Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Please vote for historic weather

23 minutes ago, Sethos said:

or you could argue, if you take your realism seriously, you fly live weather and live time and the challenges that bring. 

Great suggestion! On that basis, I'd never be able to sim in Aus/NZ or on the Pacific Coast in the Americas during daylight hours ever again.

Well worth the upgrade to MSFS for the streamed ortho ground textures then...

Edited by F737MAX
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 minute ago, F737MAX said:

Great suggestion! On that basis, I'd never be able to sim in Aus/NZ or on the Pacific Coast in the Americas during daylight hours ever again.

Oh no, anyways. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

I do not take any sim seriously, because I sit in front of a computer. And if I want to do a looping with a 737, I will do it. The word "serious" isn't really sth which fits for simming, becaue there is no definition what is "serious" for everyone. not to say, that today could be a very serious simming day, tomorrow I do loopings. Beside this, I think it is even more "serious" to have the correct weather at any time instead of using presets

Back to historical weather.

Some arguments for it:

• most have a daytime job the whole day. Imagine winter season, where it is dark here in Germany at 16:00. "Serious simmers"  can't not fly VFR anymore some month if they have to work.
  • Weather at night is significantly different from weather during day (temps, clouds etc), so it is not enough to just switch daytime on, when you want to fly in daytime.
  • morning fog, really nice low visibility, but when I get back from home, all fog is gone (yes, you can now load a weather preset, but is that better then real (historical) weather?)
  • Stormy weather: you'd like to train and recreate that difficult storm several times
  • You have been flying in a real airplane and want to recreate that flight as real as it gets when you are back home again
  • You simply want to train or fly the same interesting weather with different aircrafts to see how they behave

and so on.

At last, adding historical weather does not harm or degrade the simming experience for anyone, it just adds a lot more realism and immersion ... and maybe some could fly then be much more serious! 😉 

Edited by guenseli
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are many reasons why historical weather should be in there. @guenseli has already pointed most of them out. There are no disadvantages for having historical weather in the sim apart from the fact that Asobo has to spend some time making it possible.

Saying that historical weather is unrealistic is like saying flightsims are unrealistic. We should all go out and fly real aircraft instead!

At the very least Asobo should record the last 24 hours of weather. A bonus advantage is that when flying in the past the weather engine already knows what the next weather snapshot will be and can create more precise transitions.
Ultimately, 365 days of historical weather will give us believable weather for any region and any season so I think that should be the goal. The amount of data is small considering what is already stored in Bing.

• Upvote 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I had historic weather in P3D with Active Sky. I could count on one hand how many times I used it. I like real weather too much. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I had historic weather in P3D with Active Sky. I could count on one hand how many times I used it. I like real weather too much. 

Same here, I like to see in the sim what it's doing out the window and what the real world METAR says regardless of my sim time...  

But that's my preference and I understand why others desire historical weather and hopefully it can be accomplished.  I mean maybe I'm oversimplifying but if they can read Meteoblue and interpret it for real time why can't they do a global snapshot of historical readings and inject those into the sim.  It seems the harder part of injecting real time live weather has already been accomplished so it "should" just be reading the old data and outputting that depiction to the sim... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Done, voted. I've always flown with historic weather in p3d, it's a must in msfs. #1 priority. This is the best way to replicate a flight anywhere in the world with all the data possible through flightradar24 for example. Nothing beats that. You know the Departing gate, taxi route, departing rwy, FL, weather obviously, turn around time, etc, etc. Every now and then I used live weather. It's really a shame msfs didn't bring this yet, they are 2 years late.

Edited by SergioN

Sergio Naiberg

Just now, SergioN said:

Done, I've always flown with historic weather in p3d, it's a must in msfs. #1 priority.

and herein lies the rub.  For some it is their #1 priority and for others they could literally care less.  So for Asobo it's a "decision" to make whereas at the same time there are also things that almost all simmers are unanimous need to be addressed.  

So if you are Asobo do you prioritize the things that impact almost everyone or the more preferential features like historical weather which only a subset of the user base is asking for? 

I get their position but also understand why some are upset about it.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

29 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

And I could count on one hand how many times I used real live weather LOL I almost always flew with AS historic weather for various reasons.

Having said that... after being forced to use real live weather with MSFS I kinda like it... It forces you to accept things how they are and deal with it. And it does make the entire experience feel more real too because of that. And that adds to the fun.

So if historic weather will be added I will definitely use it but absolutely and certainly not almost always as I did in P3D!

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, psolk said:

and herein lies the rub.  For some it is their #1 priority and for others they could literally care less.  So for Asobo it's a "decision" to make whereas at the same time there are also things that almost all simmers are unanimous need to be addressed.  

So if you are Asobo do you prioritize the things that impact almost everyone or the more preferential features like historical weather which only a subset of the user base is asking for? 

I get their position but also understand why some are upset about it.  

That's why there is a vote system. And nothing against the people that want historical weather in MSFS, but priority should be given to the most upvoted Wishlist items. As of this moment, historical weather isn't even within the top 40 most upvoted Wishlist items: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/self-service/wishlist/163/l/latest?order=votes

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

17 minutes ago, tup61 said:

And I could count on one hand how many times I used real live weather LOL I almost always flew with AS historic weather for various reasons.

Having said that... after being forced to use real live weather with MSFS I kinda like it... It forces you to accept things how they are and deal with it. And it does make the entire experience feel more real too because of that. And that adds to the fun.

So if historic weather will be added I will definitely use it but absolutely and certainly not almost always as I did in P3D!

Exactly. Historic weather, you know what to expect. Real weather is like flying in real life, you never know what is coming up next.

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

51 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

If you do Inter-Continental flights all the time, then how would you fly, for example, from South Africa to Australia and have the correct weather, when the flight is 14 hours and the time difference is 8hours?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Just now, IanHarrison said:

when the flight is 14 hours and the time difference is 8hours?

?

Historical weather means, that time is passing also.

• Like 2

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester