Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

REX Soft Clouds in FSX ?

Do you need to have REX installed to use soft clouds? Since my last reinstall of FSX I have dispensed with REX in the interests of simplicity and have been using HDEv2 and are quite satisfied the visuals I get but these new soft clouds look intriguing and I may give them a go if I don't have to reinstall REX.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Do you need to have REX installed to use soft clouds? Since my last reinstall of FSX I have dispensed with REX in the interests of simplicity and have been using HDEv2 and are quite satisfied the visuals I get but these new soft clouds look intriguing and I may give them a go if I don't have to reinstall REX.

Bruceb

You do not need REX previous version you have installed just the new rex soft cloud install - it will replace your low level clouds

Rich Sennett

If you want to utilize the Soft Clouds package, you simply open REX4, go to the OPTIONS page, de-select LOW-LEVEL CLOUDS. Then you can use Soft Clouds to your hearts content. smile.png This will make sure the clouds from REX4 will not overwrite your chosen material from Soft Clouds

As explained in my previous post, I don't understand the concept of paying for 2d Sprites. It's akin to shelling out $15 or $60 for weapons with custom paint-jobs in Counter-Strike.

It's your money afterall, you guys are free to spend it on whatever you want. But as someone that works in the game industry (freelance), you're being had. You are also enabling like business decisions and practices in other sectors of this extremely niche genre. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

t's your money afterall, you guys are free to spend it on whatever you want. But as someone that works in the game industry (freelance), you're being had. You are also enabling like business decisions and practices in other sectors of this extremely niche genre. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

As you said; it's a niche genre, which means if $10 is what it takes to keep REX developing for this particular niche, then I consider it money well spent.

This time next week the meal I would have bought with the $10 will be long gone, but I'll still have the software.  B)

Ernest Pergrem

I don't understand the concept of paying for 2d Sprites. It's akin to shelling out $15 or $60 for weapons with custom paint-jobs in Counter-Strike.

Something wrong with that? It's not your money, and if that is what makes people happy, then! Funny thing about "Capitalism" it can only survive if it is supported. Bless the "Free Market"!

As explained in my previous post, I don't understand the concept of paying for 2d Sprites. It's akin to shelling out $15 or $60 for weapons with custom paint-jobs in Counter-Strike.

It's your money afterall, you guys are free to spend it on whatever you want. But as someone that works in the game industry (freelance), you're being had. You are also enabling like business decisions and practices in other sectors of this extremely niche genre. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Unless you're suggesting that everyone go and create their own cloud sprite textures, then I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Not everyone knows how to do that or even wants to - hence there being a market for it in products like this.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

This addon is excellent, well worth the money. I just purchased and loaded the textures into Rex4. The textures go great with ASN too, but activating the ASN low level clouds can hurt fps.

Not so! It's like shelling out for weapons with custom paint jobs but which also look much more realistic.Yes, they may just be 2d sprites but they're much better than the default 2d sprites and look a lot more like real clouds if you compare them side-by-side. If you're not worried about a realistic looking environment then they probably are a waste of money. Don't knock them until you've tried them!

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

As explained....

What an awful post! do you have any idea of the work that has gone in to REX? It is far beyond slapping a few bitmaps together and selling them, as is clear to anyone with any sense.. and knowledge.

This sort of nonsense is insulting to the developers, not only REX but anyone that goes to great lengths to make our simulated world better. You could level the same stupid remarks about many products, but the fact is 99% of people in this hobby can not do what these people do, and are happy to pay the (reasonable) price to those that can, and do.

We are not being "had" :rolleyes:

Why are the 2 of you replying to a troll post from almost a month ago?

Why are the 2 of you replying to a troll post from almost a month ago?

Didn't realise that there was a time limit on voicing opinions! Are you really sure it was a troll post? He seems to be a legitimate contributor to me.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

He seems to be a legitimate contributor to me.

Read most of his posts!!

Didn't notice the date :rolleyes:

Very sorry to bother you Jim.. I'll go and whip myself right now :ph34r:

What is the soft clouds experience like in DX9? 

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad