Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Wrong Version of UiAutomationCore.dll

I'm FSDT customer though it seems like I didn't install any of their sceneries that day, only a couple of days after... Go figure... Maybe I just downloaded and installed the wrong file myself. 

Well I just changed to this supposed correct version of this file and I've had my first lockup since rebuilding this PC over 6 weeks ago, it froze with the faded white screen, THANKS FOR NOTHING. Back to using the version Nick suggested 6.0.6001.18000.

Cheers, Andy.

There is no problem with using this fix in Windows 8 64. I've had it for weeks with no problems.

Jim,

Hold on a second here:

The file that we recommend and have linked in the 777 manual is the same one I have personally tested and used with customers for many many years with positive results. If I remove that file from my FSX folder, I can crash the sim within a minute by repeatedly bringing up the right click menu over and over. Within about 25-30 right clicks, it freezes and crashes. With the file we link in the folder, the crash never happens.

That type of thing is all I've ever known the file to solve - the problem builds up over time as a user flies along because every time they use the menus that adds to the accumulated total. It could be 5 hours into the flight and suddenly they get a crash or white-screen freeze thing for no apparent reason and it's due to this. The file is not some cure-all for all problems as far as I've ever seen.

Not all "freezes" in the sim are the same. This issue with the 777 is starting to take on a bogeyman-type character where people are blaming everything under the sun for it. The issue we're looking at is a very specific thing where the whole sim freezes for several minutes but then resumes as if nothing happened. That's not what happens with the UIAutomationCore.dll crash in my years of experience supporting our customers. The version of the file linked in the manual is the same one that's solved the actual crash problem for countless people over the years.

Jim,

I am going to pounce on you for being "Fuzzy" with something that I think is EXTREMELY important be clear:

PMDG does not install this dll, (or any other dll that was not created by PMDG or one of our development partners specifically for use in one of our products) onto a user's system.

It would be bloody irresponsible to do so, and frankly any developer who is replacing this dll on user systems without their knowledge should be flogged publicly for something just a whisker shy of sheer stupidity.

There are a number of system tweaks and config modifications that we KNOW increase the stability of user systems, but we would never take it upon ourselves to conduct them on the user's machine.  We STRONGLY RECOMMEND that people do certain things- but to take it upon ourselves to do them on the user's behalf would simply be wrong, and it isn't a behavior PMDG is known for.

In the future, I would appreciate you being very, very clear on this topic. 

Thanks for your comments and making it very clear that PMDG was not responsible for placing a version of Uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx folder during installation.  Whether your version in the PMDG777 Intro is the correct version is still debatable.  I post a lot here in the AVSIM CTD Forum trying to help individuals with their crashes or freezes.  Many times I have suggested removing the Uiautomationcore.dll from their main fsx folder as there have been numerous reports on the Internet that the dll has been causing more issues than what it is suppose to fix (the fsx menu crash).  Many times, when the individual removes the dll, the problem goes away.  The same kind of situation happened to me this past weekend.  I very rarely get crashes but suddenly got the ntdll.dll faulting module error.  I looked at my crash report and saw that I had the Uiautomationcore.dll in my main FSX folder and I removed it every time I found it there as my system works well without it.  The crashes stopped.  Then, at the suggestion of another user, I placed the 6.0.5840.16386 version into my fsx folder and my fsx flights were suddenly much smoother.  So, this is why I made the post....  to try to help out others who might be having unexplained crashes, freezes, black screens and some stuttering during a flight.  So far this version has helped others the most and the version you recommend (and I understand Nick Needham too) is giving some individuals issues, especially with fsx freezes.  As I stated earlier in this topic, I have a lot of respect for PMDG and Nick but this is what I have found during my research (and I do a lot throughout the Internet).  Hopefully, users will try both versions and use the one that works best for their system.  I'm going to use the one recommended by the AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide - Version 6.0.5840.16386.

Because of your valid concerns, I have gone back through my posts to make sure everyone knows that PMDG did not distribute the Uiautomationcore.dll.  It is a fact though that some addon developer(s) is installing this dll via their installer.  I recently built my current system and reinstalled Windows and FSX so it is difficult for me to pinpoint the distributor.

Best regards,

Jim Young

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

:p0129:  It is fairly easy to try each of them and keep the one that works best. It appears that this is the only solution that is going to work for everyone.

Jim, are you ready to shut to down your computer and hit the golf course yet? I'm thankful that you started this topic as I now know that there are two versions of this file. I know that one version works for me now. Both may work on my system and one may work better than the other. Thanks for all the assistance that you have provided myself and others.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Jim, are you ready to shut to down your computer and hit the golf course yet?

LOL!  I did golf this morning but it is getting colder here in Virginia (especially early mornings) and that's the only reason I can think of as to why I did not play well today (and yesterday). 

I'm glad the version works for you too.  Still don't think there's any magic bullet out there that fixes all of the fsx issues and that's what many tout the Uiautomationcore.dll can accomplish.

