 at 7:21 PM, Cognita said:

I do not have the product and so will not comment on how well it works -- there have certainly been mixed reviews.

The last heated thread on this subject found the loudest naysayer finally mentioning he would never purchase the app.  Despite all his spitting it turned out he had never used it.

I have had very good recent success with MSFS live weather, but when it is not working as it should, REX WF is still my fall back, and it has been reliable with no performance hits.   I purchased it over a year ago when it was critical, and keep it updated and within quick reach.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, Flic1 said:

You'd have to uninstall it...

why  would you want  to do  that for,  and  what was  the fps  hits  that  you were experiencing

• Like 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

7 hours ago, fppilot said:

I have had very good recent success with MSFS live weather, but when it is not working as it should, REX WF is still my fall back, and it has been reliable with no performance hits.   I purchased it over a year ago when it was critical, and keep it updated and within quick reach.

Same here.

Before I fire up a flight, I check Metars and webcams. Then compare MSFS Live Weather with the weather that REX Weather Force and make a decision on which one to use.

Works for me.

• Like 1

@cchiozza, @fppilot, @Ricardo41 Could you share the settings you apply in REX WF, please.

As mentioned earlier up in the thread I am struggling with finding a combination that doesn't lead to FPS loss and/or abrupt transitions.

I'd really like to have a viable option of switching between MSFS Live and REX WF as and when needed, as mentioned by some.

You are welcome to DM me as well, lest we add fire to an ever-hot topic here :-)

59 minutes ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

Could you share the settings you apply in REX WF, please.

Here is an image of my settings screen.  Note that Persistent Weather Load overrides any value set on the Adjust Weather Transitions Rates slider.  Responding here as my system specs are in my message footer below.  If I use one or the other of those rather than Enable Instant Weather Load then I seem to avoid the oft reported sudden transition.

image.png.25fb47852233916449d9637c6f753624.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, SuperKaro2014 said:

@cchiozza, @fppilot, @Ricardo41 Could you share the settings you apply in REX WF, please.

I use "Enable Persistent Weather Load" and an update rate of every 20 mins.  I do get a FPS drop (about 5-7 fps) for about 20-30 seconds during the update cycle. I should add I use REX vs Live as LIVE is rarely accurate in cloud coverage and/or cloud appearance IMHO. Also,  I lock FPS at 45 in NVIDIA CP (as recommended here) >>> https://www.flightsimulator.blog/2022/01/18/performance-boost-tricks/ . When REX updates updates my FPS may drop into  the upper  30's.

Edited by vcarlo

WAT1460.png

4 hours ago, vcarlo said:

I use "Enable Persistent Weather Load" and an update rate of every 20 mins.

I have searched on the REX site and on their Discord site for an FAQ document and came up empty.  The User Manual is a bit shallow in some respects.  The questions I have relate to the Adjust Weather Updates rate, and the Adjust Weather Transition Rates.  Please correct me if I am incorrect as I have found no guidance from REX.  

I am using 10 minutes for the Updates rate and have the Transition Rate slider full to the right (slowest).  My question is which settings work best for Persistent Weather Load.  What I am interest in learning is this.  If the Update Rate is longer, such as 25 minutes, does that force REX WF to load more information at that time to play catch up versus perhaps using a shorter rate, like 10 minutes or 5 minutes?  And might that cause an abrupt transition?  And for the transition rate, what is the observed difference between a short transition rate and a longer transition rate.

Has any other member here who actually uses REX WF done any testing on these questions?

Frank Patton
ASUS 

45 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I have searched on the REX site and on their Discord site for an FAQ document and came up empty.  The User Manual is a bit shallow in some respects.  The questions I have relate to the Adjust Weather Updates rate, and the Adjust Weather Transition Rates.  Please correct me if I am incorrect as I have found no guidance from REX.  

I am using 10 minutes for the Updates rate and have the Transition Rate slider full to the right (slowest).  My question is which settings work best for Persistent Weather Load.  What I am interest in learning is this.  If the Update Rate is longer, such as 25 minutes, does that force REX WF to load more information at that time to play catch up versus perhaps using a shorter rate, like 10 minutes or 5 minutes?  And might that cause an abrupt transition?  And for the transition rate, what is the observed difference between a short transition rate and a longer transition rate.

Has any other member here who actually uses REX WF done any testing on these questions?

Excellent questions ! Would love to see Reed pop in here with answers.  What I assume is the 10, 20, or 30 minute update is when REX actually polls the servers for current conditions at your current position.  My experience has been heavy FPS hits with "Enable Instant Weather Load" and less of FPS hits on "Enable Persistent Load"  hence the reason I have chosen the latter.  Since i frown upon the FPS hits during an update, I chose 20 mins instead of 10.  Actually I think I'm going to go with 30 minute updates in the future.  Keep in mind,  METARS are only updated once an hour anyways.

WAT1460.png