Sign in to follow this  
mtrainer

Longest Sim 737NGX Flight Without Refueling?

Hello,

I recently completed a flight from PHLI (Lihue, Hawaii) to KCPR (Casper, WY) in Prepar3D/PDMG 737NGX which took approximately 7 hours and registered roughly 2242 nm in the plane and 3,346 miles according to google maps.  I achieved a maximum altitude of 46K (yeah not optimum for fuel I was beginning to mush through the air at the end), started with a full tank and landed with 2.5K to spare.  I also had a full load of passengers and cargo.

I was trying to reach Chicago, but when it became obvious I wasn't going to make it I landed at Casper (my first time landing there too).

I have also flown once from Lihue to Las Vegas in the sim which is doable.

I'm thinking of trying to reach Anchorage from Lihue as my next attempt for long distance flights.  I don't use the simulation speed-up feature, I let it run on A/P and pop in from time to time to make sure something hasn't gone horribly wrong.  Also if you uncheck "pause sim on task switch" you can even minimize the FS window, move it to a different monitor and continue to use your PC.

What is your farthest flight without refueling?

Mark Trainer

Should be interesting to see what people report back with.

I know SAS ran a ENZV-KIAH flight for a little while (two big oil towns, so I think it was something related to Statoil):

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SAS951

...then again, they also had additional fuel tanks, I believe.

Kyle Rodgers

Which Variant of the NGX did you use, as they all get slightly different fuel economies for what they carry. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

The longest commercial flight I can see currently is EKCH to KBOS note Statute miles (SM) are not the same as Nautical miles. For this planned flight the distance would convert to about 3400+NM. There is also a couple of private 737-700's to the same destinations, so this may actually be a charter.

Tom Cain

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/SAS927/history/20160805/1100Z/EKCH/KBOS

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Same here, my longest was a NAX KJFK-EKCH in the B738, 3450 nm and about 6+30.  I had to reduce the payload significantly to do the return trip so I skipped it. (Note: NAX puts their B788 on that route during peak season). I'd put 7 hr as the practical limit.

Dan Downs KCRP

Anchorage to several Hawaiian airports are seasonal real world flights. Have done several of those. Straight line great circle routing is only about 120 nm greater than from KLAX.

Joe Lorenc

ASA flies PANC-PHNL then PHNL-KSEA, makes a nice weekend sim journey.  However, Anchorage to Oahu is almost 1000 nm less than New York to Copenhagen.

Dan Downs KCRP

Another long route for the NG is Copa Airlines flight from Panama to Buenos Aires (MPTO-SAEZ). If winds are not favorable or the weather is not good, they often land at Mendoza (SAME) to refuel.

It's in the 737-800.

cheers

-E

Enrique Vaamonde

The aircraft isn't certified over FL410 and that high you are just wasting more fuel than you may have thought you would be saving. I am not big on random non realistic flights, there are a couple real flights that can push the 737 to the limits depending on your weights. Norwegian fly from Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm to Dubai and back. Going back with the required longer routes and wind can be at the limits of the 738. Copa has some long flights in their 737's. There are delivery flights from Boeing field you could do, a lot of island hopping in the pacific or nonstop to Europe. - David Lee

ASA has some of the longest passenger configuration flights. I flew in one KMIA-KSEA in the winter. Then there are the ETOPS which have special fuel reserves requirements to Hawaii.

Qantas operates seasonal services from Sydney to Denpasar (Bali) using the 737-800.

Full fuel uplift, pax and bags only, and a decision point on route as to whether to proceed (committed to land at DPS) or tech stop (Broome, Port Headland, Darwin - depending on the route on the day).

Land with about 2.7 tonne fuel remaining, so FFR plus 45 minutes.

With SID to follow and manoeuvring within the Bali TMA it is just a tad over 2,920 miles.

A very carefully managed sector.

From boeing.com:

AUCKLAND, New Zealand, Sept. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) Business Jets set a new world record for "Speed Over a Recognized Course" when a BBJ flew non-stop from Los Angeles to Auckland, New Zealand for installation of its VIP interiors. The BBJ, a 737-700 modified for VIP use, made the 5,658 nautical mile (10,479 km) trip in 13 hours, 7 minutes and 54 seconds.

Granted, this was a modified BBJ with extended fuel tanks, but still.. good stretch if you ask me.

KJFK-EKGG - 738. 4000-5000 pound payload with 5500 pounds of fuel left. Same flight westbound about 2000 pounds of fuel left. I did it to see if it could be done. I entered the route into the FMC, loaded the tanks up and flew. The planner I was using at the time (Spring 2012) said more fuel was required than the tanks would hold.

Qantas operates seasonal services from Sydney to Denpasar (Bali) using the 737-800.

Full fuel uplift, pax and bags only, and a decision point on route as to whether to proceed (committed to land at DPS) or tech stop (Broome, Port Headland, Darwin - depending on the route on the day).

Land with about 2.7 tonne fuel remaining, so FFR plus 45 minutes.

With SID to follow and manoeuvring within the Bali TMA it is just a tad over 2,920 miles.

A very carefully managed sector.

Virgin Australia fly this route too - David Lee