Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Asiana B-777 Reported Down At KSFO

The media is leaning quickly at Pilot error.

Typical of the media.. They most likely looked at the weather.. 10Sm visibility so in that case to them,  it must be pilot error.. 

Kacper Nowotynski

Going by the pieces of the plane on the runway it looks like the pilot tried to land too early. A tired pilot I guess.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

They looked at the weather, but the main reason that they're leaning to pilot error is the location of the debri field of the tail of the plane (before the threshold) and marks on the rocks between the water and the runway.

Marc ter Heide

Going by the pieces of the plane on the runway it looks like the pilot tried to land too early. A tired pilot I guess.

Just had an retired FAA Inspector flat out state the pilot caused a tail strike.

The MSM is so predictable.. Bring in every retired person they can to give something a definitive label based purely on sketchy "facts" and an over abundance of conjecture.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Yup, and the strike on the actual rock berm at the edge.

You can even see the severly damaged (and lost) main landing gear just near the runway number. Seems a very low landing which lead to a landing gear strike with the runway rocky edge then to a tail strike (loss). Again, may god save them all...

Liveatc has a tower recording up, I was only able to listen to it once (it appears their server is getting hammered) and from what I could make out there was no emergency declared (the Asiana pilot is hard to hear, probably due to the post landing damage).

Of course this is all speculative, but from the point of impact, it sure reminds me of the T7 in Heathrow a couple of years back.

Prayers go out to everyone that all hopefully made it out on time.

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Typical. It is unfair to blame the pilots at this time as you can see they did a pretty good job!

I hope sources that claim all 303 SOB that are accounted for are legit.

Caught one snippet where it clearly showed that the triple seven hit the approach apron first, not the runway.

I still find it remarkable that the bird is essentially intact after cartwheeling.

On the surface, the BA 777 crash at Heathrow is disturbingly similar. In that case it was fuel starvation due to high altitude freezing, not pilot error.

I still find it remarkable that the bird is essentially intact after cartwheeling.

I am not an aeronautical engineer, but I would conject that because both wings are still attached, that the plane did not roll. In fact the missing left engine and the placement of the right engine would confirm a gear collapse and then a long slide.

DetCord, on 06 Jul 2013 - 5:06 PM, said:

Caught one snippet where it clearly showed that the triple seven hit the approach apron first, not the runway.

No way it cartwheeled at all, or even slapped the runway hard enough to compress the lower fuselage significantly at the mid point.

I don't believe it cartwheeled... Not with the wings still on the bird and a nose looking undamaged. Nothing like Sioux City's DC10. This plane slide on it's belly to a stop.

The eye whiteness appears to be using the wrong words to describe what he saw.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2