Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Wrong Version of UiAutomationCore.dll

Ok, at first I was a bit skeptical but now I can confirm this has a huge impact for me at least!

Before especially changing views fast when around complex addon airport with complex addon aircraft such as PMDG 777 & with a lot of AI around has caused me crashes when using the incorrect UIautomationcore version 6.0.6001.18000 mentioned by firehawk

Now with the right version, 6.0.5840.16386 I kept changing views between aircraft ones and AI around Flytampa VHHX with full UT2 AI around for minutes, it all went smoothly. AI aircraft textures now seem to load way faster and no CTD like I had before.

Thank you Jim, I think you just made my FSX experience way better!

Hello,

I regret to say, it looks like FSDT Geneva is installing it in my FSX root directory. The file details are below.

Regards,

Jason

How are those screenshots supposed to prove your theory?

Cheers, Andy.

I regret to say, it looks like FSDT Geneva is installing it in my FSX root directory. The file details are below.

That definitely does not prove FSDT installed the later version of the Uiautomationcore.dll.  You have to make sure there is no Uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx folder, install a product, then look in the main fsx folder to see if it is there.  It's hard for me to figure out what program did it to me as I recently built this system and reinstalled Windows and FSX (and almost have all addons installed).

Best regards,

Jim

Thank you Jim, I think you just made my FSX experience way better!

Glad it is working for you too.  When I took the 18000 version out of my fsx folder and replaced it with 16386, it was almost like night and day as far as performance.  But I'm pretty sure the correct version of the Uiautomationcore.dll is all like a placebo as I really don't think the dll does much to fix fsx crashes or make fsx run smoother.  But, as long as I think my fsx is running better, that can only mean good.  It might even improve my golf score!!!

Best regards,

Jim

Reckon Stenson blew a hole in the Tiger's dreams of landing the cat's prize, eh?

Tiger just wanted the Player of the Year Award as he has plenty of FedEx Cup trophies in his museum.  But it was close.  Only won by 13....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

firehawk,

Just be thankful Microsoft doesn't make golf balls or golf clubs?

By the time you applied all the fixes to the ball and the club, it may be too dark to play............or the ball would
"crash" into every sand trap on the course no matter how carefully you made monitored your backswing.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Ok, this is most embarassing...

You are right. I think I owe a big apology to anyone in this thread: I had that file included in some of our installers.

This happened by accident, I still believe it's something that shouldn't be done, and I wouldn't do it intentionally, that's why I replied like that, and shame on me TWICE, for not having checked it well enough, before replying.

The problem happened because I DO have the uiautomationcore.dll in my FSX install because, according to the conventional wisdom, it might prevent the dreaded uiautomationcore.dll message, so I put it in my FSX root and, unfortunately, I had ONE "include" file that our installers use that take some files  (our files) from there, but even if those files usually specify also what to *exclude* (so you don't end up putting all dlls from your FSX install into your installer), in THIS specific case, that file didn't had such exclusion, so it ended up putting the uiautomationcore.dll in the installers.

Funny that, searching around in forum, lots of users say that file prevented crashes in the first place. I don't think it does, I still have those crashes, randomly and just decided to live with it, because it only happens with playing with menus a lot, but that's not the point, such type of file shouldn't be placed in the FSX root, because it would prevent any possible fixes that Microsoft would ever release so, I STILL believe it's wrong and a bad practice, even if it happened to be inside on some of our installers.

Note that, if you already had a *newer* version of it in the FSX root, perhaps downloaded from somewhere else, our installer won't at least "downgrade it", because of the version checking for .dll files which is done by the installer automatically.

Of course, this is going to be fixed immediately, and all installers (just to be sure) are being recompiled and uploaded now, within the limitations of my puny upload speed...but what makes me really angry, is having found something that was really wrong in our installers (the theory that file *helps* with crashes is not verified), and I replied before making a thorough check, but I fell into the trap that I DO believe this is something wrong that I would never do intentionally, but it really happened by accident, a missing exclude specification for that line, and the damage was done.

Again, my sincerest apologies to everyone, this won't ever happen again, but at least we found one thing that really had to be fixed in our installers.

Thanks Umberto for the admission.  It's good to know this can now be put to rest.

Best regards,

Jim

or the ball would
"crash" into every sand trap on the course no matter how carefully you made monitored your backswing.

You mean I've been playing with the wrong golf clubs too?  :lol:

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have to say I'm pretty impressed with Umberto taking responsibility like this. Good find Jim, and as you say it will be nice to put this to rest. Stuff happens, it gets fixed, and it's all over now. 

Again, my sincerest apologies to everyone, this won't ever happen again, but at least we found one thing that really had to be fixed in our installers.

You take it like a man and I respect you for it. Apology accepted. Keep on keeping on Umberto!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hi Jim

Just a small question. Not sure if it is related to this UIAuto......dll. I followed PJ's advice and noticed that whereas before I was getting a reasonable 20-24 FPS, at UK2000's trial EGGP airport,I'm now down to 6-7 FPS. Is it related? 

I followed PJ's advice and noticed that whereas before I was getting a reasonable 20-24 FPS, at UK2000's trial EGGP airport,I'm now down to 6-7 FPS. Is it related?

Definitely not.  But, move the Uiautomationcore.dll from your main FSX directory to a temporary folder and see if I'm definitely wrong.  You do not need this dll for fsx to function properly.  The Internet is full of reports this dll is causing some incompatibilities.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

When I switched to the correct version my teenage daughter started making her own bed! WOW!! This thing is amazing!! :P

Seriously though - glad to see the mystery solved.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Hi all,

Glad that one got sorted.

I had recently installed FSDT Geneva but thought it was before the dates I was looking at, maybe I got the original replaced as a FSDT update. Anyway thanks Umberto for coming clean on this, that takes guts and we all respect you for it.

So now to finish off, do we need this Uiautomationcoredll file or not? and which version are we all recommending we use 6.0.5840.16386 or 6.0.6001.18000. I'm back with the older version at the minute. Just interested in what we all think is the final answer here?

Thanks Jim for another great find as always.

Best regards.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Phew, thank you Umberto, saved me lots of time, as today I created a clean windows 7 virtual machine with a clean FSX so was planning to start loading all my add-ons one by one tomorrow to see which one was the culprit.

You just confirmed my theory about responsible developers always confirming and checking, even when they are sure it's not them :)

So instead of sitting and watching the progress bar maybe (if the wife will let me) I can go flying tomorrow :)

So now to finish off, do we need this Uiautomationcoredll file or not?

Well if you want to stop FSX from crashing after using right click menu many times enough then yes.

For me the 6.0.5840.16386 seems to work fine while the other one seemed to cause some problems... Definitely the difference between these isn't a placebo effect in my case. 

Hi FScamp,

I will keep using the older version I think as it stops the fatal error messages when I shut fsx down! Although I think it might take a little longer when starting free flight to get the aircraft thumnails to load up.

Still so long as fsx is stable and doesn't do unexpected things then it's good for me.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.