Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

wilco Airbus Evolution released!

HUD for an airliner? Who needs? I´ll only need it if I´m in a F-16 over Lybia catching some bad guys !So seriously, who needs such a gimmick? I know that the NGX will have it also but I´ll probably never use. HUD is for military flying, or have you ever flown a 737 upside down? :(
HUD's have been options on commercial aircraft for years now. They're on the boeing next gen 737s, 747-8is, and 787s and options on all airbus' and embraer aircraft.So they're not just for f16s anymore and certainly not 'gimmicks'! :)

Howard H.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

-Mahatma Gandhi

To add,HUD's are f.i the reason some airlines can fly while others have to canceldue to fog or bad visibility, and they may also be the reasonyour airline touches down softly time and time again.They also allow the pilot to keep his head outside while flying, I.Ehe does not have to switch between looking at the MIP and then look outside again for the runway, he can still flya precision approach but during it his eyes will be outsidenot inside which is a big plus.Not to mention the HUD allows very precise and smooth flying. They are infact such a great addition Delta will be adding them to not only their 737's but also their MD80's and they intend to fit every aircraftin the fleet with them.Other customers include Southwest, AA, and the pioneer Alaska Airlines. Thus I would not say "it's only needed over Libya".It is for an airline and its pilots a very useful addition, and not only for a pilot flying combat.You should try flying an approach with it after youhave learned how to use it I'm certain you'll like it.I know I do.

Sorry, Pirates neither Try or Buy - They steal!
.....when a developer delivers a product that is not up to their claims - what label should be placed on that?

For those that own Eric M's and/or the evolution upgrade - Is it worth buying the Evolution upgrade if I only have the original version from Wilco (acutally own ver1 and ver2). I'm looking for Eric's enhancements/upgrades and see you can no onger purchase it from Eric's site. I'm not interested in the weather radar or HUD.Regards,Bob L
I'm with you Bob, I have the same version of volume 1&2 installed into FSX. Also wondering if it's worth buying, not that much in $$ required to upgrade..... Seems a lot of the issues surround the apparent mis- advertising about the HUD.Bruce .

I'll never understand how customers 'wishful-thinking' approach to interpretation of product features equals misadvertisement.Since when in this community in any product, freeware or payware, has 'full screen' been the same thing as VC? It hasn't. I can get confusion between full screen and windowed mode as opposed to full screen and 2d panel... but full screen meaning vc? Ah, no.Especially since their previous products with a HUD functioned the same way as described in this product. Take a little responsibility for being an informed consumer. I did and understood exactly what they were talking about./Rant off

Howard H.

-Mahatma Gandhi

I'll never understand how customers 'wishful-thinking' approach to interpretation of product features equals misadvertisement.
And I'll never understand how you and others in this thread continue to give Wilco credit and the benefit of the doubt for said false advertisement, because that's what it is.You can rant all you want, but at the end of the day, this is what happened:Wilco didn't have the skill to make an Airbus package that actually works (I'm talking systems and FBW), so they enlisted the help of Mr. Marciano.He in turn helped implement features like a HUD that Wilco knew would be a fantastic selling point.Wilco also knew ahead of time that it's 2011 and the majority of simmers fly using the VC.Wilco ALSO knows that using MSFS in full screen or windowed mode isn't favored one way or the other in the simming community. Meaning, both are used.So when they gift wrapped their "upgrade," they knew that charging customers for bug fixes in the systems that should have been fixed for FREE AFTER RELEASE would tick people off.This is why the HUD feature was almost at the top of the product page. It's a huge selling point. Wilco knew it, and they exploited their customers by including confusing and misleading terms in their sales literature.Usable in full screen, also usable in 2D.Do you know how many addons are recommended to be used in full screen vs windowed mode or visa versa? A lot!So when I read that, I take it as using MSFS in full screen, the HUD works in the VC and it ALSO happens to work in the 2D panel.Now if you still want to defend Wilco and blame the consumer, WHY does only the manual (which you can't read until you actually buy the product) specifically state the HUD is NOT usable in the VC?Why not include that on their product page as to avoid any confusion with the term full screen?How about Wilco takes responsibility for their marketing ploys, and the consumers who have supported them up to this point can get a break from your 101 Marketing ranting.

