Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The AVSIM Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

September 2026 Developer Livestream

Featured Replies

4 hours ago, Farlis said:

But the distance at which it happens is usually acceptable an only glaringly obvious with a couple of models.

I fully agree. I have to assume those whose immersion is being destroyed are hardly paying attention to flying the plane. Here's something they should consider trying: use something like Self Loading Cargo to keep you focused on something other than fricking landing gear. Fly for perfect score in plane and crew management. To be completely honest I've seen this, but it's so insignificant it's truly irrelevant for me and it's sad others let this impair their experience in an otherwise truly amazing flight sim.

That being said, and I suggested this to Umberto years ago though he ignored doing it, and this 'solution' would affect ALL pop-in behaviors. If pop-in is needed to cope with performance issues this would likely attenuate a great deal of people's troubles with it: instead of abruptly appearing objects, FADE them such that it grabs attention less. Haven't a clue what processing demands that would require but I bet it would help those disturbed by this.

Noel

System:  9900X3D Noctua NH-D15 G2, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL  64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Front Edge Sync.

Aircraft used in MSFS 2024:  Fenix A320,  Aerosoft CRJs, I-Fly 737 MAX 8, PMDG 777-200LR, Citation Longitude.

 

  • Replies 219
  • Views 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Better FPS and Performance: at a HUGE cost of downgrading visuals. This is what has been happening and it's terrible. We know how LODs work (maybe some don't) but they didn't mention that they've kill

  • usernamerequired
    usernamerequired

    Here's an AI breakdown: Sim Update 7 Planned release: October 13, 2026. Includes the free National Championship Air Races mode. Continued performance, stability and crash improvements. Career-mode

  • St Mawgan
    St Mawgan

    Currently on my way from KABQ to KVGT in the Citation X and genuinely feeling sorry for those who only see the negative. I can see the 14 year old me and his Psion Flight Simulator on his Spectrum an

12 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

You clearly do not have a clue what is important to other flight simmers, so I am not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

Nor, to be fair, do you... or me, or any of us. We only speak for ourselves.

I can see the culling that bothers you so much when I look for it, but I don't generally notice it in normal usage. Consequently, a fix is so far down my list of wants that it's barely there. I do recognize that others feel differently, however. What I notice is traffic hopping up and down while taxiing (or occasionally, even sitting on the ramp) and it drives me &*^%$#, Yet I never see it mentioned. So, yeah... we all see things uniquely and none of us speaks for "other flight simmers". None of us.

That said, what the person you were responding to was getting at was about keeping some balance and perspective, and when reading these kinds of threads I would agree that some have lost those things. Especially when I see folks putting on the rose colored glasses about P3D and FSX in comparison.

Scott

Edited by tttocs

37 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

You clearly do not have a clue what is important to other flight simmers, so I am not going to waste my time trying to explain it to you.

already wasted maybe 30secs...

Ramon De Valencia

AMD 9950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000MHz / RTX 5090 / 1200 watt PSU

MSFS 2020 and 2024

18 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Carenado 206 - will it have a working TDS GTNxi glide path? I'm guessing, not if they do Aspen as an option.

All their panels look the same... C182Q/RG, C210, C206. Like maybe try a more modern panel for the 206 or something. It's not a junky C172 lol.

I agree, their cockpit models are copy and paste. As someone who's flown a real newer T206 I wouldn't mind a more modern G1000 cockpit because its an incredible aircraft.

29 minutes ago, Noel said:

I have to assume those whose immersion is being destroyed are hardly paying attention to flying the plane.

Funny that this argument comes over and over again. Simple return question: why you dont use P3D or even FSX anymore then? You have equally good levels of simulation for addon planes in this sim, all perfect, no? I bet the reason is simple: visual quality. Even you, posting that one should concentrate rather on flying the plane mainly uses MSFS2024 for the visual level this sim provides, if you are honest. So no, your consideration helps nothing, it is just not your focus, fine, for us it is immersion killing.

Same goes with this ridiculous group of simmers who continue to claim that visual quality is not relevant when flying tubeliners. Yet they all use MSFS2024. Why? Of course NOT because the visual quality of the sim, bah. I am at least honest with myself: I use MSFS2024 because it is the best looking sim. And yes, if visual quality is a thing, this landing gear culling ruins a lot. And yes, while I am taxiing to the runway, I do NOT need to concentrate on much else, taxiing a 777 does NOT use up all my intellectual resources, so I can look around, be amazed by the graphics of the virtual cockpit, of the airport scenery, of the details. And then I see those bloody AI planes floating around... and my enthusiam is ruined. Good for you if you can overlook such things, I cant.

But of course, I am more tolerant in other aspects other simmers put their focus on. That is how it is. But I am also not running around in forums lecturing them that their focus is wrong and that they should do other things to not recognize the issue...

