Sign in to follow this  
Terrydew

P3D taking over by year end

The guys at Orbx are projecting at the current growth rate that over 85% of their customers will be on P3D V3 by year end. I knew it was growing but not that fast. I think that is great as its showing forward movement.

Terry

• Upvote 1

I wonder how DTG's flight sim will hit these figures when more news becomes available. The lack of compatibility might keep people on P3D for sometime yet

I wonder how DTG's flight sim will hit these figures when more news becomes available. The lack of compatibility might keep people on P3D for sometime yet

I too thought about that yesterday.  I realized that I have quite a few clams invested in P3D right now, coupled with the fact that I have just about set P3D exactly where I want it and I don't have any technical issues with flight.  I am still curious as to how DTG's sim will compare, but I have a very funny feeling it won't. I DO however feel that DTG's sim will ultimately replace FSX:SE.

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

"The guys at Orbx" is John Venema, the CEO.  I'm not sure 85% is strictly correct, however.  I have a feeling that a lot of P3D users will have dual installations with FSX and P3D running on the same rig, since many aircraft that run on FSX don't on P3D, for whatever reasons.  Which means FSX, while it will eventually not be the sim of choice, will still hang around for quite awhile.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

I too thought about that yesterday.  I realized that I have quite a few clams invested in P3D right now, coupled with the fact that I have just about set P3D exactly where I want it and I don't have any technical issues with flight.  I am still curious as to how DTG's sim will compare, but I have a very funny feeling it won't. I DO however feel that DTG's sim will ultimately replace FSX:SE.

-Jim

1+

Rich Sennett

"The guys at Orbx" is John Venema, the CEO.  I'm not sure 85% is strictly correct, however.  I have a feeling that a lot of P3D users will have dual installations with FSX and P3D running on the same rig, since many aircraft that run on FSX don't on P3D, for whatever reasons.  Which means FSX, while it will eventually not be the sim of choice, will still hang around for quite awhile.

+1

MSFS - XPlane11 & 12- P3D4 - Windows 10 64 bit - Corsair One i140 - i7 9700K 3.6Ghz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 

Patrick Mussotte

I have a feeling that a lot of P3D users will have dual installations with FSX and P3D running on the same rig, since many aircraft that run on FSX don't on P3D, for whatever reasons. Which means FSX, while it will eventually not be the sim of choice, will still hang around for quite awhile.

And I have a feeling you only think that because you still have FSX running on the same rig... :wink: I don't: I deleted FSX the day I got P3D and I have a feeling most people who moved to P3D don't have FSX anymore. But we will never know this for sure until someone does a thorough investigation on this. :wink:

But anyway, I think we should take care not to misunderstand Venema (like some or most of you seem to do): he is not talking about "P3D users" like you do but about his "customers". And that's a totally different story. I do think that apart from simmers and seriously interested PC pilots most of the FSX users have never ever heard of P3D. (Or Orbx for that matter.) Which means FSX is here to stay for quite some time. And it will have far more users worldwide than P3D for quite some time too. Maybe DTG's upcoming sim (not the school) could become a contender for the flightsim crown because it is being released as a game so regular FSX users will hear about it too, unlike P3D. Time will tell.

The guys at Orbx are projecting at the current growth rate that over 85% of their customers will be on P3D V3 by year end. I knew it was growing but not that fast. I think that is great as its showing forward movement.

Terry

That percentage means nothing without context.  I could increase my customer base from 1 to 2 and report a 100% growth.  The 85% growth is probably more indicative of P3D current low market share.  Every metric available indicates FSX and FSX SE still dominate the marketplace; AVSIMs own annual survey reflects a 8 to 1 market share.  DeltaVA (2500 pilots) publishes their stats and show 75% of  ACARS flights are flown using FSX/SE, FS2004 10%, and P3D 7%. DG has two distinctive advantage over LM.  First, a much larger indented audience; second, a  distribution platform with millions of registered users (i.e. STEAM).  I can't imagine P3D ever eclipsing DG, nor do I believe they view DG as a competitor...

