Sign in to follow this  
SpoonerFLIGHT

CNN Mentions FSX used by Malaysian Cpt.

If there is an .rte file with the waypoints VAMPI / GIVAL / IGREX contained in it (and/or the LAT/LONGS)... as an investigator, that is going to give me real heartburn if I want to eliminate the pilot.

Conversely, if the pilot really had something to do with it and wanted to fly undetected, why would he follow known wayponts?  Why woudn't he use his own 'off the beaten path' LAT/LONG waypoints instead?

Richard P. Kelly

Conversely, if the pilot really had something to do with it and wanted to fly undetected, why would he follow known wayponts? Why woudn't he use his own 'off the beaten path' LAT/LONG waypoints instead?

Credit to Jeff Williams regarding this (we were discussing on Teamspeak earlier... welcome btw Jeff)...

It's the "hide in plain sight" thingy.  Flying over known routes / waypoints commonly traveled would raise less suspicion.

Edit:

I should have posted this also w/ respect to your question...

The first turn to the west that diverted the missing Malaysia Airlines plane from its planned flight path from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing was carried out through a computer system that was most likely programmed by someone in the plane’s cockpit who was knowledgeable about airplane systems, according to senior American officials.

Lost Jet’s Path Seen as Altered via Computer (New York Times)

So someone it seems, according to this article, stuck a waypoint in the FMC.

Conversely, if the pilot really had something to do with it and wanted to fly undetected, why would he follow known wayponts? Why woudn't he use his own 'off the beaten path' LAT/LONG waypoints instead?

At this point, with the way these Malaysians have been running this show and going back and changing previously stated 'facts' constantly, I wouldn't hang any theories on any so called 'facts' of the case yet.

Credit to Jeff Williams regarding this (we were discussing on Teamspeak earlier... welcome btw Jeff)...

It's the "hide in plain sight" thingy.  Flying over known routes / waypoints commonly traveled would raise less suspicion.

Indeed, that does make sense.  Had those radar pings been off the path of known airways they would have drawn immediate scrutiny (one would hope).    

Richard P. Kelly

I'll tell you, sometimes I yearn for the days of the likes of David Brinkley, Chet Huntley (Of NBC's Nightly news Huntley - Brinkley report) and Walter Cronkite over the news we have today. The news shows would be boring, but it would be a lot more accurate!! In those days reporters, would not wildly speculate, or even offer their own personal Opinions, just the facts as they were known at the time. Somewhere in this 24 hour news cycle format they've lost that type of integrity.!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The disappearance of MH370 is tragic, and the ever changing information coming out of the Malaysian authorities has not helped matters. But as far as how this will affect flight simulator enthusiasts? I believe that our hobby will endure, but I do worry that access to manuals and cockpit parts that hobbiests like to collect could come under greater scrutiny. I don't think it will happen but it is certainly in the back of my mind.

Instead of spreading disinformation they should have asked their incompetent Airforce why they didn't scrambled interceptor jets when they realized that an unidentified jet is flying in their airspace.

Agree. Besides this why were jets not scrambled minutes after no contact was made with Ho Chi Minh ATC. I have not picked up one peep from the Malaysians about investigating ATC records on that incident. From other accident investigations movies I have seen, when a pilot fails to check in with the next station on handover, there is a serious communication between the ATC centres, and they try to resolve the problem. If not, pass it onto military for action. Ground radar swings into action plus fighters are scrambled; they can get to the last position quickly, and with their on-board radar locate the aircraft and get alongside to see exactly what is going on!

If there is no airforce readiness 24/7 for an incident like this, what does it say about readiness for any other situation. Given 9/11 and Kuala Lumpur's famed towers, I think they should have been extremely reactive to just the transponder going off and lack of further comms with Ho Chi Minh. Maybe that is the reason the "authorities" will not entertain discussion on this topic (at the 17th news conference they were getting very uncomfortable when being pushed about the final ATC comms). It exposes a weakness in their defences.

Rob

Why would golfers have a full golfing simulator at home, when they can practise outdoors! To practise their swings maybe, or familiarise themselves with a course (when the wife will not let then out the door for a real round!).

Watch out if you ever hit several holes-in-one in a row in a Pro tournament, and CNN find out you have an expensive "simulator" at home.

Robin Harris

MSN.com had an article asking why a pilot would need a flight simulator,

waitaminute,MSN -> MS FSX -> Same company. What gives?

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

waitaminute,MSN -> MS FSX -> Same company. What gives?

If they understood their customers, maybe there would never have been a Windows Vista.

:)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

What IS revelatory in all this is how absolutely ignorant and lazy the news media is these days. A previous generation would have done more than two minutes of research on Twitter before spouting off an idiotic question in an interview. Not now, though, just say whatever will fluff the ratings!

We see this as relative experts in the area of flight simulation; but remember that this same stupidity and ignorance drives almost every story "covered" these days in the media, be it a local drunk who got into a fight with a pickpocket or entire countries' economies at risk of collapse.

Turn elsewhere to learn. I'm surprised how much fresh, real info I can find on any subject online with just the slightest bit of digging. If the link is to "news coverage," I know I can completely ignore it as useless.

That is the lesson we've had reinforced with all this.

It just comes from a lack of understanding that some people actually just enjoy flight simulators, and studying manuals and following real world procedures. I remember after 9/11 all the information spreading around that the terrorists used MSFS to practice, and anyone using a flight simulator was automatically a practicing terrorist.

I'm actually also surprised that more real pilots don't use a flight simulator in their home. In fact I've heard some people ridicule it as a way of training. Whilst it's true it doesn't feel real and is never a substitute for a proper simulator or real flights, it's a great way to practice and get familiar with IFR approaches. Even for a GA pilot, it's a great way to get familiar with an area before flying there, and a good way to practice talking with ATC

CNN = News Media = irrelevant.

Honestly I wonder why anyone watches it anymore? The news media is just a bunch of partisan political propogandists (from all sides) that produce news to promote their preferred political ideas and policy.

When a real tragedy happens, such as this missing flight, they are lost without pre-approved talking points handed to them.

Doesn't anyone remember how embarrassing their coverage of the Boston Marathon bombing was?

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

The media are like Justin Beiber fans!! 

I am a proud Justin Bieber fan, and I find your comment offensive.

With all due respect,

12 year old fan girl.

I am a proud Justin Bieber fan, and I find your comment offensive.

With all due respect,

12 year old fan girl.

Well I am sorry if I offended you, don't take it personally...