Sign in to follow this  
airlinerpilot

How many FPS do you get in your Fsx?

Hello,

After allot of research I have discovered that most people seem to play FSX at 30FPS. For a while now I have been chasing 60FPS. As in Fs2004 I get 60FPS on the highest setting, with loads of add-on's and high traffic levels.

My system can run FSX perfectly fine on 30FPS but when I'm not in a demanding area of the game I can keep a stable 60FPS. Sadly traffic robs my frame rates. I am just interested in what would you say is the best frame rate to play the game at? I wish FSX would run as perfectly as my FS2004 would but that doesn't appear to be a possibility with any type of hard ware. Thanks for reading.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Anything above 30 you won't really notice a difference in compared to 30fps. At high demanding airports I get between 20 and 30fps with rain and heavy weather in the PMDG 777 with 60% AI traffic. When in flight at cruise altitude I get between 50 - 116fps on exterior and a maximum of 80fps in the flight deck.

Why are people so obsessed with their frame rates?

Also, FS04 and FSX are two very different programs and any comparison between the two is pretty useless.

Get FSX looking like you want it to look and turn off the FPS display. Fly and quit trying to chase the FPS numbers.

• Upvote 1

I can honestly state I haven't looked at my FSX frame rates in over three years. Having cast the frame-rate obsession monkey off my back, I long ago locked my internal FSX frame rate at 30 and never looked back. I'm more than happy with a smooth-running sim irregardless of some arbitrary benchmark. Stop chasing your tail and enjoy what you have!

I agree FPS doesn't matter it's actually smoothness that does. Either way, w/out traffic I sit around 40 FPS but with I get about 25-30.

• Upvote 1

I lock at 27 and adjust the sliders when frame rates get bad. With Orbx scenery I can slide them half way down and don't miss anything. When I let Fsx do a new config I just go flying and enjoy the smoothness. Aren't you tired of tweaking all the time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reece

Already been beaten to death  this subject,  don't know why  people are so worried about the fps  for

• Upvote 2

For FSX, it's not about your frame rates, it's about smoothness. Going to reiterate what someone else said on another post, it's about weather you're content with the smooth factor and if it feels responsive enough. From there on, I tweak my settings to fit my preferences. 

Alot of people think that setting the FPS limit to unlimited will give you the best frame rates. This is not true. It can cause the frame rate to jiggle up and down, so it'll seem jittery when let's say you're approaching V1 on takeoff.

Even then, it's still about smoothness really.

I get 7,132,047 FPS.

Some times a cloud comes by and it drops to 7,132,044 FPS.

I think I'll try a reinstall and see if the FPS return to normal.

Since when did it become a contest? :wacko:

I'm simply asking what frame rates you guys get. I just think it's a shame that FSX is really juddery compared to FS9. Fsx with the frames and smoothness i get in Fs9 would be a dream come true. 

I just think it's a shame that FSX is really juddery compared to FS9

If it is juddery then you have a problem somewhere in your setup.

FSX is smooth as glass here, more than FS9 ever was.

Alot of people think that setting the FPS limit to unlimited will give you the best frame rates. This is not true. It can cause the frame rate to jiggle up and down, so it'll seem jittery when let's say you're approaching V1 on takeoff.

well, it's dependent on a lot of factors. i get significantly better framerates with unlimited and never use a limiter. i also know some people say they can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 but for me it's night and day, guess i just play too many videogames lol.

cheers

-andy crosby

You should be able to get a smooth 30fps.  If its continually stuttering something is wrong with your system or some of your sliders are too far right or your trying to use some settings that are killing performance.  Even with the latest hardware you need to watch your settings to get everything smooth.

I know I'll sound like a grumpy old man, so forgive me, but any talk of comparisons are a complete waste of time without some kind of cfg/slider settings benchmark so to allow a like-for-like comparison. Asking someone what kind of framerate they get is useless without knowing what all their FSX settings are, their cfg tweaks, monitor resolution and flying scenario.

