Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Wrong Version of UiAutomationCore.dll

Hi Umberto, just wanted to let you know that it's probably a good idea to check the KJFK v2.0 installer as well, as I don't have your Geneva airport and the timestamp of my KJFK 2.0. install matches the timestamp of the 18000 version of the Uiautomationcore DLL.

thanks!

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

I have a friend with FSX and WIN8 64 bit. Is this fix required ? Regards, Bob.

Definitely not.  It only fixes menu crashes.  Plus, I read in one of NickN's posts on his forum that the dll is NOT compatible with Windows 8.  Some individuals here though have stated they have Windows 8 and have had the dll in their main FSX folder and no problems.  Like I advised them, if you get a crash, suspect this dll.  I personally have tried to keep it out of my fsx folder and this is the main reason I was able to discover some program (now we know FSDT) was installing it without my knowledge.  I got a crash, looked at my crash report and saw that a version of the dll was in my main FSX folder.  Removed it.  No more crashes.  Then I learned about the 13686 version and that it brought smoothness to FSX for many so decided to try it and I saw amazing smoothness too.  But, it's a placebo based on the comments from Umberto.  It will fix certain fsx menu crashes but, if you don't get those, then I would leave it out.  Windows 7 has the latest version installed in the system folder and it WILL load while using FSX (verified by looking at the crash reports from AppCrashView). 

I think everyone needs to understand there is no "magic bullet' that is going to fix every fsx crash or make fsx run perfectly with all sliders to the max.  It might work a day, a week or even a month but it will eventually create issues for FSX.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've been running the 18000 version since Jan 2010 on my last rig and never had an issue with it and have been running the same module on my new rig that I build in May and no issues either.

Hard to say which is the good or bad one and frankly never knew there were multiple versions floating around. 

I suppose for me the good one will remain the v18000 since its been solid for me. I am glad to know there are other versions in case mine ever accidentally gets switched and I start having issues.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Same here.  I have been running FSX without any version in the main FSX folder and have not had any menu crashes whatsoever.  In fact, I tried my hardest to get a menu crash without the dll in my main fsx folder and no joy.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Same here.  I have been running FSX without any version in the main FSX folder and have not had any menu crashes whatsoever.  In fact, I tried my hardest to get a menu crash without the dll in my main fsx folder and no joy.

Best regards,

Jim

I can't say that. 

I was running module-free for the from April '08 until Jan '10 when out of the blue I started getting the crashes from the menu. Nothing had changed on my system except for addons being installed and I am guessing that one of those addons that depended on something required the .dll be installed.

I had been using the late Michael Greenblatts service back then and contacted him when I started getting the crashes. He's the one who hooked me up with the UI.dll v18000. I dropped it in my FSX root folder and never had a crash since.

The weird thing was at the time I was on Win XP 32bit, which was supposed to not need that file, however without it I couldn't stop getting the crashes. All this happened as I was building my addon scenery and a/c library, so I am thinking something in one of those addons or a Windows update had somehow changed my setup and now I was dependant on using it, because for 2 years prior I never had an issue.

Fast forward to now, I am on Win7 64 and dropped that file into my FSX root when I installed and have also been fine. Although I never tested FSX without out it on new machine, but since it appears to cause no issue for me and I dont really want to take a chance testing without it, for now v18000 will remain.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Umberto, just wanted to let you know that it's probably a good idea to check the KJFK v2.0

I've recompiled all the installers, just to be sure, and they have been all updated now, it just that it took all night long to complete all the uploads.

Hi Jim,

I understand I need to be very careful reporting. This week I reinstalled FSX from scratch. No copy of UIAutomationcore.dll was installed in my root FSX directory. I realised that after installing FSDT Geneva, that it was now present. I then deleted the file and double checked by installing Geneva again. The .DLL file reappeared. On my PC this is a 100% repeatable process.

Something in the installation routine for Geneva is putting the .DLL file into the FSX root directory, not necessarily in the archive file itself, but perhaps when it installs Microsoft Visual C++ components. I can see this name listed during the installation. The file I used was downloaded from the FS Dreamteam website this week.

Best regards,

Jason

That definitely does not prove FSDT installed the later version of the Uiautomationcore.dll.  You have to make sure there is no Uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx folder, install a product, then look in the main fsx folder to see if it is there.  It's hard for me to figure out what program did it to me as I recently built this system and reinstalled Windows and FSX (and almost have all addons installed).

Best regards,

Jim

Hi,

How are those screenshots supposed to prove your theory?

Good point. They are there to help people identify which file versions should be looked at. I downloaded this version of Geneva from the website this week and installed it into a freshly installed FSX.

Regards,

Jason

I understand I need to be very careful reporting. This week I reinstalled FSX from scratch. No copy of UIAutomationcore.dll was installed in my root FSX directory. I realised that after installing FSDT Geneva, that it was now present. I then deleted the file and double checked by installing Geneva again. The .DLL file reappeared. On my PC this is a 100% repeatable process.

I guessed you missed  the post  80 in this  thread by "Umberto"

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

When I switched to the correct version my teenage daughter started making her own bed! WOW!! This thing is amazing!! :P

:lol: Now "that" is definitely  fantasy ^_^

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

That's strange. Without UIAutomationcore.dll I get crashes, but using the "wrong" version, 6.0.6001.18000, I get no crashes at all. The last add-on I installed was the A2A 172 and have several hours in it with not a single crash (on Windows 8).

This is my experience as well. I'm glad you said something because my head was beginning to spin. I, like countless others had been running UIAutomationcore version 6.0.5840.16386 and it worked fine until my latest build. I started getting menu crashes again. Installed version 6.0.6001.18000 and no more menu crashes. I did suffer a CTD last week after installing the PMDG 777 and NGX 600/700 upgrade and a re instal of REX. Had outdated Microsoft visuals and my Virtual memory paging file settings in both C and F drives were improperly set. I was positive I had them set to application managed but they weren't. As the the app crash I experienced was most likely memory related, I think I found the culprit. Will look at my UIAutomationcore version again having read this thread. This is one of the most fascinating threads I've read in a while and very enlightening. The menu crash problem is one of the only ones that is 100% replicatable, at least on my PC. Right menu click 25-30 times and BAM!, an FSX freeze. And since it only usually occurred at the tail end of a flight while setting up for approach, it was frustrating to say the least.

Never thought about other performance impacts related to this file. May have to do some more investigating. Kindest regards.

Same here  6.0.5840.16386 getting crashes 6.0.6001.18000 no crashes at all.

I've recompiled all the installers, just to be sure, and they have been all updated now, it just that it took all night long to complete all the uploads.

Do i have to redownload all my FSDT products to eliminate the installation of the old version of uiautomationcore.dll? 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Do i have to redownload all my FSDT products to eliminate the installation of the old version of uiautomationcore.dll? 

Definitely not.  Just remove the Uiautomationcore.dll from your main fsx folder or put in the version you want.  Future installs of FSDT products will leave this part of the installation process alone.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I'm getting really flummoxed by all this. Old age is addling my grey matter. Have just checked. In the FSX root I have 6001.18000, in Windows/System32/ I have 6.1.7600.16385. So, question, I beg to ask the 'learned scribes' is, what do I put where and what do I delete where from?

Thank you.

Forgive me asking agian, Jim, but as I've been having major issue with my browser, I've kinda lost track, in between trying to source some guitar pickups from the USA.

Rick,

do NOT(!) mess with the one in your Windows folder. Leave it there; don't touch that one.

The only one to be discussed here is the one in your FSX root folder. In my case the ...18000 version works best. Co-simmers' milages DO vary, though ...