And I have a feeling you only think that because you still have FSX running on the same rig... :wink: I don't: I deleted FSX the day I got P3D and I have a feeling most people who moved to P3D don't have FSX anymore. But we will never know this for sure until someone does a thorough investigation on this. :wink:

But anyway, I think we should take care not to misunderstand Venema (like some or most of you seem to do): he is not talking about "P3D users" like you do but about his "customers". And that's a totally different story. I do think that apart from simmers and seriously interested PC pilots most of the FSX users have never ever heard of P3D. (Or Orbx for that matter.) Which means FSX is here to stay for quite some time. And it will have far more users worldwide than P3D for quite some time too. Maybe DTG's upcoming sim (not the school) could become a contender for the flightsim crown because it is being released as a game so regular FSX users will hear about it too, unlike P3D. Time will tell.

wish I would of waited 5 min before posting....you articulated my thoughts precisely....

Matt King

That percentage means nothing without context.  I could increase my customer base from 1 to 2 and report a 100% growth.

Orbx isn't reporting a rate, they're reporting a volume.

85% of their customer base is significant, especially considering how many FS users over the years to whom they've likely catered.
  • Upvote 1

That percentage means nothing without context.  I could increase my customer base from 1 to 2 and report a 100% growth.  The 85% growth is probably more indicative of P3D current low market share.  Every metric available indicates FSX and FSX SE still dominate the marketplace; AVSIMs own annual survey reflects a 8 to 1 market share.  DeltaVA (2500 pilots) publishes their stats and show 75% of  ACARS flights are flown using FSX/SE. DG has two distinctive advantage over LM.  First, a much larger indented audience; second, a  distribution platform with millions of registered users (i.e. STEAM).  I can't imagine P3D ever eclipsing DG, nor do I believe they view DG as a competitor...

wish I would of waited 5 min before posting....you articulated my thoughts precisely....

The context is in the original post. It is projected "based on current growth rate" to be 85% of Orbx customers "by year end" which I think would include most serious simers. Those are the ones the developers pay attention to. I would love to know these numbers for say A2A or PMDG.

Terry

• Upvote 1

...  DeltaVA (2500 pilots) publishes their stats and show 75% of  ACARS flights are flown using FSX/SE, FS2004 10%, and P3D 7%...

BAVirtual (1250 pilots) shows something like FS9/FSX 65.3%, P3D 31.3%, XP10 3.3% for March and I'm sure P3D willl have increased its share when we get the April figures.

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

JV post was referring to his customers.

The context is in the original post. It is projected "based on current growth rate" to be 85% of Orbx customers "by year end" which I think would include most serious simers.

I agree first part of this comment and a couple previous posters above, JV's post should be taken in the context it was posted.

I am on P3D but still have a "basic" FSX setup. (Do I fit into both categories? and future DTG?)

FSX is here to stay for years to come.

Just an example: Two of my closest friends, who by the way have very complex FSX hardware and "semi pro" cockpits have never heard of AVSIM,or ORBX. They fly IVAO at least 3-4 times a week and one of them occasionally invites/brings his company pilots to his flights.

+1

I do think that apart from simmers and seriously interested PC pilots most of the FSX users have never ever heard of P3D. (Or Orbx for that matter.)

....wait...WHAAAAAAT?

Dear Sir,

... then I guess that means that those self same users have their heads sunk as deeply in the proverbial sands, as you do.

Respectfully submitted,

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I am one of those who moved on from FSX boxed to FSX:SE and then P3D.  I currently fly only with P3D, despite the fact that not all content in the flight sim world is P3D compatible.  I still have all of my content for FSX, as do i still have the DVD of FSX boxed and the download is still available in Steam for FSX:SE, but I won't go back.  I am pleased as peaches to how P3D runs on my rig.  With v3.2, things have only gotten better.

I have a great respect for the ORBX team, and everything they have provided us so far.  They work hard and diligently to keep their products up to date and as compatible as possible.  Their recent official partnership with Dovetail is commendable, as they probably see that DTG will be around for a long time.  Their new sim coming out will be a defining moment and quite possible up the game to the competition to put out more powerful, detailed sims (I'm looking right at you Lockheed Martin).  Soon, 32-bit sims will be a thing of the past and that's a good thing.

This is an expensive hobby we have.

-Jim

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit