Sign in to follow this  
Tatave

Best DC-3 for FSX

Hello,

I'm looking for a good DC-3 for FSX. Currently I'm trying to choose between these 2:

Just Flight DC-3: Legends of Flight

MAAM-Sim DC3

Or the Uiver/Flight 1 DC-2 ( No, it isn't a DC-3, but it looks good enough to be added to the list)

Which one of these is the best add-on?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi Kevin,

I own Uiver/Flight 1 DC-2 and I have to fully recommend it. It is a masterpiece - external model, virtual cockpit, flight systems and dynamics...best vintage aircraft i saw in FSX.

Pavel

i bought just flight and took my losses and throwed it away.

than I bought the maam and is very nice and fly well

there is via a dc3 forum several addition cockpit software to get if you want to modify it.

We do need a new DC-3. I keep reading bad things about the JustFlight option, which is the best looking as far as I can tell. Is the MAAM version really up to scratch? I'm having difficulty believing that something made so long ago for FS9 could still be worth the money.

Manfred Jahn made a freeware DC-3 for FSX which is very nice, I use it a lot.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I have the JF DC3 and agree, it has some shortcomings, but IMO the external detail is superb! I fantastic set of livery options too. BUT for me the VC is dreadful. It looks like it has been lifted straight from a set of plans. No wear and tear on anything, it all looks just too simplistic and clean.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Depends what you mean by best. They all have their relative merits.

The JF DC-3 has got the most accurate exterior model, but not everyone is in love with the clean look of the VC, since it looks like a brand new aircraft literally straight from the factory, although if you wanted a DC-3 which looked like it was brand new and straight from the factory, then that would of course be no bad thing.

The MAAM DC-3 has a better flight model than the JF one, and it is very good in spite of looking a bit rough in places (still pretty nice though), it being an older development. MAAM were addressing that with an update to a fully FSX-native model, but sadly that has been cancelled, although the existing one is still worth having for sure.

The UIVER DC-2 is as you say not a DC-3, so it cannot be directly compared, but it is excellent in terms of systems, with more realistic engine management than most prop add-on aircraft for FSX, and that's important with the DC-2, since it required a lot more careful engine management than the DC-3, as it lacks the revised cowling gills of the DC-3.

So, to be honest, I would actually recommend all three because of that; they all have certain things to offer, and having all three would allow you to swap things around a bit. All three of them benefit from what A2A's AccuFeel add-on enhances them with, so that's worth having too if you wanted a bit more realism. Although of course what we really need is A2A to make a DC-3, but given that PMDG is now delving into making classic aeroplanes, and the fact that one or two people from PMDG are big fans of the DC-3, I would not put it past them to have a crack at doing a DC-3 after they've done the DC-6.

There is also the Dirk Stuck Design Basler BT-67 Turboprop version of the DC-3 available, but it is extremely rough. It is just about worth it for a DC-3 completetist, but there are many issues with it, crap texturing and a very basic VC being just two of them. The exterior model is good though, or at least it would be if there was not an error on it which leaves two tiny wheel nuts which are part of the main landing gear still down when the rest of the main gear retracts, owing to them evidenly not having grouped all the gear parts together when the retract animation was done. This is only just noticable, but it is indicative of a generally rather sloppy piece of work for payware.

If you have X-Plane there is another choice, that being the X Aviation DC-3, which is also very good. Has a great VC, good exterior model, and convincing flight model.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I for one will not touch anything any more from JF, no matter how tempting, after purchasing their DC-3, their Viscount, their Comet,-----which is the only one IMHO, that so far cuts the mustard----after being totally disillusioned by the DC-3 and the Viscount. Exteriors, as stated, are good, but one flies a plane from inside, not from the outside.

I don't have the JF, but I have all the others mentioned, and am a big fan of the DC-3/2 C-47.

IMO, none of these are all that great. I like supporting the causes with MAAM and Uiver, but I don't even have those installed.

I fly Jahn's freeware version. The external model is more accurate than any of the payware versions and is beautiful, and there is a nice VC upgrade available for it as well by Jahn, and Marvin Carter did a nice upgraded grey interior that I think looks as good or better than any of the payware versions. If you add the RealEngine 1.1 mod by Gunter Teson1, then it flies quite well also. All of these together make a wonderful package. It's not a one-click install, but it's worth it to gather up the mods and install them. And there are some nice skins for this one too:

14102605.jpg

Edited by firehawk44
3 images removed. Exceed 1600W and 400KB limits for posting here on AVSIM

I purchased the Just Flight DC-3 and expansion and am very pleased with my purchses. Perhaps I dont expect quite as much from deveoplers as some folks do, but I like to fly those birds, and all those liveries are great.

I fly Jahn's freeware version. The external model is more accurate than any of the payware versions and is beautiful, and there is a nice VC upgrade available for it as well by Jahn, and Marvin Carter did a nice upgraded grey interior that I think looks as good or better than any of the payware versions. If you add the RealEngine 1.1 mod by Gunter Teson1, then it flies quite well also. All of these together make a wonderful package. It's not a one-click install, but it's worth it to gather up the mods and install them. And there are some nice skins for this one too:

Thanks, I must say though, it's the VC again... I know the JF VC looks "new" but really the quality and detailing of the textures is so far ahead of the MAAM and above-mentioned freeware versions that I don't really get the comments. You could always dirty up the JF version a bit if the "newness" bothers, but the MAAM and freeware versions are so flat and low res, I just couldn't live with them. It's like looking at one of the poorer default FS9 planes. There's no real definition to anything, unlike the JF version which looks like it has much more detail and resolution. I actually find them pretty much incomparable.

Just a pity the JF one doesn't "fly" as well as the others... maybe there's a way to address that, but there's no way I could live with the extremely low-res fuzzy flatness of the freeware VC, nevermind PAY for the MAAM one, as much as I want to support the cause.

I purchased the Just Flight DC-3 and expansion and am very pleased with my purchses. Perhaps I dont expect quite as much from deveoplers as some folks do, but I like to fly those birds, and all those liveries are great.

I think I may do the same and then make it look dirty :)

This thread as resulted in my wallet being opened. Sigh.

The only one worth having is the UVIER DC2. its made with love and is for a good cause, and its fun to fly

Vertigosims was making a DC3, but after their public-relations skills, and release timing, and product track-record, I'm not so excited anymore, in fact I highly doubt we will ever see one from them

I'm not even going to mention the other ones, as its not worth the finger tapping

Hi - this isn't quite what you're looking for but it will be freeware, check out the link:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?66133-Basler-BT-67-FSX-Project

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Mik75

Wow, that looks good!