It has the same functionality of their three pervious offerings.All three say the same thing about the hud functionality.No where did it even hint that the vc had a functional hud. You just placed the meaning you wanted on 'full screen'.I am no fan of wilco. I bought one product from them and no other. Advertising creativity is not something created by wilco. We've had their products available for a while now and if you bought this program expecting functionality you created from your own interpretation of what something should mean as opposed to what it actually meant... especially when said product has been offered without modification three times before by the same company... that's all on you and your failure to be an educated consumer.We will never stop creative advertising. Wilco isn't the only payware company to use it. So its up to you to know what you buy before you buy it.And giving me a breakdown on bad programming has nothing to do with the point I made. Be mad about that all you want to, I never said it was a flawless product! :) I own the first version... I know about their programming 'skill' or lack thereof. :)

Howard H.

-Mahatma Gandhi

It has the same functionality of their three pervious offerings.All three say the same thing about the hud functionality.o where did it even hint that the vc had a functional hud. You just placed the meaning you wanted on 'full screen'.
You expect a completely new Wilco customer to research every addon Wilco ever made to find out what their meaning is behind the term "full screen?"Are you frickin' serious?Full screen means full screen! Who the hell flies without a VC OR a 2D panel?You're seriously reaching here.
Advertising creativity is not something created by wilco...We will never stop creative advertising.
I never said Wilco created it. I said they used it in a misleading way to trick the customer into forking over their pennies. And I never said I wanted to stop creative advertising either (btw "creative" isn't the same as "shady").I just wanted them to take responsibility for misleading customers with this payware update, but I know it'll never happen because this was all by design.
And giving me a breakdown on bad programming has nothing to do with the point I made. Be mad about that all you want to, I never said it was a flawless product!
I gave you a breakdown on what Wilco did to sell something that shouldn't have had a price tag to begin with.I'm not mad at all, but the only point I see you making is that the customer is some ignorant moron who deserved to lose money to Wilco.Looks like we'll agree to disagree, but the fact is Wilco duped customers and they knew it. Period.

it looks as if there are different opinions on our expectations for the 'improved' wilco bus. however, we probably all agree that now we have to wait for the simlabs Airbus because hardly anyone is happy with "the evolution"...at least once the pmdg NGX comes out we will have something to do in the meantime. i just hope that simlabs will not let us down as airsimmer did! having said that i just checked their website and they have the first panel screenshot posted! http://forums.flightsimlabs.com/index.php?/topic/3543-the-a320-a-small-update it seems you have to register in their forum in order to view the picture, though. looks nice i must say!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

So seriously, who needs such a gimmick? I know that the NGX will have it also but I´ll probably never use. HUD is for military flying, or have you ever flown a 737 upside down? :(
It's anything but a gimmick in the NGX - we do everything the real one does, right down the actual optics. If it was a gimmick Boeing and Honeywell wouldn't have developed it for the real airplane, trust me.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

HUD for an airliner? Who needs? I'll only need it if I'm in a F-16 over Lybia catching some bad guys !So seriously, who needs such a gimmick?
Well, let's see.Embraer 190http://2.bp.blogspot...400/Cockpit.bmphttp://farm4.static...._2d4f53e047.jpg301 in service, 195 on order as of October 2010- Operators -Air CanadaJet BlueKLM CityhopperAeroMexico ConnectVirgin BlueNas AirUS AirwaysAustral Lineas AereasBoeing 737 NGhttp://www.creatives...or%20lights.jpg-600 - 69 in service as of February 2011-700 - 1470 in service, 421 on order as of February 2011-700C - 15 in service, 1 on order as of February 2011-700BBJ - 119 in service, 13 on order as of February 2011-800 - 3,654 in service, 1,495 on order as of February 2011-800BBJ - 20 in service, 4 on order as of February 2011-900 - 52 in service as of February 2011-900BBJ - 7 in service, 1 on order as of February 2011-900ER - 285 in service, 201 on order as of February 2011Total in service = 5,692- Operators -Too many to list.-600 variant launched by SAS in 1995-700 variant launched by U.S. Navy in 1998-700ER variant launched by All Nippon Airways in 2007-800 variant launched by Hapag-Lloyd Flug (now TUlfly) in 1994-900 variant launched by Alaska Airlines in 1997-900ER variant launched by Lion Air in 2007Let's see...who else?Bombardier CRJ aircrafthttp://priuschat.com...uld-crj-hud.jpgAirbus A318http://www.flightglo...px?ItemID=20690Wait, there's more!Boeing 787http://www.aerospace...87_panel_02.jpgSpace Shuttle!http://i.ytimg.com/v...ETd7ROJ6g/0.jpgAnyone else? Yup!Airbus A320, A330, A340, and A380 aircraft are currently going through the certification process for HUD displays.Currently more then 6,000 commercial aircraft utilizing HUD technology are in service.An additional 3,200+ commercial aircraft utilizing HUD technology are currently on order.And, HUD technology has been around on commercial aircraft since 1994.Seriously man....where have you been?