Can anybody please explain to me how to get "smooth" FSX while looking at 30 FPS?

When i lock my frames to 30, FSX is stuttering all over the place while locking them at 60 frames

i dont see any stuttering and spiking anymore...where is the trick with those 30 FPS please?

Best regards,

Tom

Can anybody please explain to me how to get "smooth" FSX while looking at 30 FPS?

When i lock my frames to 30, FSX is stuttering all over the place while locking them at 60 frames

i dont see any stuttering and spiking anymore...where is the trick with those 30 FPS please?

Best regards,

Tom

Tom, I don't understand your issue. If you say you don't have stuttering or spiking when locked at 60, then leave it locked at 60! Every rig, as I'm sure you know, is different and will behave differently under similar scenarios when compared to someone else's system. IMO, locking your framerate at 30, rather than allowing it to be unlimited or in fact locking it more than 30, allows more CPU resources to be used for loading textures and scenery, as opposed to maintaining a framerate beyond what is adequate.

I would suggest if you are getting spiking and stutters when locked at 30, with your system, then there is some issue at play. I would suggest it is down to settings. The spiking, I would bet, is down to a mismanaged Bufferpools setting. You have the GTX770 and so shouldn't have any spiking, unless you are running the water slider setting at Low 2x or below with BP=0. Anyway, I'm starting to get too specific. I would suggest, if you wish to lock framerates at 30, because maybe to alleviate blurries, then you post your cfg and slider settings.

I can't get more than 20FPS, because that's where I locked them after my fresh install. Anyway, I don't take a look at the FPS display as long as I don't have any severe stuttering issues. And then I only take a look to see what influence changes have.

But as others have said: It's useless to count the FPS, as long as you can enjoy the experience- be that at 15 or 100 frames per second!

Frame rates is a quantitative number, but the frame rate value is not the most important aspect to my enjoyment of FSX or any flight sim.  Smoothness is what I seek.  I'll take 15 fps and glass smooth over 60 fps and jerky.

Yeah! I've got 60 FPS smooth and clear. Lock it to 61 FPS and all is fine!

There's lots of talk about smoothness. Yes, a smooth 30 frames per second is better than not being smooth. But now pan around the VC. You most definitely can see the difference between 30 FPS and higher when you pan around the VC.

Last night I flew the Lancair, with ASN weather. No frame rate lock at all. I'm lucky that I can do this without stuttering. Panning around the VC was lovely, silky smooth. My frame rate was over 100 FPS.

So yes, there is indeed an advantage in regard to frame rate over 30. I can spot the difference instantly.

I should add, I can achieve super high frame rate because I have a powerful system, sensible slider settings, an unlocked frame rate, and no super demanding scenery add-ons. All I fly with is GEX and UTX, and ASN.

I should add, my VAS is super low as well.

I am using a simple configuration on a slightly overclocked Core i7 4770K (4.2 GHz) with a GTX780 and usually have 60fps with any addon almost anywhere. Right now i'm descending into an overcast airport with the MD-11 and getting 60fps.

My framerate is unlimited, my nVidia driver is configured with vsync and triple buffering (also antialiasing, anisotropic filtering, SSAA2x, etc). I don't pay attention to this anymore, i found the perfect configuration for my FSX over 1 year ago and totally forgot about it and just enjoy the sim the best i can with very high settings configured.

On a side note, you can perfectly distinguish between 30 and 60fps. It becomes harder to 'see' over 60-70fps, but lower than that it's just very noticeable.

EDIT:

Here's a pic....

f045yr.jpg

• Upvote 1

Panning around the VC was lovely, silky smooth. My frame rate was over 100 FPS.

So yes, there is indeed an advantage in regard to frame rate over 30. I can spot the difference instantly.

That's exactly what i was talking about! There IS a difference!

Tom

In the 20s and locked at 30. When I upgrade my system in a few years I will still be in the 20s and locked at 30. It's a result of moving the FSX sliders.