Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

What airline do you fly?

I've recently posted my disgruntled first experience with flying (I never got to my destination, had to cancel my trip outright). This time we are going with a different airline hoping for better results.  My question is who do you fly with? I could also add who you avoid?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I fly every May to St Maarten from Syracuse NY.  I usually go with US Airways as they usually have the best fares.  I've never had an unpleasant experience due to the airline.  Although, I might try JetBlue in 2015, as their fares are competitive, and their arrival time into SXM is earlier than AWE..

Overall, I'm looking at best bang for the buck.  I'm not airline loyal.

Not much choice for me Air Canada/WestJet, prefer WestJet if it can get me where I want to go.

What ever is the cheapest, mainly Ryanair, but Aer Lingus to London Heathrow for International connecting flights such as to the US. I've flown on too many airlines :P My favorite airline was before they merged Continental, just all out friendly crew and a really enjoyable flying experience. I will be flying with Qatar Airways in September to Bangalore so it will be interesting to see how good they are...

Before I retired I flew 2-3 weeks every month on a large variety of airlines, both domestic and international. YEARS ago I was loyal to American and the Continental each of which have become the New American and United Continental.............so now that I am retired I usually try and take Amtrak as much as possible. Maybe it is because I work at an airport? LOL

As the employee of a major airline, I was all prepared to make a bowl of popcorn and watch the show. I have to say, you guys have been pretty tame so far.

Southwest or Delta. The two best airlines in the U.S. IMO :)

Air Canada (Jazz) because they're the only ones to go where I usually fly. Had stellar service from British Airways before, and Air France was pretty good too. JetBlue is nice, too.

Over the past 2 weeks I have flown with Air New Zealand, Air Canada and Porter Airlines......Porter Airlines was the best. Air New Zealand is good too. Air Canada is fine but lacking on the niceties that the other two I mentioned are good at.

Porter goes above and beyond, Even at Chicago Midway just on Monday they were the only airline to have an express line to get through TSA, which is nice touch to get you through to the gate. Porter has all kinds of extras for its passengers.

I usually try for JetBlue first, and then Southwest second. Although I'm really wanting to try a Virgin America flight soon.

United/United Express regionals, just cause I have the best non-rev benefits with them. 

If I can recall my paying-for-flying days, I enjoyed Alaska and Delta the most. 

I never liked flying US Airways. Nothing particularly bad happened flying with them, I just thought their customer service was relatively unenthusiastic. Rarely heard a peep from the pilots over the PA.

I usually try for JetBlue first, and then Southwest second. Although I'm really wanting to try a Virgin America flight soon.

Virgin America is definitely a different experience if you haven't experienced it before.  I think you won't be disappointed.

I personally like the pink/purple cabin lighting during boarding.  :)

Aer lingus for transatlantic flights, never had a problem with them.

My favourite airline at the moment is JetBlue extremely friendly airline. Flew KDCA to KBOS and before the flight the pilot went and shook hands with everyone waiting at gate and thanked us all at the door as we departed in Boston.

I never liked flying US Airways. Nothing particularly bad happened flying with them, I just thought their customer service was relatively unenthusiastic. Rarely heard a peep from the pilots over the PA.

As a US Airways/American shareholder and Philadelphia resident, where they comprise the majority of KPHL's traffic, I have mixed feelings about the airline.  I have been rewarded for investing in the stock numerous times, both before and after the merger with American.  But I agree, their customer service is "meh".   Not sure about now, but their was no inflight entertainment when I flew with them back in 2010, on a 757 between Montego Bay Jamaica and Philadelphia.   Not even a seatback monitor with a moving map, the horror!   I always thought of them as a faceless corporation, as just a way to get between point A and B.   Now Virgin America, that outfit is the polar opposite.  

I have always dreamt of starting my own airline, and they pretty much fit with my idea of offering competition on heavily used routes with premium service and a reasonable price.  It's fun watching the upstarts come into my market and try to uproot US Airways monopoly on some routes, with the resulting airfare wars.   Southwest did it with routes like KPHL to KPIT and KBOS, and now, Virgin America offers the same level of competition on flights from KPHL to the two main west coast destinations, KLAX and KSFO. 

