Bobsk8

New Forum Layout

Wondering how members feel about the new P3D forum layout compared to the previous one?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Grafic ... deoends on taste.

But technical: slower on my end.

And I'm not able to jump from a forum overview into the last page of a thread. Maybe I'm to stupid or there is no possibility - both cases are not user friendly and very annoying.

Wonder what the reason for this change was as eveything was working very well before ...

I've only viewed it on an iPhone so far and it seems awkward on this device.

• Upvote 1

Changing (back) away from question/answer forum style was already a major step forward! :)

Can the ridiculously tall/large header image be turned off somewhere?

Good lord - this is a forum, not a brochure/portfolio site...

• Upvote 3

Anything new and differnt will feel a bit uncomfortable for a while. Even with my moderator duties, I'm having to look for certain options that apparently have moved. Same thing when I first started using the OLD format. Takes a while.

The majority of the complaints that I have read all relate to being unable to locate old functions QUICKLY - and that will come with time.

A bit of patience will be good for us all!

Vic

• Upvote 1

On PC it seems fine, but I wish there was a more "compact" mobile version.

• Upvote 3

I generally do not like change unless the benefits outweigh the inconvenience of the change

Just like a P3D updates.. I look at the updates and decide if I need to update

So, what is the value added from the earlier format. I notice the "recent posts" and "posts that I am participating is updated" is missing. I hope that comes back.

:)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, irrics said:

Can the ridiculously tall/large header image be turned off somewhere?

Good lord - this is a forum, not a brochure/portfolio site...

no you cannot! I just found out that the 747 cockpit picture is my picture....so no, you cannot change it!!!! :))))

Just kidding! the forum is interesting on a phone for sure. Will take some time getting used to.

I notice that it is a lot slower when going to the 2nd page of a thread and when submitting a post.

I'm presuming that its is because there are still background tasks happening due to the changeover (e.g. Indexing).

Hopefully this will settle down in the next couple of days and the speed will be back to normal.

As I understand it, there are quite a few tasks that could only be completed AFTER the site went live so the slowdown is to be expected during the shakeout.

25 minutes ago, Manny said:

So, what is the value added from the earlier format. I notice the "recent posts" and "posts that I am participating is updated" is missing. I hope that comes back.

If you click the Unread Content at top of forum you'll get a bunch of other options. I think that will give you what you want for now. Not sure if you can have a specific shortcut for your selections though.

Vic

For me the look and feel is more up to date than in the old forum. It is fast, it looks nice, so in two weeks or so nobody will talk about this changes... 

To me it's definitely worse. I've been experiencing this layout in Aerosoft's and FSL's forum for a long time now and i miss the old one still.

It provides less space for useful information (major drawback), it's generally slower and contains many "features" most people can live without.

Just my $.02

• Upvote 3

We can't stay in 1998 forever guys, we have to move on with the time. The new template has a lot of modern features that will make the forum easier to use in the long run.

Thank you for updating the forum, I personally really enjoy it!

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Wondering how members feel about the new P3D forum layout compared to the previous one?

It's really horrible.

Pete

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Manny said:

So, what is the value added from the earlier format.

It is not a case of "value added" so much as a case of having to update the core forum software. The previous version is obsolete and shortly will be out of support. Since AVSIM pays for the support, there was really no choice in the matter.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

It's really horrible.

Pete

Now let us know how you really feel about it.   ;)

Hi Folks,

Ahh - the good old days - BBS - Monochrome - and Modems...

[smile]

Ware_Express_zps7xjnqkpr.jpg

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1