Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

REX Essential vs Active Sky 2012

One complaint I have heard about regarding REX in the past was that the textures really pulled on the frames. Has this improved with the latest and greatest?

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

I think this was REXE reinjecting weather. I'm gonna have to experiment and figure out how to stop it from clearing everything out while it injects every 15 minutes.

I haven't even had a chance to install Essentials yet (hopefully this weekend) but I recall reading that there was to be a new option which prevented wx updates from occurring when you approached your destination airport. This would stop these kinds of sudden changes when you're right in the middle of a dicey approach.

Or did I just imagine this? :-)

Scott

Hello

Can someone answer me this question, I typically fly after work in the evening, lets say about 21:00 hrs

I plan a flight taking off from my local airport with the Sim time set to 12 noon.

How do I get the correct metar for 12 noon from the REX weather engine and not the prevailing weather at 21:00 hrs.

Am I correct in assuming that REX is unable to deliver archived weather and I am forced to use unrealistic night time conditions for a noon flight.

I haven't even had a chance to install Essentials yet (hopefully this weekend) but I recall reading that there was to be a new option which prevented wx updates from occurring when you approached your destination airport. This would stop these kinds of sudden changes when you're right in the middle of a dicey approach.

Or did I just imagine this? :-)

Scott

You can definitely set the altitude below which there will be no more weather updates. I used that for the first time this morning and it worked great. I'm still playing with the number that I want to use.

Bill

Intel Core i7 8700-K (OC'd)  |  Noctua D-15S Cooler  |  Asus ROG Strix Z-370E Motherboard  |  G-Skill Trident-Z 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM  |  Samsung 970 Evo 1TB SSD  |  EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card x 2 (2-Way SLI)  |  Corsair 750D Airflow Edition Case upgraded with Noctua fans  |  Corsair 1000W Power Supply  |  MSI - Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor x 3  |  Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Hello

Can someone answer me this question, I typically fly after work in the evening, lets say about 21:00 hrs

I plan a flight taking off from my local airport with the Sim time set to 12 noon.

How do I get the correct metar for 12 noon from the REX weather engine and not the prevailing weather at 21:00 hrs.

Am I correct in assuming that REX is unable to deliver archived weather and I am forced to use unrealistic night time conditions for a noon flight.

Yes. That's correct unless you load up the weather at noon, save it, and reload it later.

You can definitely set the altitude below which there will be no more weather updates. I used that for the first time this morning and it worked great. I'm still playing with the number that I want to use.

Sounds like exactly what I need to change.

Yes. That's correct unless you load up the weather at noon, save it, and reload it later.

Hello

So I would need to pop home from work, save the correct weather for later or settle for unrealistic night time conditions for my daytime flight.

Sadly then this weather engine is of no use to me, if you fly in the evening after work then the only way this is ever going to give the correct conditions is to only fly in the dark.

Is everyone happy with this scenario ?, or am I being too picky in wanting to match the metar with the time of day ?

Have you ever been tested for OCD? (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

:Just Kidding:

Relax, it´s a simulator for gods sake, are people going crazy here?

Look at this, and say thank you for what we have today.

[media=]

[/media]

<br />Have you ever been tested for OCD?<br />

That's a very nice smackdown. But Mad Dog isn't asking for the impossible. He's asking for something that Active Sky 2012 already does. So why not look for the equivalent in REX-E? And it's not unreasonable. Day conditions are a bit different from night conditions (those late-afternoon popup thunderstorms probably won't be around at 11 p.m.) Makes sense to me.

Maddog is right, at list they can create a sever that download every half our a meter and a let costumer pickup what ever they want.

Have you ever been tested for OCD? (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

:Just Kidding:

Relax, it´s a simulator for gods sake, are people going crazy here?

No need for that ignorant comment.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

REXE is downloading now. I do have one question for those that are using the REXE Wx engine, and have used AS2012:

How is the REXE Wx engine with regards to winds aloft? I'll continue to use AS2012 & FSBuild (until PFPX) for my flight planning, but I'm curious how REXE is with accurate winds aloft. Don't want to do planning with RW winds with AS2012, and then fly with RW wx in REXE and have winds vastly different.

Thanks.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Mad Dog... we have had our data servers set up for the past 13 months gearing up for what is coming next. This is NOT out of the question for REX, but just not at the current time.

I thought you were already advised so in other threads... I DO hope this has finally answered your question.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

How is the REXE Wx engine with regards to winds aloft? I'll continue to use AS2012 & FSBuild (until PFPX) for my flight planning, but I'm curious how REXE is with accurate winds aloft. Don't want to do planning with RW winds with AS2012, and then fly with RW wx in REXE and have winds vastly different.

anecdotally i would say my flights so far i didn't notice any huge discrepancies, at least no more than i usually see between the fsbuild plan and sim usage...one caveat,.this is primarily with domestic usa flights. will be trying an altlantic crossing soon..i'd guess there might be a bit more variance there since my understanding is that will be mostly interpolated during planning but more accurate with the sondogram readings..

cheers,

-andy crosby

anecdotally i would say my flights so far i didn't notice any huge discrepancies, at least no more than i usually see between the fsbuild plan and sim usage...one caveat,.this is primarily with domestic usa flights. will be trying an altlantic crossing soon..i'd guess there might be a bit more variance there since my understanding is that will be mostly interpolated during planning but more accurate with the sondogram readings..

Thanks, appreciate it. Would be interested in your results of your Atlantic crossing.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800