Greetings, Chris

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D, 2x32GB DDR5 6000MT/s RAM, MSI RTX 4090 Ventus 3X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS2024

48 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Simple return question: why you dont use P3D or even FSX anymore then? You have equally good levels of simulation for addon planes in this sim, all perfect, no? I bet the reason is simple: visual quality. Even you, posting that one should concentrate rather on flying the plane mainly uses MSFS2024 for the visual level this sim provides, if you are honest.

That's a stupid rhetorical question, of course it's largely visual quality. Visual quality extends to EVERYTHING: plane texture details, terrain, near photorealistic coloration, polygon details in 2024, mesh detail, etc.

Back at you: why do YOU think it's virtually irrelevant to myself and likely a majority of others that don't let something like missing landing gear nearly out of visual range destroy their experience enough to whine about it nearly every chance they can? I'll answer it for you: it's a case of inability of those folks to see the forest for a few bum trees, they're perfectionists which comes at a cost. I pity those who let something like that impair their experience and again, flying for score, managing crew while doing it, etc all help to get one out of unidimensional focus on absolute visual perfection.

Noel

System:  9900X3D Noctua NH-D15 G2, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL  64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Front Edge Sync.

Aircraft used in MSFS 2024:  Fenix A320,  Aerosoft CRJs, I-Fly 737 MAX 8, PMDG 777-200LR, Citation Longitude.

 

Talking about unidimensional focus without even knowing anything about whether or not I and others do enjoy the sim even though we find this issue immersion killing. Maybe step down from your horse and stop lecturing others? If YOU are not bothered by this issue, good for you. We are, so we express our anger about the devs being obviously unable to understand the point. End of the story.

Greetings, Chris

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D, 2x32GB DDR5 6000MT/s RAM, MSI RTX 4090 Ventus 3X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS2024

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

You have equally good levels of simulation for addon planes in this sim, all perfect, no?

Bit of an aside, but - as a GA flyer, the planes I fly in 2024 are worlds better than what I had available in P3D/FSX. A2A were the only ones who had flight models that compared - of course done by going outside the sim. Today's best 2024 GA planes are superior in almost every way to what was available in those old sims.

FSX/P3D also had nowhere near the stability that I get with 2024, nor the performance, nor weather that reached to the horizon, nor fronts... I could go on and on. Yes, I love MSFS's visuals and they're certainly a part of why I don't still fly P3D (or that other sim), but visuals aren't even close to being the whole story.

Scott

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

Rather embarassing how obvious it gets when watching the vid that Seb has absolutely no clue what Chewwy is talking about in regard of the AI landing gear issue. How can that be, seriously... I do not have enough hands for the facepalm level this triggers...

Right? It's EVERYWHERE. Every aircraft.

The only way you wouldn't know is if you either don't care for having traffic in the sim, or you fly without traffic.

Marco D'Agostino

8 hours ago, Farlis said:

He is totally correct. I use the AIG packages and almost none of the included aircraft suffer the problem. But a few select ones do very much. It's particularly bad with the 787.

You have any evidence of this? Otherwise I don't believe this. It happens with every single aircraft. But yes, it happenens with the 787 earlier than most other aircraft.

Marco D'Agostino

7 hours ago, AnkH said:

That is true, I am not that negative considering the MSFS2024 as full product taking into account ALL it can provide. It is my number one sim, I love it, flightsimming was never better and did never look better for me. But that doesnt mean everything is gold, no? Of course I can live with the missing AI landing gear, but it remains THE number one immersion killer for me when doing flights in and out of big hubs using AI traffic. Lets be honest: the sim looks like a photoreal rendition of the world, even more now with DLSS5, and yet there are such little bugs having such a huge impact. That is just... a shame? Nothing more or less...

It's definitely a great sim visually. But the landing gear issue was never a problem in simulators 10-20 years ago. And I still see the same decades old method of copy paste copy paste for clouds extending into the distance when seen from cruise.

Marco D'Agostino

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I fully agree. I have to assume those whose immersion is being destroyed are hardly paying attention to flying the plane. Here's something they should consider trying: use something like Self Loading Cargo to keep you focused on something other than fricking landing gear. Fly for perfect score in plane and crew management. To be completely honest I've seen this, but it's so insignificant it's truly irrelevant for me and it's sad others let this impair their experience in an otherwise truly amazing flight sim.

That being said, and I suggested this to Umberto years ago though he ignored doing it, and this 'solution' would affect ALL pop-in behaviors. If pop-in is needed to cope with performance issues this would likely attenuate a great deal of people's troubles with it: instead of abruptly appearing objects, FADE them such that it grabs attention less. Haven't a clue what processing demands that would require but I bet it would help those disturbed by this.

Now this I don't really understand. This is something that is GLARINGLY noticable even when you are paying attention to flying the plane. At least for me.

Marco D'Agostino

1 hour ago, Noel said:

That's a stupid rhetorical question, of course it's largely visual quality. Visual quality extends to EVERYTHING: plane texture details, terrain, near photorealistic coloration, polygon details in 2024, mesh detail, etc.