Maybe people were in disbelief that textures were not updated at all since they look awful and are probably the easiest thing to make better. I'd buy it in a second if they'd at least touch the VC textures. I also have E.M. update so I see no point at all in buying this upgrade now.
Awful? I personally don't think there's anything really wrong with the VC textures. Sure, not perfect either, but awful? Nah. Seems okay to me.To me, the reason the upgrade disappoints, is the untouched FDE. THAT's what should have been changed immediately. Textures and model can come later. Much later. Heck, Eric himself says that it's a problem... That said, we'll have to remember that Eric is only a gauge programmer, and so, logically, there won't be much fixed beyond gauges. So, no FDE, no modeling and no texturing fixes. This is of course disappointing, but it's reality, I guess.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Well, let's see.Embraer 190http://2.bp.blogspot...400/Cockpit.bmphttp://farm4.static...._2d4f53e047.jpg301 in service, 195 on order as of October 2010- Operators -Air CanadaJet BlueKLM CityhopperAeroMexico ConnectVirgin BlueNas AirUS AirwaysAustral Lineas AereasBoeing 737 NGhttp://www.creatives...or%20lights.jpg-600 - 69 in service as of February 2011-700 - 1470 in service, 421 on order as of February 2011-700C - 15 in service, 1 on order as of February 2011-700BBJ - 119 in service, 13 on order as of February 2011-800 - 3,654 in service, 1,495 on order as of February 2011-800BBJ - 20 in service, 4 on order as of February 2011-900 - 52 in service as of February 2011-900BBJ - 7 in service, 1 on order as of February 2011-900ER - 285 in service, 201 on order as of February 2011Total in service = 5,692- Operators -Too many to list.-600 variant launched by SAS in 1995-700 variant launched by U.S. Navy in 1998-700ER variant launched by All Nippon Airways in 2007-800 variant launched by Hapag-Lloyd Flug (now TUlfly) in 1994-900 variant launched by Alaska Airlines in 1997-900ER variant launched by Lion Air in 2007Let's see...who else?Bombardier CRJ aircrafthttp://priuschat.com...uld-crj-hud.jpgAirbus A318http://www.flightglo...px?ItemID=20690Wait, there's more!Boeing 787http://www.aerospace...87_panel_02.jpgSpace Shuttle!http://i.ytimg.com/v...ETd7ROJ6g/0.jpgAnyone else? Yup!Airbus A320, A330, A340, and A380 aircraft are currently going through the certification process for HUD displays.Currently more then 6,000 commercial aircraft utilizing HUD technology are in service.An additional 3,200+ commercial aircraft utilizing HUD technology are currently on order.And, HUD technology has been around on commercial aircraft since 1994.Seriously man....where have you been?
That's a little misleading, most of those aircraft listed, especially the 737NG's offer the HUD as an option, and most do not actually have it.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

That's a little misleading, most of those aircraft listed, especially the 737NG's offer the HUD as an option, and most do not actually have it.
Actually SAS has HUD in several 737NG and is considering getting it in all of them, if that havent happend yet (now been working on that aircraft for some time, so dont remember if its allready there), and i can tell you the pilots love it, its easy, safe and most of all, reduces the amounts of going to alternate airports.So just because some airlines dont have it, doesnt mean its a gimick, it is very usefull and the reason new aircrafts have it and many airlines look into what it cost compared to what they will save.

To add,HUD's are f.i the reason some airlines can fly while others have to canceldue to fog or bad visibility, and they may also be the reasonyour airline touches down softly time and time again.They also allow the pilot to keep his head outside while flying, I.Ehe does not have to switch between looking at the MIP and then look outside again for the runway, he can still flya precision approach but during it his eyes will be outsidenot inside which is a big plus.Not to mention the HUD allows very precise and smooth flying. They are infact such a great addition Delta will be adding them to not only their 737's but also their MD80's and they intend to fit every aircraftin the fleet with them.Other customers include Southwest, AA, and the pioneer Alaska Airlines. Thus I would not say "it's only needed over Libya".It is for an airline and its pilots a very useful addition, and not only for a pilot flying combat.You should try flying an approach with it after youhave learned how to use it I'm certain you'll like it.I know I do.
Well, I think you´re pritty right in what you´re saying. I just think that HUD´s and airliners don´t match together. But if they use them, I`ll have to accept this. I´ll maybe test it when the NGX is out.