Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Asiana B-777 Reported Down At KSFO

ILS is not an issue judging by the weather in the pic.

Hope all are safe. Don't jump on the pilots yet, could have been a loss of thrust or micro-burst incident.

I find it hard to believe that a pilot could misjudge the touchdown zone to that extent, unless it were a pilot who recently transferred over from a smaller, shorter aircraft, though that should not have lead to such a drastic short landing.

Regards,

Ró.

It could be as well a gpws failure (Turkish 738 accident), or similarly to BA's cristalised fuel, let's wait and see.

Immediate reports from the MSM suspected pilot error on the BA incident at Heathrow.  Soon afterwards, it was discovered he actually made an heroic effort to save his passengers.  Initial news reports are almost totally, or at least significantly, WRONG.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I just saw much clearer debris field video and it looks as though the tailstrike occured on the rocks that make up the water embankment sloping upwards to the displaced runway threshold. 

Chris Sunseri

Tail strike is not a likely cause here, to hit the tail on the runway would require significant pitch up, to hit it on a line below the runway would require such a pitch up it would only happen as a result of the control surface jamming into the full up position.

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

CNN just characterized this (from one of their contributors) as a "Text Book Crash Landing"... Say what????

On the surface, the BA 777 crash at Heathrow is disturbingly similar. In that case it was fuel starvation due to high altitude freezing, not pilot error.

Thats what I was thinking,  but this plane was fitted with P+W engines not RR like the BA crash.  

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

Tail strike is not a likely cause here, to hit the tail on the runway would require significant pitch up, to hit it on a line below the runway would require such a pitch up it would only happen as a result of the control surface jamming into the full up position.

Regards,

Ró.

Or an imminent stall? Or, a steeper approach angle?

On the surface, the BA 777 crash at Heathrow is disturbingly similar. In that case it was fuel starvation due to high altitude freezing, not pilot error.

+1 Thought the exact same thing when I saw it on the news.  There's an Air Crash investigation series episode based on that incident.

Hope everyone got out but the burnt top of the fuselage doesn't look good hope it didn't flash over until everyone was out.

Prayers for the Passengers, Crew and Families

RE Thomason Jr.

No reports of fatalities yet from CNN.

Or on Fox News.  I do agree with one assessment that the pilot probably came down too low and tried to correct it by pulling up and dragging the tail and knocking it off.  Tails just don't fall off....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

CNN just characterized this (from one of their contributors) as a "Text Book Crash Landing"... Say what????

I heard that too and promptly changed the channel. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I'm hearing most people are accounted for.  What is impressive is the sturdiness of this aircraft considering the forces it experienced.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

So far there are two fatalities. Terrible tragedy.   I was going to do a FSX PDGM 747 United flight from KSFO to EGLL today and depart at 12:00.  But I am having "Fatal Error" (No pun intended) issues with the plane at the airport so had to quit. I live in the Bay Area and happen to hear on the radio about it when trouble shooting the error issue.

Cray Foley

Or on Fox News. I do agree with one assessment that the pilot probably came down too low and tried to correct it by pulling up and dragging the tail and knocking it off. Tails just don't fall off....

Best regards,

Jim

In 2002, a China Air 747 had a tail fall off causing uncontrolled flight into terrain, killing all aboard. That was a maintenance issue from 20 years before. Prolly not the issue here.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Ró, he clearly hit part of the fuselage on the rock wall at the shoreline about 150' right of centerline--the debris field and skid trail begins right there, and there's a piece of the acft in the water just short of that point of impact. To be that low and that far off centerline seems odd...undoubtably it'll be some time before we find out why, but he did hit the shore wall with part of the acft below runway level.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case