Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blaze

Entertaining Yourself on Medium and Long Haul Flights (In Real Time)

I'm sure this has been asked before but i am curious what others do during medium or long haul flights at real time.  I watch episodes of Air Crash Investigation on YouTube but I have seen just about every episode made including the Seconds from Disaster Series.  I'm kind of hoping someone else may post what they are doing which might also interest me  for awhile.  I don't use time acceleration as it's forbidden by my VA. I have also watched most of the WWII in color series as well as many episodes of Discovery channel "Wings" and "Sea Wings"  What am I missing?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Filling OFP first, Premier league, Formula 1, cooking, cleaning, studying... You can even try to become member of virtual mile high club.

EDIT: Hitting refresh button at avsim forums tab every 30 sec like I do now.

You can even try to become member of virtual mile high club.

My virtual Stewardess (wife) brings a parachute and bails at 3500 ft. I watch a movie or hockey over my shoulder and try to keep the cats from learning what keys to step on on the keyboard that would mess the flight up the most. We have three. They all usually show up while I'm on final. They come in from all directions like a joint strike force. One in front of the monitor, one on the keyboard and one on my lap - in my face.

A lot of times I just wonder if I haven't something better to do and why I'm not doing that instead!

Happy Holidays,

Mel

My dog is kinda uninterested in flying - usually sleeping under my chair.

I watch a movie or hockey over my shoulder

One advantage over the RW pilot is that I have a rear view mirror for watching the TV behind me without dislocating my neck. It works well so long as there are no subtitles involved.

Browse the internet, watch youtube clips, Photoshop, talk to friends on Facebook.  One of the advantages of a surround setup is not just necessarily playing in surround but running the sim maximized on one monitor and doing a variety of other things on the other two monitors. 

I have a laptop beside me during most flights so i use that. I'm flying right now (short haul though, i'm not into medium or long haul at the minute). Skype is a good way of passing the time.

Usually read books, listen to various podcasts, music, check email and stuff on the iPad.

Enabling XPoi and reading wikipedia articles about places I'm currently flying over.

Interesting, is XPoi limited to some specific area or does it work globally?

Cheers,

I consider medium to long haul flights in Flight Simulator a waste of time. I just do short haul or use time compression at cruise altitude or slew my way to 150 miles short of the arrivals airport.

5 to 10 hours cruising in Flight Sim is time in my life I can never take back so I don't see the point, so I don't do it. Real world pilots get paid for that so that is the difference right there, and there is two of them working together instead of one guy sitting at a PC.

5 to 10 hours cruising in Flight Sim is time in my life I can never take back so I don't see the point, so I don't do it. Real world pilots get paid for that so that is the difference right there, and there is two of them working together instead of one guy sitting at a PC.

...and they get to party with lovely flight attendants at an exotic foreign destination for a couple of days when they arrive. :D

Lately I've been watching Ice Pilots NWT. It's really interesting and has me excited for the DC-6 :smile: . Otherwise, I'll probably read PC Pilot or just browse Avsim. 

I fly the plane.

I'm not a member of a VA that requires it, I just prefer not to use time compression.  Boredom during a long flight is all part of the experience.  If I can do the 30 hour straight-through drive from D.C to Dallas, I can certainly do 8 hours from San Francisco to Honolulu in a simulated B377.

Even with the autopilot flying the plane there's always plenty to do.  I monitor instruments, even if failures aren't implemented.  I usually have to keep a sharp eye on the fuel, as my calculations when I start cruise often leave me 150 miles short of my destination.  It's always a thrill when I hit the break-even point on the fuel, having just enough to make the runway.  Then I land with about 150 miles additional fuel. 

I like to watch the weather, if there is any.  Also, there's a lot of enjoyment that comes from watching a sunrise that can only be experienced in real time... including the wait for it.

I have no objection to anyone who has to use time compression.  But if you brag about it, it may sound a bit hollow to those of us who don't use it.

Hook

Interesting, is XPoi limited to some specific area or does it work globally?

Cheers,

It not limited at all, I use it even on short flights.

The exact position of the point of interest is shown too.

Lately I've been watching Ice Pilots NWT. It's really interesting and has me excited for the DC-6

Great, Thanks for that. 

I've been watching Ultimate Airport Dubai on the nat geo youtube channel. Quite a good series, although sometimes it is a little over dramatised.

Generally I study wander aimlessly across the internet even though I likely have a lot of work I could be doing.

Study... hah!

I also keep a Laptop next to me when I fly for longer stretches. I usually keep Skyvector open and AvnWx.com to check real time weather and the route I'm flying. 

I also put on LiveATC for some background ambiance, or maybe a YT vid. I listen via a single Stereo to Mono earbud that I slip on under my FS headset.

calvin0011.gif

Quite a good series, although sometimes it is a little over dramatised.

Understatement of the year :)

Makes you wonder why they never make these series for people that are really interested in aviation? I can't imagine that the drama at the check-in desk is what attracts viewers to this show.  

Makes you wonder why they never make these series for people that are really interested in aviation?

I know right! The best aviation TV show (not including pilotseye or justplanes) I've watched has to be Ice Pilots NWT. You can't beat the harmonious sound of 4 P&W radials thundering through the living room B)

I know right! The best aviation TV show (not including pilotseye or justplanes) I've watched has to be Ice Pilots NWT. You can't beat the harmonious sound of 4 P&W radials thundering through the living room B)

Agree! Ice Pilots NWT is one of the better shows, but sadly they are hooked on drama there as well.