Hope you weren't involved in that nasty flooding in Colorado this month!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thanks for the info.

At the beginning of the year because I had to reinstall FSX about 4 times due to computer crashes and other issues, I have a folder with all the required Service Packs fixes etc so if I have to ever do it again, I have everything in one place.

I checked the FSX folder today and to my surprise I too had the wrong version so I checked my SP folder and the correct version is their, so I copied it to my FSX folder. I've not had any crashes with the wrong version but of course have no clue how long its been an invader on my system.

I also have no clue how the wrong version got on my PC. I know i have already copied the right version as i have ticked it off on my install checklist. Sad I know. However, because I don't have that many add-ons I will attempt to eliminate them.

Hi Jim,

Interesting thread as always. I have been experiencing some fatal errors when exiting fsx recently, never thought nothing of it until I happened across your thread here tonight. I was getting a white blank screen and fatal error, while fsx shut down which never used to happen. 

I checked the file you mentioned and found v6.0.6001.18000 was installed on my machine. When I bought the PMDG777 I followed their advice and installed the recommended one in the manual, saving the one already installed in fsx as the old version, as they suggested. Now I never checked the version number at the time until now, and found both the old and new were the same version........Funny I thought. Checked the previous versions of this file and found v6.0.5840.16386 was updated on 28.July.13.@ 20.35hrs. I like a mystery so checked back through my recent purchases and I bought nothing at that time. 

However on further investigation I did run through the Avsim FSX tweaking guide and installed Razer Game Booster as recommended there, on that date, could this have changed the UiAutomation Core file? I just don't know! I know the guide didn't suggest changing the said file but maybe Razer did!

Anyway back to the old version and all now seems to work much better, I guess it's one of those things, works for some but not for others, qwirky thing fsx isn't it!

Best Regards,

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I guess we have to wait more, but it's interesting, like allways with FSX :) 

It seems that for some people first version works better, second version for others. If that is true, it probably depends on system or FSX configuration. But is very important finding in any case. 

The time will tell...

Thanks for the info Dave. Glad the old version is working for you better too.  We'll find the program that installed the v6.0.6001.18000 some day.  I agree with PMDG, no one should be installing this dll w/o our knowledge/consent. 

I've been doing more testing of v6.0.5840.16386 and have found my fsx is not running as smoothly as it had when I started this topic or over the weekend.  Still no crashes or other anomalies noted. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

golf

Hi Jim

Reckon Stenson blew a hole in the Tiger's dreams of landing the cat's prize, eh?

Actually you are right! I did install one other thing that date which I had overlooked. FS Dreamteam KJFK v2.0.

Check this out:

i0kc.jpg

And now this:

xkaw.jpg

It looks very much like a match!

Are any of you FSDT customers (KJFK v2, GSX, O'Hare, etc)? Because it would seem the "Addon Manager" / COAUTL Engine could be the culprit.

Like I mentioned in my former post... we need to make sure before launching flames!

Thanks to all

-E

I got all of  the fsdt airports  and  gsx  but havnt  got  the  kjfk v2  as of  yet   and  none of  those  had  changed mine,    created  on the  13 Jan 13   but  cant  find  anything I installed on that date  so I must have  installed it myself I keep searching tho

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just to clear up things:

The uiautomationcore.dll is a file from Microsoft, and as far as I know, it's not part of any redistributable package, which means it wouldn't be very smart on our part, if we distributed a Microsoft file without the permission to do so, not even mentioning it would be even wrong from a technical point of view, to install a Windows system file in the FSX root.

Whenever we install something which is not our *own* stuff, like the MS VC++ runtimes, we run the OFFICIAL MS installer, which we ARE allowed to distribute and launching the installer, is the MS-sanctioned way of doing it, since the installer will not overwrite any newer version you might have, like the DirectX runtimes that many games installs.

This means, there are only two possible reasons if there's a "wrong" uiautomationcore.dll file in the FSX root:

1) The user put it there manually, maybe a long time ago, and forget about it

2) There's an installer from some unknown FSX add-on, that installs it. Whoever did this, it's a plainly idiotic thing to do, and potentially very dangerous and, surely it NOT US!!!!

I haven't investigated in the matter, or verified if the popular theory that putting a different ( 32 bit version ) of the uiautomationcore.dll in the FSX root folder would be of any benefit if Windows 7 is 64 bit. BOTH the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of the uiautomationcore.dll file are installed on a Windows 7 system so, I'm not sure why the older (Vista or XP) version is needed by FSX.

But that's not the point, the point is that I haven't researched the matter, because playing with that .DLL is NOT something I'm supposed to do with an installer that doesn't have anything to do with this.

Hello,

2) There's an installer from some unknown FSX add-on, that installs it. Whoever did this, it's a plainly idiotic thing to do, and potentially very dangerous and, surely it NOT US!!!!

I regret to say, it looks like FSDT Geneva is installing it in my FSX root directory. The file details are below.

Regards,

Jason