Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Asiana B-777 Reported Down At KSFO

I heard on CNN that the 2nd "most important" person at Facebook, Sheryl Sandberg, was supposed to be on the flight, but switched over to United to use her miles.    There always seems to be some story about a celebrity or VIP that had narrowly adverted a disaster during these incidents.

From that recording it is clear that the first transmission from the pilot was after the crash. It's amazing that he still had power for the radio(s).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This sounds ominously familiar, BA Flight 38 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_38

I don't know why but some expert or something on CNN just said that this accident is allegedly not similar to BA38?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

From that recording it is clear that the first transmission from the pilot was after the crash. It's amazing that he still had power for the radio(s).

Are the batteries in the forward of the plane? They would have kicked in after both engines went offline and the APU obviously was knocked out of action.

CNN is the worst media source to listen to during the breaking hours of major event. They are hell bent on "being the first" and allow so much stupid to be aired just in the hopes something is actually factual... 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

CNN is the worst media source to listen to during the breaking hours of major event. They are hell bent on "being the first" and allow so much stupid to be aired just in the hopes something is actually factual...

The CNN anchor was pretty rude as he was talking to a pilot.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

The only media source I trust is Russia Today (RT).

No offense to the guy, but Richard Quest obviously doesn't understand aircraft what-so-ever. Ok he's trying to report on something big, but he first said it was a Boeing 777-200(LR). Now he's saying the T7's first flight was June of 1990, when in-fact it was 4 years later. I'm sorry if some of you are thinking "what?" but stuff like this just really annoys me! The media trying to sound like they know everything...as usual!

They seem to have run out of stuff to tell at the moment so they start repeating themselves, obviously without using their brains :D

SF Fire Chief confirmed two fatalities during the press conference that just ended.

Chris Sunseri

SF Fire Chief confirmed two fatalities during the press conference that just ended.

:( Sad to hear..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yep, first I heard of this incident this morning was some yahoo on the radio talking of a Korean Air 744 that crashed and exploded at SFO with all souls lost.  Ratings over facts every time.

Yep I know Tom, I was just reporting what I heard on CNN on a report by someone on board, whose daughter called in.

That was probably the same daughter who also reported that the aircraft "flipped over" on its way down the runway.... 

Very clearly illustrates why the NTSB says that it's LEAST reliable sources of information on any accident are the eyewitnesses and even participants.

Dan Dominik                                                                           

"I thought you said your dog does not bite....
                                                                That's not my dog."

Now CNN is saying 2 dead and 60 unaccounted for, quoting SF firechief. I don't believe it. I will bet $20.00 someone has that mixed up with 60 missing in the Quebec train explosion!

Edit

I should have done a screen shot. They corrected it already!

BA 38.

Obviously I have no clue either, everything is speculation at this point, but the similarities are striking, long flight, steep descent, no power at final, short landing... 

It was my understanding that Boeing fixed those defects though?

me too. Sometimes though building a motorway just shifts the traffic jam to the next/another point.

I don't know why but some expert or something on CNN just said that this accident is allegedly not similar to BA38?

Hmm we'll see eh.

I'm not trying to make an argument for anything, it just struck me as a " I've seen this before " moment. 

Now CNN is saying 2 dead and 60 unaccounted for, quoting SF firechief. I don't believe it. I will bet $20.00 someone has that mixed up with 60 missing in the Quebec train explosion!

Edit

I should have done a screen shot. They corrected it already!

LOLOL! I did a back arrow look, and what did I find?

They put it on, then took it off, and now have put it back on.