Sign in to follow this  
cheezyflier

this hobby is almost over

Oh and in my experience, people who use the 'word' prolly don't tend to be good at solutioning or thinking outside the box :wink:

The proper word is 'probly'.  :lol:

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The proper word is 'probly'.  :lol:

One think I am reely bad et iz spelng.  I thenk the work is...

prob·a·bly
ˈpräbəblē,ˈpräblē/

EZ guys.  The guy is looking for help.  Let's try to help him out.

I was that guy once too.

Respectfully,

Jet

EZ guys. The guy is looking for help. Let's try to help him out.

Exactly. Let's not get pedantic about the inconsequentials. Let's lend a hand.

Sorry...just trying to have a bit of fun.  Back in line.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Tsk tsk... FS9.5 humming smoothly along on WIN XP SP3.

And still flying the Sopwith Camel ??????  <grin>

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

This hobby is far from over, I understand your frustration. Since I have gotten into this hobby, it made me learn more about computer, in fact, I even learned how to built one!!. I think if you have a passion for anything, you will learn it and get good at it. There is a lot of help in this forum that is incredible and hopefully we can help you over come it.

David

Exactly, this hobby with all the frustrations has made me learn how the microsoft works and got me to learn about hardwares as I built my current spec from the scartch. I started with FS9. For the TS, you'll get there.  Sorry for not being more helpful, but this forum is more than able to help.  

Gorky Max

Re: "This hobby is almost over."

As flight simmers we surely have a lifelong duty to continue to follow our virtual flight-paths wherever they may lead. We who have flown in countless virtual skies and have marvelled at the joy of pixelated flight while far below mere mortals played their lowly video games. We who have wrestled with joystick configurations and low frame rates owe it to past pioneers of the skies to continue with our noble 'hobby' come what may.

Some say we are wasting our lives' staring at computer video screens night and day, others say we are more interested in our joysticks than the real world around us; but let them talk and mock. We flight-simmers know where happiness and fulfillment lie -flying a virtual Cessna into the fading pixel sky.

____________________|____________________                    \  |   |  /                     `.#####.'                      /`#_#'\                    O'   O   `O  

so i am about to RMA my 2nd computer from newegg.  same problem as the first computer, some sort of driver failure every time i watch a video or try to start a flight.  i have trawled so many forums looking for a solution it's a wonder my eyes didn't fall out.  2 different brands of computer, different cards, different operating systems, different mobos.  same error.  i have to watch what i say because last time i tried to post this thread i got spanked for a common every day word (not a swear-word, a common every day word that the admin attributed a meaning to that wasn't there) that small children even use, and it was justified with sketchy amorphous logic, so you guys didn't get to see that one. if only i could tell you what it was, so we could all have a laugh.... but i digress. 

despite what microsoft says, it seems (through my research) that windows 8 is not compatible with fsx.  most new computers now don't offer windows 7.  with no new sim even under development, the clock is ticking.

sure a few of us have gotten lucky, and it works for those few. but you look around out there. most people can't get their sims running, and there are lots of them out there who have decided that it's just too much trouble.   i'm not sure what  computer i will end up with when i finally get one that works. but i will say this: 

fsx gets one shot to work properly. if it doesn't, i'm done wasting time with it. all my discs and my yoke and pedals will go right to kijiji.  it shouldn't be this hard, and frankly, i think microsoft should refund my $$

flight sim is over.  maybe it aint over for you yet, cause it works for you, but it aint gonna work on your next computer.  we had a good run for a while, but that's it.

I can build a brand new machine with Win7 64bit today if I want to, I'm not sure why you say that.

Lots of options there for the OP if he or she wants them!

I run FS9 on a Q9650 CPU Windows XP x32 on one PC. With ta few addons (GEPro) and a good weather program this sim is often better than my FSX sim, especially with some of the thousands of freeware sceneries. Some of these especially the smaller ones, are exquisite and go beyond what would be affordable, time-wise, for a commercial developer.

I also run FSX but on a different PC with an Ivybridge i7 CPU. This time It's W7 x64 and again, when well tuned using the advice given above, this sim is a delight too.

With DVI KLM switches I can use the same screens, keyboard, mouse, yoke, throttle quadrant, and rudder that I use when running the FS9 rig.

Oh, I should've said I have X-Plane 10 on its own disk drive on the W7 PC; again it uses the same hardware via KLM switches.

Supporter.png

John

I'm using Windows 8.0 with FSX fine although I run FSUIPC for my controllers, apart from a few aircraft add-ons it's all ok and they get patched.

It might be worth looking at P3D if you're not a computer geek as that at least has a development future and will works with current OS's OK. 

