Sign in to follow this  
cowboy10uk

What flight planning software do you use for GA aircraft?

Hi guys, I'm thinking of doing a round the world flight in my A2A Comanche.  I'm just wondering what flight planning software you guys use when doing GA flights? 

I already have PFPX which I use for my 777, but that seems to be directed for heavy metal flying, rather than GA Vor to Vor flights.  Any advice would be greatfully received. 

Cowboy10uk

There are plenty of options but I use

Fs-FlightControl (https://www.fs-flightcontrol.com/en/)

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

You can also try my SimLauncherX application, it's free.

thanks, Maarten

Maarten Boelens ([m][a:][R][t][ʏ][n])
Developer of SimLauncherX

ftx_supporter_avsim.gifC172Siggy1_zps11944daf.jpg

As I'm using my Prepar3D for real flight training, I use the planification tool I'm using in real life, on my tablet.

When flying in Europe, my planification app is SkyDemon (http://www.skydemon.aero/) and when flying in US, it's Foreflight (https://foreflight.com/). Both on iPad Mini.

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

If you mean in real life, I don't use software at all, I use the Mark 1 Finger in conjunction with the Mark 1 Eyeball, i.e., you lick your finger, hold it up and see which which way and how strong the wind is blowing, then with that detailed appraisal of the meteorological conditions, you look upwind and see what the weather looks like in that direction. Additional information on the air temperature can be gained by riding my motorcycle to the airfield, if I can feel my hands when I get there, icing conditions are unlikely, if I was able to loosen my motorcycle jacket en-route and needed to drop the tinted visor on my helmet, strong thermal activity is likely. Then I grab a chart (yup, a real paper one) and work out a route on that. Oh, and I check on the clubhouse notice board for any Notams too, this because I nearly got ploughed into by a pair of Harrier Jets doing low level combat spread practice over Derbyshire once lol.

If you mean in the sim, I use the default flight planner, then import that into Pro ATC X and then tweak it there, then bang it back out from there back into the sim format so that it can be read as a default flight plan.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

If needs be I use onlineflightplanner.org. Yes it caters for the big iron, but can do for smaller aircraft too - I don't bother with fuel as the GA planes aren't in a drop down list, and I usually set off with full tanks anyway.  Otherwise I'll use the default sim planner (in my case FSX:SE).

Otherwise I just watch the GPS and go where I want to go, conditions permitting.

In the real world, I've not yet solo'd in gliders, so it's a case of looking out of my window to see if the hill is visible (I'm a couple of miles away fro my club airfield!) - if it is and there's no rain then when I get to the club I watch what the others are doing; I'm nowhere close to even trying a cross country flight as yet.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I use SkyVector. You can set up your aircraft's performance and it will give you fuel prediction, along with winds and a very nice interface.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Skyvector and then insert in Plan G3. Here is a video on how to do both VFR and IFR, and you get a great moving map at the same time with Plan G. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

the best one to me for GA is Little Navmap... no doubt.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Undoubtedly Little navmap

/Thomas

Thomas ( Sundsvall, ESNN, Sweden)
P3D V5.3 HF1, Intel 9 9900K Oc 5 GHZ 16MB, Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB 360mm, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB ROG, 2 Corsair Force M2 MP600 1TB+500Gb, ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO Z390 MB, Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200Mhz CL16, Fractal Design Define S2 Vision, Win 10 Home, BenQ 32" PD3200U 4K IPS monitor

A2A, Majestic Q400, Leonardo Maddog, IFly B737

1 hour ago, Daedalus said:

I use SkyVector. You can set up your aircraft's performance and it will give you fuel prediction, along with winds and a very nice interface.

I use this as well. Has all the CD-R charts, etc. 

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Skyvector here also for IFR and VFR. It has all the charts I need. Been meaning to look into little NavMap but haven't got around to it.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4