I usually fly United out of KEWR.  If you don't mind going to LGA or JFK airfares are usually cheaper  One time I flew out JFK on TWA, but that was only because I had a free round trip First Class to use to Paris.

For London, I've been using Virgin Atlantic as Premium Economy  an option, but United they consider it first class and the fare is first class.  Just not worth it.

I once heard of someone who tried to start an airline and got a loan from the local government, but then apparently they had problems and was not producing enough revenue to pay for the loan.  I think they only had a PC-12 or is there a larger version of that?   They ended up skipping town.  

Direct flights first, price second.  I don't fly enough to make airline loyalty worthwhile.

We fly out of Boston.  JetBlue to PBI.  We've done our last couple of ski trips out west on United, and I would have to say they treated us very well, particularly taking good care of us when our original flight got cancelled due to weather.  Swiss to Europe was like a trip back in time, to when flying was comfortable and relaxing and they treated you like guests, not cattle.

Southwest out of BOS almost always involves a plane change in Philly or Baltimore.  This makes the trip hours longer, and with their seating policy I avoid it.  I avoid Delta because I've had too many bad experiences with them.

Southwest or Delta. The two best airlines in the U.S. IMO :)

+1

I would imagine the best airline overall in the US right now is Virgin America.  I wish they were larger.  What's second is Southwest Airlines but that may change now that they are getting bigger.  

For me I fly Sun Country or Delta.  I have to support Sun Country as it's my hometown airline.  It's good to hear many here feel Delta is pretty good, I've never had a problem with them outside of the fact they absorbed Northwest and took all the cool simulators away from Eagan (Northwest's former HQ).  I had fun on the weekends (when I could) flying the DC9, 744, A320's and 757 simulators.  

Turkish Airlines and Emirates, because they cover all routes I need. Avoiding low cost airlines.

Maybe I just had a bad experience with United. We were pretty much treated with as little customer service as they could legally get away with. I will forever remember the line "You are all on your own to find both accommodations and your way to Europe now." 233 stranded people and United didn't lift a finger. I will never fly them again.

That's interesting to hear concerning United.  What rings in my head was a Delta flight years ago through Atlanta, "We are asking those that don't have a specific time to be at their destination would they kindly give up there seats for other passengers with more criticle deadlines.  Seat accommodations are running really short".  Who in their right mind is going to give up their paid for seat because the airline can't get it together or provide enough planes for the demand.  I was appalled when they bought out Northwest Airlines who was in a better financial position than they were.  The CEO that spear headed this was the ex-Northwest CEO.  Everything they promised KMSP they are going back on for the most part.  It seems they are doing a reasonable job now with customer service, go figure.

That being said I hear Spirit Airlines is the worst airline to fly, period.  Everything from nickle and dimming to poor customer service has been reported about this airline constantly.

That's interesting to hear concerning United.  What rings in my head was a Delta flight years ago through Atlanta, "We are asking those that don't have a specific time to be at their destination would they kindly give up there seats for other passengers with more criticle deadlines.  Seat accommodations are running really short".  Who in their right mind is going to give up their paid for seat because the airline can't get it together or provide enough planes for the demand.  I was appalled when they bought out Northwest Airlines who was in a better financial position than they were.  The CEO that spear headed this was the ex-Northwest CEO.  Everything they promised KMSP they are going back on for the most part.  It seems they are doing a reasonable job now with customer service, go figure.

That being said I hear Spirit Airlines is the worst airline to fly, period.  Everything from nickle and dimming to poor customer service has been reported about this airline constantly.

Customers are always being delayed for whatever reason, due to mechanical issues or weather and what not, and during my day at the airport that is actually a common occurrence. Person A has connecting flight from airport A to say Dublin Ireland and needs to be there jack flash so they don't miss the flight. That I understand more than  an airline not doing anything to help the people find SOMETHING when they do get stranded due to the airlines fault.  I will say that the people at the front counter at Dulles did their best to find us something, but I think they could have gone a bit more out of their way considering that it was their fault in the first place we were stranded.  I just felt like they were saying: "We screwed up, you clean up our mess."

American needs to scrap the aging MD-80,83 fleet. They're working on it with more 737 purchases but it's not going fast enough. I hate flying on them and will choose another flight for that specific reason.