Sign in to follow this  
jarsky

Dovetail Flight Simulator

I'm happy with the news, and looking forward for the expected performance gains being it 64 bit and using DX11. I know this works way better based on my experience with DCS World, which first went 64 bit, then a year or so later, DX11...

Being a remake of FSX and not necessarily MS FLIGHT is, I believe, something we can't really understand very well, unless we've been working directly with any of the teams.

When MS FLIGHT had it's fate announced, I re-installed FSX ( actually bought it again because I had long thrown the original disks to the trash can ) and started trying some comparisons between the Maule in MS FLIGHJ and it's FSX version, just to find out that, apart from the more detailed fuel management ( we had to manage the auxiliary tanks in the MS FLIGHT version because the pumps were actually operational, while in FSX they're fake... ), apart from that, i was surprised that, all things being a bit different in terms of graphics and performance, truth was the two aircraft behaved, in as far as flight behavior is concerned, pretty much the same way!

Also, some of the bugs / limitations present in FSX were there exactly reproduced in MS FLIGHT, like the lean bug, the CS Prop bugs, etc...

I don't think there is really any major difference in the core flight dynamics model present in MS FLIGHT vs ESp / FSX / P3D, so, in this area, I will stick to the fact that, as a user of all other civil flight simulators ( with the exception of a professional one where detail and accuracy for IFR training is 2nd to none ... ) FSX / P3D / MS FLIGHT are the best when the add-ons we use are also designed with quality - PMDG, RealAir, A2A that's my reference, and these are all just great and make our experience unique.

Weather was also a bit different between MS FLIGHT and FSX, but this is true only in as far as we stick with default weather, which we seldom do. I have always used Active Sky products, and am a proud owner of ASN, and, with ASN I have in FSX:SE the best and closest to real experience I get from any flight simulator I used.

This all just to say that it doesn't chock me at all that Dovetail's Fying School and future Flight Simulator are being developed based on FSX and not on the MS FLIGHT branch of the code, quite on the contrary.

Then, and since it happened with X-plane 10 too, I am sure that keeping the core pretty much the same, developers will have less work updating their aircraft to the new 64 bit flight simulator, and that means that in 2 years or so we will probably be happily using our A2Ass, PMDGs and RealAirs in DTG Flight sim...

If some one asked me if I was willing to wait two years for the same, for the better, I have now, in 64 bit and DX11 I would gladly say Wiiiiii!!!!!! which is what I say after having read Dovetail's announcement.

I which their Team the BEST! We simmers were long waiting for something really promising to happen in the Civil flight simulation area... and it is happening!

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Wake me up in a few years when (or if) there is a good body of serious high quality content for this (i.e. anything not made by DTG, based on their Train Sim content).  Even if it does come out on time, and even if it does support third party addons, it's going to be a number of years before there's enough content to consider it a worthy successor to either FSX/P3D or XP.

We need new blood in this hobby, but the rumours of any simulator's demise are very premature at this stage.

DTG Flight Simulator will allow 3rd parties to develop on their platform. This is confirmed by multiple sources, both official and unofficial but very well informed (Jordan King). Not DTG Flight School, though, which will be a closed environment exclusively focused on training and attracting new people to the flight sim world (the famous new blood). Martin replied to me that it will be probably possible to export your pilot record from Flight School to Flight Simulator, however they will be two separate products focused on two different targets.

We need new blood in this hobby, but the rumours of any simulator's demise are very premature at this stage.

Absolutely. It will take time before DTG Flight Simulator will become mature. No reason for you to throw away what you have and are enjoying now.

I think it's a sensible move to split off the new learners' flight school into a separate package, given that the perceived simpleness of Flight was one of the biggest bugbears for many long-time simmers.

Looking forward to seeing more screenshots, particularly ones giving indications of how they plan to manage vegetations / buildings / mesh / weather etc.

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Agree Skotch! The terrain will be one of the most interesting features. Have they managed to do something about the pancake flat ground, stretched textures, autogen textures, airport textures, vegetation etc. Will be interesting!  

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

In addition, you will be able to enter the whole world:

As we currently do, with FSX, FSX:SE et al..

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

My take from the announcement is that DTG-FS is basically going to be the FSXI that there never was, plus it's going to be 64 bit and DX11. That's what everyone's wanted for years right? So why all the negativity?!

• Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I'll be picking both up anyway, you can never have enough flight-sims installed :smile: . I hope that the third-party developer support will also include freeware developers, otherwise I think this sim will have a short life or be of limited interest. 

One thing to come out of this is that maybe it will give Laminar Research (X-Plane 10) a kick forward. They've had so many opportunities to win over the flight sim market, but have strangely not even tried (repeatedly). Reading the comments section on Steam, the majority of users do not like the sim, complaining about the plausible scenery, complex interface and lack of ATC and decent default planes. They are seriously missing the plot here if they think people won't just move onto another sim out of frustration, and XP's saving grace about being the only 64-bit consumer flight-sim will no longer be valid. If I was in charge of X-Plane development it would really bother me that new users would rather use FSX or even FS9 which is 10 years old. I think it's a fantastic sim, but I'm not married or loyal to it, and if something better comes along, I'll drop it in a heartbeat, especially if allows freeware developers  :wink:

Additionally, another flight-sim, AeroFlyFS 2 is apparently going into beta testing next month. Although a small market share, this is another sim which will apparently allow third-party development and cover the world. It's multi-platform out-of-the-box, and likely will be 64-bit (although I don't know). Competition in the market is good for us consumers and is something which has generally be lacking for some time.

Although I was doubtful at first, I think one thing DTG are doing right is the flight school game. Giving new users something basic but serious to learn from and hopefully open up enough curiosity that the user will want to learn more and more. I still remember doing my first successful circuit of Meig's field in FS2000 and following the lessons, which not only strengthened my interest in flight-simulation, but also made me go out to my local airport and do it for real. In a world where we all now seem to strive for super accurate and complex simulation, this is a step back to the basics for a new generation.

The terrain will be one of the most interesting features. Have they managed to do something about the pancake flat ground, stretched textures, autogen textures, airport textures, vegetation etc. Will be interesting!  

I'm doubtful that for the first release we will see a huge difference. The reason I'm thinking is that it sounds like they won't have a huge amount of time to develop this, and moving to 64-bit sounds like a big task already. LM have been developing P3D for some time and the terrain is pretty much identical to FSX. Maybe DTG have a bigger team and put more resources into it, so I hope we do see some progress.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything mind blowing with scenery on release. Orbs already have history selling stuff through them for FSXSE on Steam so I wouldn't be surprised if both parties want to leverage that relationship for all it's worth.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Really pleased with this news, a good step forwards 64bit DX11.....

Looking forward to seeing it in action....

enjoy what you fly.....

Best  Mark

The title implies this will be for Windows 10 only.  Anyone know if this is going to actually be true?  I'm not a fan of Microsoft trying to push Windows 10 on everyone, even though I get their interest in supporting only one platform.

Eric Szczesniak

Not! The posting is a general information post, as have many other forums have posted.]Just because it's an Xbox news posting, that certainly does not indicate & is certainly not mentioned, that it will be an Xbox or Windows 10 only release.  Ooops, sorry me bad. I read too quickly!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

Could be, seeing that it's not an Xbox release, maybe just hype (Maybe, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 could not fit into the line?)

I'm sure they have just taken the news brief & massaged it to suit themselves.

If the DTG releases ar going to be DX12, THEN I would be concerned.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

DTG for Kids......2016

DTG with RealAir,PMDG,A2A.........2019 or  Never??

Not sure why this is exciting news.

• Upvote 1

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/