I also have DCS, Cliffs of Dover with the Team Fusion mod and looking forward to getting Combat Helo etc. I would say we're entering a second golden age.

I ran across these videos of FSX over Aerosoft's Chicago a while back and, to me, they point to a bright future for Flight Sim. 

This one uses an i7 overclocked to 4.8 and nVidea graphics.  I'm specing out a similar machine for myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2McDlQlV7M

This one is an AMD processor with Radeon graphics.  I've never been a Radeon fan but it's tough to argue with the graphics...

Finally, this one with the NGX...not sure what his specs are but, again, the graphics are very, very good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOlxC7-hIM

Truthfully, I don't even need this quality to be happy but it's nice to know it's doable.  Also, at some point, someone's going to solve the VAS issue...either by trickery or 64 bit and we'll see even better scenery.  It will probably take a while but graphics this good will keep me busy for a good while.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

I ran across these videos of FSX over Aerosoft's Chicago a while back and, to me, they point to a bright future for Flight Sim. 

This one uses an i7 overclocked to 4.8 and nVidea graphics.  I'm specing out a similar machine for myself...

You would almost certainly OOM with those graphics on any hardware. The videos will be taken when the game is first loaded but if you were to attempt a full flight the game would run out of memory. You cannot pull those kind of graphics for an entire flight.

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote and repeat of video links. Please do not quote an entire posts when replying... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2McDlQlV7M

This one is an AMD processor with Radeon graphics.  I've never been a Radeon fan but it's tough to argue with the graphics...

Finally, this one with the NGX...not sure what his specs are but, again, the graphics are very, very good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIOlxC7-hIM

Truthfully, I don't even need this quality to be happy but it's nice to know it's doable.  Also, at some point, someone's going to solve the VAS issue...either by trickery or 64 bit and we'll see even better scenery.  It will probably take a while but graphics this good will keep me busy for a good while.

Gregg

Very Nice find Greg.  I hope the OP can see these and get inspired.  Heck I got inspired.  LOL

Respectfully,

Jet

I don't hear the fat lady warming up yet. Here is what is special about our hobby and us as a community; No recent version of any flight simulator has been without flaws, defects or out and out blunders of design. We as a community take on the challenge and some gifted person finds a cure, a fix or a work around. That person then generously shares that with everyone willing to bother to put that to good use. Hardware not able to carry the load of the newest simulator?  What is new about that? In my case - FS 2002, a new computer that was barely able to run the basic install, the same with FS9, another new computer and the same problem. What did I do? I learned. I learned what would work and why and fixed it. It is the same to this day. That is part of the attraction of this hobby for most of us. I don't rush and buy the latest and greatest of hardware, OS or simulator while thinking that is the solution to any or all of what I perceive as shortcomings in my favorite version of simulator. I consider mine as a work in progress and most of the time it seems more work than progress. Progress is all relative depending on expectations anyway.

One last observation I have for the people wanting for a new simulator from a developer who will have addressed every known issue of every simulator ever sold and market the "perfect simulator experience" are probably in for a long wait. Consider this please. There are people who run FS98, FS2000, FS2004, FSX, Flight, P3D and different versions of XPlane , etc, all of whom are quite content with what they have and thus may not exactly rush to buy yet another simulator. That translates to a smaller market than in the past - a tougher sell. A lot of wait and see attitude. Should we really expect a developer, any developer, to do that on a whim or by request? If it does happen that would be great and if it doesn't we still have what we have.

This hobby dead? Not unless you as a individual wants it to be for your self and that is your choice. All of the posts previous to mine here reflect the fact that there is plenty of life left in this hobby, plenty of life left in this community and all the help one could ask or hope for.

Best regards to all,

Mel

i would love to be wrong, i really dig flight simming. so if i am, then awesome!    for the entire 5 or 6 years i got from fsx i used a computer that you'd  never expect could even run fsx at all.  it was a dell 2400 with a p4@ 3.2, nvidia geforce fx5500 (pci slot, not pci-e) and 2G ram with fsx on a storage drive and xp/sp3 on it's own drive. i made my own brackets to mount the drive in the disc drive bay, as the tell mini tower had no provisions of any kind for expansion.  with the kodiak flying over toronto i got about 12 frames @ 3500' and i could get up to 20 frames if i climbed above 10,000'.  smooth and no stutter.  but all sliders more to the left, no add on scenery, couldn't run the lic eagle, or the lionheart epic LT or the vision.  (by the way, lionheart says he doesn't support prepar 3D on his site. if i can't have the kodiak, prepar is out afaic) so all i want this time is a stable system that will look nice.  i don't need to build skynet.  but i think with the $$ i have i should be able to own something adequate to the task.  the i-5 rig i just sent back looked phenominal - while it was actually working.

Edited by cheezyflier