Sign in to follow this  
BleedAir

IXEG

Well it does say "You can hear the basic X-Plane audio warning" which to me is no TCAS no matter how you spin it. Dont get me wrong still getting the plane and got the MD80 as it doesnt worry me.

From EGFF to YSSY

Praise on them for being so open toward the community. :smile: I think most items in the list are very minor.

Paradoxically, the missing item that surprises me most is the lack of wing flex. Of course it has absolutely zero impact on the realism of operations and zero importance for many people, even though it's a feature you can find in pretty much any aircraft (including default ones) nowadays.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Well it does say "You can hear the basic X-Plane audio warning" which to me is no TCAS no matter how you spin it. Dont get me wrong still getting the plane and got the MD80 as it doesnt worry me.

of course it is no tcas.  the way i read it is that it will just monitor the suroundings and tell you warnings but not react. Which is no real tcas, but i think for most online flyers more than enough. 

It was more a reference to a system completley missing instead of some basic functionality. But I agree with you the use of TCAS is pretty much overrated in terms of deal breakers.

Paradoxically, the missing item that surprises me most is the lack of wing flex. Of course it has absolutely zero impact on the realism of operations and zero importance for many people, even though it's a feature you can find in pretty much any aircraft (including default ones) nowadays.

Well i will trust Jan in that regard, that he says the 733 has almost no noticeably wingflex.

Praise on them for being so open toward the community. :smile: I think most items in the list are very minor.

You can also find an atrocious Nerd^3 video where this "default wing flex" reflects very poorly on the alleged quality of the sim.

Author of Gizmo64 for X-Plane.

You can also find an atrocious Nerd^3 video where this "default wing flex" reflects very poorly on the alleged quality of the sim.

I have seen that, it shows a bunch of default 747´s flapping about like seagulls in a gale... Pretty funny, but also detrimental to X-Plane´s reputation...

I know that wingflex is high on the wishlist of potential customers. Everyone rates stuff by what they know and have experience with. Most of X-Plane´s users have never spent an entire flight in the cockpit of an airliner, but they have stared outside that passenger window at the shaking wing for hours. Heck there are gazillion videos on youtube of someone taping that wing! So guess what they will do first after they bought an aircraft? :smile:

I am really not trying to put that down or even ridicule, this isn´t a certified training device, and it is important to make the customer happy. But this 737 is in the first regard something that we started as a hobby, much to our own liking and tastes, kinda like Austin did with X-Plane. And just like Austin we don´t dislike the eyecandy stuff, it just wasn´t that important to us when we laid the foundation for this aircraft.

Now with all the 3D and animations that go onto the wing, it´s not like you just click the "has wingflex" checkbox and thats that. It requires work and effort to get right (and not overdo it, so you star in another flappy-bird movie...).

Work and effort is something that we can´t spare right now as we try to get the plane ready - too many "serious" features still await completion. And we are eager to share this study-level simulation with enthusiasts that can share our enthusiasm about getting nerdy technical details right.

Again, I am not saying that the real 737 has no wingflex, I am just saying that it isn´t a characteristic feature of it´s visual appearance, like it would be for a 747, where the wing just visibly rises a few feet during liftoff... You might even get a very distinctive flexing of the wing on a hard landing, but trust me, I have never seen my wings flex during landing in a good 10 years of flying that airplane (and that´s not because I never smashed it in :wink: ).

We will get to the wingflex when we feel that no more more-important things (like TCAS, for example!) are still on the list.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 4

Speaking about TCAS would be possible to include traffic from other plugin like World Traffic?

The core problem in making TCAS work is getting the datarefs for "other aircraft position". Once we have those, it should be possible to calculate all sorts of stuff to drive the display, sounds, resolution calculation etc. Almost certainly out of the realm of any add-on would be to coordinate resolution advisories with other (AI or Vatsim or PilotEdge etc.) aircraft. I encourage anyone interested in TCAS to read this:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgtso.nsf/0/95b393711426c9c78625759b006481ea/$FILE/TSO-C119c.pdf

and this:

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2020-151A.pdf

document. It contains pretty much all you need to know to put TCAS into code. Good luck!

Jan

• Upvote 1

The core problem in making TCAS work is getting the datarefs for "other aircraft position".

And so we're all clear here, Laminar does not make access to this readily available at this time. Further, such integration with things like XSquawkbox gets even more complicated due to their bizarre NDA.

Time will tell, but there's a reason practically no one has tackled this, and it's not because folks/coders are inept.

• Upvote 2

Founder of X-Aviation

Yes very much enjoyed the vid. Pretty standard stuff if you're a PMDG jockey but it's really great to see an aircraft of this calibre in X-Plane. These guys are passionate about the project and it shows. Visa on standby.

Didn't I read somewhere that when Jan showcased the next video, the release would be imminent? Might have dreamed that up though... :wink:

I think it was 5 (6?) tutorial/showcase videos uploaded to their youtube channel, and then the plane will get released. So I guess we are still few weeks away. But hey, relatively speaking, it's almost here  :dance: