Sign in to follow this  
Egbert Drenth

Market research - Rendering inner structures of terminals

Rendering the inner structures of terminals  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever checked in inner structures of terminals (desks, elevators, toilets)

• Yes, I do it all the time
    • No, but I don't mind if they are there
    • No, and I don't want them because of possible performance and VAS issues

Hi,

I'm conducting a little market research  :smile:

More and more developers add extensive inner structures of terminals, like desks, toilets, elevators, seats, benches and a lot of other stuff.

I'm a bit worried about this tendency because it all has to be rendered and it uses VAS.

I don't mind developers doing this, as long as we have an option to put it completely off.

Personally I never ever check the inners of terminals because I'm sitting in a cockpit and therefor don't walk through terminals.

Nevertheless you may think way differently, hence this market research...

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

If done correctly, it doesnt affect VAS as much as you would think. The problem only really exists when it is poorly optimized. I think that as long as there is a control panel with the scenery that allows for this to be turned on and off, it should not be an issue. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Interesting poll on a recent trend. I understand that the best developers in their labor of love, always want to push the limits of what they offer us and I appreciate that :smile: . But, honestly, I couldn't care less for terminal interiors.  It may affect the sim load only slightly but, as we are always on the borderline of what our rig can process, I can do without any fluff of that kind.  

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

"I'm a bit worried about this tendency because it all has to be rendered and it uses VAS"

Biased poll right there.. FYI

Having the inside of buildings modeled is the most idiot thing I can imagine.  When is the last time you flew inside a building?  How many screenshots have you seen on the screenies forum of building insides?

Are you listening Orbx?

I find it completely and utterly pointless. The mere fact, that the development time for airports, scenery and aircrafts are already taking years in some cases, why on God's green earth would you extend that development time by adding stuff like this? And it's not even the process of just modelling interiors, these developers are also claiming to have implemented methods to reduce or completely remove the VAS impact -- Great! So they spent additional development time on that as well? If developers are getting so efficient they can spend time on stuff like this, why not put that towards a quicker development time / better price for the customers?

... Sorry, I'm a bit bitter. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Agree with the negative response to Airport innards development, AND with the time spent in detailing same… Feeling that it could've been have been better spent on the outside, detailing what we would normally see… But that's just me.

Cheers to all,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

On the surface I see no need to eat up performance with such stuff. There is another side of the story for Prepar3d. We here tend to think of P3D as a "Flight Sim" because that is what we do. If you look deeper into things then you see that P3D is much more than a flight sim. It is an Earth Sim. and may already be a Moon Sim and Mars Sim. :Nerd: P3D is used for training a lot of different folks. I think that is why say a company like ORBX and others are looking at expanding into this area. Having said that, I agree that P3D should have a really big on/off switch for these cpu cycle munchers.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Having the inside of buildings modeled is the most idiot thing I can imagine.  When is the last time you flew inside a building?  How many screenshots have you seen on the screenies forum of building insides?

Are you listening Orbx?

What if you have to go to the restroom before your long flight?    :nea:

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

As amazing as the promo videos make new airports look with walk thrus of the airport terminals, the wow factor starts and stops with the video.

When I fly into an airport, I usually immediately start prepping for the turnaround or go to my (real) kitchen for a cup of coffee. The enormous effort it must take developers to produce terminal interiors just cannot be worth their effort - as talented as they may be. There really is no value added to the experience of flightsimming.

The GTAV crowd may like that kind of thing, but this is a tough crowd

What if you have to go to the restroom before your long flight?    :nea:

Thank you very much, but I have a bathroom 10 feet down the hall.

I suggest that Orbx put a poll on their website and ask their users how they fell about this subject.

I find including interiors to actually take away the immersion factor.  Why?  Well, for one thing the terminals are completely empty.  A ghost town! Where's the people... the hussle-the bussle?   Same thing when I find aircraft cabins completely void of humans.  Just doesn't work for me.

I would prefer they put the effort into ground "clutter" airside than inside.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Agreed fully....interiors are nice to look at in a video--for 30 seconds--but that's it. I wish devs would clearly enable the option to shut off interiors or preferably not do them at all.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Better not. If we ever had a 64-bit version then it could possibly be interesting, but since this isn't the case, should be completely avoided IMHO.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

All this development takes time and the cost has to be recovered...that's where we, the payer, come in.

I would rather the time be better spent on either developing another project or reducing the cost of the current one.

If you really need to play in buildings then get something like 'The Sims'.

Cheers

Steve Hall