Back at you: why do YOU think it's virtually irrelevant to myself and likely a majority of others that don't let something like missing landing gear nearly out of visual range destroy their experience enough to whine about it nearly every chance they can? I'll answer it for you: it's a case of inability of those folks to see the forest for a few bum trees, they're perfectionists which comes at a cost. I pity those who let something like that impair their experience and again, flying for score, managing crew while doing it, etc all help to get one out of unidimensional focus on absolute visual perfection.

"missing landing gear nearly out of visual range"

This is horribly inaccurate. The landing gear disappear long before the aircraft is beyond visual range.

In fact, there's no such thing as beyond visual range in this sim, because the entire aircraft disappears when it should still be visible in the distance.

So a scenario where ATC tells you to report traffic in sight is actually often not possible in the sim. Sometimes I'll see contrails, but no visible aircraft.

Marco D'Agostino

Are there posts from other threads here on avsim or elsewhere that gives the latest technical details and summary of the problem? I went searching on MSFS devsupport and found this post from Kaiii with somewhat recent updates and responses from others: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-culls-model-parts-and-ignores-lods-of-the-model/17174

Looks like "FlyingRaccoon" (Sylvain) might be an Asobo dev?, their response here points to some suggestions: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/sim-culls-model-parts-and-ignores-lods-of-the-model/17174/10 ... other 3rd party devs also provided more details/info, but no response from Asobo on this thread since Jun 12th looks like.

There's mention of the "invisible cube" workaround that model devs can use I guess, not ideal of course. Would be good to get the latest thoughts from 3rd party devs and whatever other communications they've had (or not) with MSFS above and beyond public forums.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

2 hours ago, Noel said:

I fully agree. I have to assume those whose immersion is being destroyed are hardly paying attention to flying the plane. Here's something they should consider trying: use something like Self Loading Cargo to keep you focused on something other than fricking landing gear. Fly for perfect score in plane and crew management. To be completely honest I've seen this, but it's so insignificant it's truly irrelevant for me and it's sad others let this impair their experience in an otherwise truly amazing flight sim.

This isn't a case of "letting it affect us". It is not something that we can switch on or off. As for not paying attention to flying the plane.....are you seriously suggesting that we are somehow "lesser" flight simmers by doing this? Must we always have our eyes glued to the instruments to be classed as "true flight simmers"? One of the main reasons why I fly a semi automated aircraft like the PMDG 737 is precisely so I have the time to look out of the window and enjoy the scenery.

I also have a great eye for detail, so I notice little things. Now, you may consider this a weakness (and maybe it is), but there is nothing that I can do about it. It is a part of me, and is also the reason why I think that I am a pretty good beta tester. I notice things that many others may miss, or not care about. In fact, the entire reason why I wanted to become a UK2000 beta tester fifteen years ago is because I wanted those airports to be the best that they could possibly be. Of course, not everything that I mention is "fixed", and I have to accept that. However, I can guarantee you that the lack of detailed internal modelling in UK2000 airports (to give one classic example) does frustrate me in a similar way to the missing landing gear on AI planes.

Everything that I criticise in flight simulation is related to immersion. Every time that I see floating AI planes, lack of interior modelling, low resolution textures (which frankly should be banned altogether in 2026), rubbish looking car models, misaligned runway centreline markings/lighting, visible joint lines between mismatched areas of photoscenery, crude vector data (resulting in polygonal black shapes around coastlines and islands, or small lakes that are offset from the base image), and annoying blurry areas in the photoscenery (either by request of the French government, or because of wispy clouds that have masked the ground in specific locations).......all of these break immersion, and strip back that layer of realism that makes flight simulation such a beautiful thing at times.

Do not misunderstand me. There is enough beauty and realism and immersion in MSFS 2024 as a whole for me to thoroughly enjoy flights time and time again. When it all comes together, it is magnificent......but that is why those little issues hit harder than perhaps they should. Eliminating them is important to me. MSFS 2020 had a selection of immersion breaking issues that have been resolved in MSFS 2024. Those annoying "land bars" across river mouths and estuaries. The terrain mesh elevation problems that resulted in small islands being rendered as flat as a pancake until I was virtually on top of them. Numerous "black lakes" in areas with poor vector data (like Greenland, or northern Scandinavia). The first two have been fixed in MSFS 2024, and the latter has been significantly improved. All of this matters to me.

Perfection is virtually impossible in all facets of life, but that does not mean that we should not strive for it. We should all want our flight simulator of choice to be the best that it can possibly be 😉

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D CPU / 64GB DDR5-6000 RAM / 12GB Nvidia RTX 4070 Super GPU / Gigabyte X870E Aorus Elite Wifi 7 / 1+2TB Samsung Evo Plus M2 Nvme

UK2000 Beta Tester

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.