Sign in to follow this  
skylane182

Model-only split-scimitar-winglets update

Hello,

I'd like to ask whether there is a chance for a small visual-only split-scimitar-winglet update for the 737 NGX, as more and more 737NG are getting the SSWs these times. I know really a lot of people who are waiting for such an update and would pay a few dollars for that.

I know that it has been asked before, and the answer has been, that an update isn't possible because of missing performance data or a lot of programming would be needed. But what about a visual-only model update, like you did with the 748 model for your 744V1? For talented modellers like you are, it should be possible to build such an update in reasonable time.

The split-scimitar-winglets are so amazing-looking, and it would be really great if you could do small update for us. I'm sure a lot of loyal pmdg customers would pay for that.

Sorry for asking again, but I wanted to underline the demand, and mainly to ask for a visual-model-only update, in comparison to a flight-model update what would be too much work at this time.

Thank you so much,

Mathias

best regards, Mathias

I 100% agree. I believe that the fuel savings from the scimitars are not that noticeable on a flight-by-flight basis, and are more to save airlines money in the long run. Good point that they did a visual-only update with the -8 and Dreamlifter as well, which would have a MUCH bigger impact over the original model than scimitars. Also, the biggest benefit to simmers would be the added challenge during a crosswind, as I understand that the scimitars make them much more difficult. 

• Upvote 1

I think most folks would rather have them busy on the 747v2 for now..

If it were a visual only change, Hamoody, then there would be no difference in flight or crosswind handling.

Full names in the PMDG forums please, Mathais

Dan Downs KCRP

If it were a visual only change, Hamoody, then there would be no difference in flight or crosswind handling.

There would be for those of us who have crash damage on, and even if we don't there are different crosswind restrictions for scimitar equipped aircraft. I suppose we could 'pretend' the scimitars are there, but we could also pretend that the flight test package is there, and you guys had no problem modeling that. Still, I of course have no idea what's going on within PMDG, and I assume you're waiting until you have time to model them completely. The 747 definitely takes priority over the scimitars!  But  I wonder, is there some legal restriction by APB that restricts you from modeling them?  

I too would find a visual update great. For me this is more important then the Queen of the Skies. I too would pay a few dollars for this. No need for a performance update. 

• Upvote 1

Philipp Schwaegerl

Yes, a visual only update would be really great!

I would pay for that, too.

I think there is no need of programming anything new, the 737 is great.

• Upvote 1

Kind regards, Matthias
My System: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080S, Win11 Pro, MSFS+Prepar3Dv5.3
My photosceneries at the FSXForum and FSDeveloper

A32X_Cockpit.pngbanner_onboard1pfhr.png

Yes, a visual only update would be really great!

I would pay for that, too.

I think there is no need of programming anything new, the 737 is great.

Well, the 737NG in real-life has seen some improvements and changes from what is modeled in the NGX. Apart from the scimitar winglets, there were also changes in the cockpit, e. g. new engine start levers (rather switches now), no more yaw damper indicator and a more modern radio stack / transponder (quite for some time already), and certainly some more.

If the PMDG 747 gets an overhaul, why not the NGX. IMHO the 737NG is equally popular and certainly an important aircraft in real life.

Personally, I am not too interested in the 747 at all.

• Upvote 1

Dave P. Woycek

I for one would rather see the full flight characteristics modeled than have an add-on sticker, RR has already explained the reasons why such a cosmetic feature will not happen, and this has been flogged to death 2 years ago, but good luck with your quest anyway.

• Upvote 1

tpewpb-6.png

Well, the 737NG in real-life has seen some improvements and changes from what is modeled in the NGX. Apart from the scimitar winglets, there were also changes in the cockpit, e. g. new engine start levers (rather switches now), no more yaw damper indicator and a more modern radio stack / transponder (quite for some time already), and certainly some more.

If the PMDG 747 gets an overhaul, why not the NGX. IMHO the 737NG is equally popular and certainly an important aircraft in real life.

Personally, I am not too interested in the 747 at all.

You are talking about the latest production 737s. Most that have had split scimitar winglets fitted have the original flightdeck layout. Maybe the new layout will appear eventually as a PMDG 737MAX product?

For me 747v2 comes first and I'm not interested in a split scimitar update but it seems many people are. A "model only" expansion would probably sell very well.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I for one would rather see the full flight characteristics modeled than have an add-on sticker,

Agreed, I sim from the flight deck, not a passenger window. If I want to go look at a wing for a few hours I'll go on a real plane.

Guest Mik75

They did a visual only upgrade to the 8i for the 747. So I see no reason, why they couldn't offer this visual upgrade for the NGX as well.

I would love to have it, and I certainly would pay fo it!

Anyone ever notice the split scimitar on only one wing?  I drive past Dulles every day and I see some 737s coming in for a landing (beautiful sight, btw) that have this on only one wing, mainly the right wing, not the left. Odd.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

For me this is more important then the Queen of the Skies
Say ten Our Fathers and five Hail Marys for that comment and you will be forgiven.

Hi,

Me too IMHO I'm not interested in a visual only B738 scimitar variant.

No sense for me...

I think that PMDG is a serious software house so they usually design tha most realistic fsx software vs real plane ... why they should begin to realize "eye-candy" versions of an aircraft with all wrong aerodynamics , uncorrect cockpit layout, unrealistic engine parameters (I mean not updated to the LEAP CFM56 version) and so on...

I hope that PMDG will continue to develop the best (most realistic)  fsx/PD addons and not "visual only" eye-candy replicas...

Ciao

Andrea Buono

Anyone ever notice the split scimitar on only one wing?  I drive past Dulles every day and I see some 737s coming in for a landing (beautiful sight, btw) that have this on only one wing, mainly the right wing, not the left. Odd.

Doubtful - just the angle you're seeing it from. There's no way you'd have mixed tips like that.

Kyle Rodgers