Sign in to follow this  
Jim Padgett

Meaningless Topic Titles Bother anyone other than me?

Does it bother anyone else when topic tiles are completely meaningless?

I can't help but feel I may be missing good information because I just don't feel like reading topics with meaningless topic titles.

And worse yet is when I see the same topic weeks later and because the title is so vague I stupidly read it again....

• Upvote 1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I agree that some topic titles that are less meaningful and informative than others, and some seem to be the creation of newspaper teaser headline writers. That said, I've picked up a lot of interesting info from topics I may not have opened if they had been described accurately !

Ok, I must agree.  I prefer to see topic titles that give information about what is within the initial post. 

Yes, but it can't be fixed.  Tom could create instructions, a notiification, or large red/yellow flashing text at log on, but sadly few would actually read it. Some would write new posts titles "What is THIS?" to inquire that the messages were all about...  LOL

I avoid all posts non-descriptive titled posts, groupie posts, and "where is your XXX right now" type stuff. I do not contest anyone's right to post what they wish, but those types of posts are just not for me.

• Upvote 1

It does bug me. Titles like "FSX Question" are useless.

On the one hand that's true, but on the other hand those are the best possible titles IMO: You have no clue what the actuall problem is, but you really want to know what the topic is all about :P ! I like those, because it's always a surprise, you simply don't know what to expect.

• Upvote 1

The worst one is 'HELP MEEEEE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

My reaction is always 'No, you are beyond help.'

• Upvote 1

I like those

Okay fine... just for you then, I wrote a new post "Guess what?".  Enjoy!   :P

• Upvote 2

To me it's a reflection of the way the user's mind operates. When I see this it reminds me of "...nothing happening here, move on...." a waste of time. 

Okay fine... just for you then, I wrote a new post "Guess what?".  Enjoy!   :P

Got a link to that one, please? :P

I'm curious already! :lol:

Prior to the last forum 'fix', you could mouse over the title and get a popup with the first line or so of the post, so you had an idea what it was about.

Since the fix that popup now just repeats the title so it's basicly useless, I wish they would bring back that feature.

The worst one is 'HELP MEEEEE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

My reaction is always 'No, you are beyond help.'

Or "My FSX doesn't work!".

My reaction: "My crystal ball says: 'Sucks to be you.' *Closes tab*"

• Upvote 1

I would like to see the "Latest Forum Topics" set up with Sim types like FSX, Xplane, P3D. It gets a bit tiring to see not only silly titles but then if you do click on them you end up in some xplane forum or other that you have no need or use for.

LOL this thread is about NOTHING, A thread that gets angry about nothing titles errrm.. such as this one  :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

LOL this thread is about NOTHING, A thread that gets angry about nothing titles errrm.. such as this one  :rolleyes:

Not really, this thread at least has a title that gives a clue as to it's contents. :rolleyes:

Does it bother anyone else when topic tiles are completely meaningless?

I can't help but feel I may be missing good information because I just don't feel like reading topics with meaningless topic titles.

And worse yet is when I see the same topic weeks later and because the title is so vague I stupidly read it again....

Indeed. There's a recent thread (posted in triplicate no less) under the FSX forum titled "Request."

Good stuff.

The easy solution is to ignore them. They will eventually get the hint and you won't get upset. Merry Christmas!  :Peace:

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

When originally posting there did not seem any appropriate place to post..  The first line in Hangar Chat was indicative of a requirement to post aviation related topics so I mistakenly disreguarded the rest of the decription... MyBad !!!

Prior to the last forum 'fix', you could mouse over the title and get a popup with the first line or so of the post, so you had an idea what it was about.

It's there still, just moved off to the right end of the thread title. Click on the little icon to open the first few lines of the OP, the newest unread reply, and the last reply. If the contents don't interest me, I just click on the "Mark this read" link.

As a moderator, I use this frequently to check every thread briefly to make sure there's nothing on fire that needs attention... :LMAO:

Oh yes, meaningless topic titles really bother me too! :t0104:

I don't know if I could say they bother me.

But I do know that I never reply to any of those posts.

If someone can't be bothered writing a simple heading then I am not going to bother wasting time replying to them.

I know what does bother me though, posts like this:

"I've just downloaded a plane and the engines won't start. HELP!!!!".

See if you can find the problem with the above question. Special thumbs ups for all those who get it right :) .

"I've just downloaded a plane and the engines won't start. HELP!!!!".

See if you can find the problem with the above question. Special thumbs ups for all those who get it right :) .

I see multiple problems.

What file?

What flavor of FSX? (some planes require Acceleration)

User experience level?

Language issues?

Age?

Had a few?

I could probably add a bit more, but perhaps I have made a point. The ability to convey ones thoughts well in writing in a forum read world-wide is not something that everyone is blessed with, and frankly the root issue with the OP will never go away. Is it frustrating? Perhaps, but only if you allow it to be.

I agree non-descriptive thread titles are useless but the ones that really irritate me are those that include "URGENT!!" or "IMMEDIATELY!" which of course are words that don't apply to flight simulation and should be reserved only for auto accidents, earthquakes, fires, terrorist attacks, tsunamis, or beer deficiencies. :smile: