Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Malaysian Flight 370

Because the data was days old, had been assessed and provided to the investigation team. THEY concluded the satellite data corroborated other data they have (we dont know what it is), and requested a maximum search effort. They had already requested an RAAF P3 in the area before the satellite imagery was provided.

If the PM had said nothing, he would be panned for committing such a large scale effort and not notifying the taxpayers.

Lets face it, he doesn't analyze the data, he repeated what he was advised and why the max effort search.

Sent from my Mobile thing

Well put, that certainly makes sense. Not much of a choice really

ZORAN

I don't see anything in those (let's face it) indistinct images that looks positively like the Malaysian Airlines logo.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The telegraph has put up and image of people photographing a radar plot at a briefing given by Malaysian authorities in Beijing

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02859/Ukraine-graphic_2859104c.jpg

(I suspect the naming of the image is a news item mixup by the Telegraph)

Some interesting things about this image...

A point 200nm on 295R from Butterworth is midway between Vampi and Gival waypoints. So all the speculation about deliberate. carefully programmed FMC navigation from waypoint to waypoint, where did that come from really? 

Unkown  whether  this is from the radar data recently released by the Thais, or this is the data that Malaysians have had for a while, and which caused them to move search efforts earlier on into the Malacca straights.

Looks to me more like a steady course, possibly flown on HDG mode

Aircraft flown just south of Penang. Could have been heading for there, or trying to set up for a long approach onto RW03 Langkawi

The low resolution in even XY positioning of radar (points cloud scatter) is apparent. As some have tried to point out in this thread, the scatter of radar points makes vertical (height assessment) also problematic. Imagine those points in a vertical plane, and you have a wide angular variation to pick from to determine an altitude. So I take the altitude readings (eg 45000 feet) with a large dose of salt.

Robin Harris

Just worried that too much emphasis has been placed on the southern arc. Seems people are too quick to discount/discredit the evidence which points to a northern route.

If the NTSB suggests a southern arc as a relatively likely rout, and if the find large debris on the southern end of the southern arc, then it's plausible why the debris are considered as "promising".

The people at the NTSB have skills and they likely know more than what is being told the media for now.

I agree on not starting fights on a flight sim forum, and this is my last statement. I just want to show the story from another point of view.

Thanks for sharing...

In all fairness, everyone was chomping at the bit to start this Topic here, while AVSIM was down. You eventually did, and the speculation has run rampant ever since.

Now the discussion is 'getting a little long in the tooth'? It reached that point 4 days ago. It's what happens when speculation gets out of hand; just look at A.net and PPRunE.

Can't speculate about Crimea/ Ukraine... the timeline of events is much more solid, and there's nothing to speculate about.

I personally thought the aircraft would have been found by now, this is unprecedented. By all means have a discussion here as we all have an interest in what's going on in the flightsim world but what's amazing on the larger scale is we haven't found the dang plane yet. I've never seen reporting like this on a situation that has absolutely nothing new to report. Their giving 24/7 coverage to phantom theories. Repeating the same nothingness hour after hour. We've never seen anything to this degree from CNN and other news outlets especially when other major events are happening in the world. I separate what we are talking about here as Flightsim has been front page news for a few days now. It would make since we discuss this event but the major news coverage of this story is boarding on insanity which is my overall point...

• Upvote 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

since 1946 a number of 88 planes are never found again, this could be easily number 89.

This topic is going off course with the political news in Russia, etc.  I have removed those posts.  Let's keep it on topic or we will have to lock it.  Politics should never be discussed here in the forums.  Any further political statements and the individual will be banned from the topic.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Some interesting things I didn't know about the cockpit door, ACARS in this article.  A worthwhile read...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/mar/21/what-happened-to-flight-mh370-missing-plane

• Upvote 1

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

This is interesting, the P-8 Poseidon didn't fly yesterday, and won't fly today, for what is said to be routine maintenance!  That will hamper search efforts, especially with bad weather forecast in a day or two. They do have 2 long range commercial jets to aid in a visual search planned for today. along with the P-3 Orion's.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

he P-8 Poseidon didn't fly yesterday

Hi Tom,

I was looking at the "media releases" from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (links on their twitter).  The releases indicate the P-8 did assist in the search on the(their) 21st.

fwiw: https://twitter.com/AMSA_News

The Telegraph in the UK has obtained the transcript  of the ATC communications, unfortunately it was transcribed from English to Mandarin back to English so it's not near what was actually said based on ICAO standards. I think this may explain the casual response "All Right Good Night" I would bet that wasn't transcribed accurately!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10714907/Revealed-the-final-54-minutes-of-communication-from-MH370.html

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I was just reading that transcript when I saw: MH370, please get on the runway from 32R A10.

Years since I have talked to ATC, but I am thinking... you got to be kidding me... that is standard phraseology?

I would bet my shoes that that is a FAKE transcript.. That is NOT how real world ATC comms go..

Permitted to take off.. ?
Copies that..?

Has left the port..?

follow the command and turn right..? What command? Right on what heading??

This is MH370? Ok, what altitute? What position?