cowboy10uk

What flight planning software do you use for GA aircraft?

Hi guys, I'm thinking of doing a round the world flight in my A2A Comanche.  I'm just wondering what flight planning software you guys use when doing GA flights? 

I already have PFPX which I use for my 777, but that seems to be directed for heavy metal flying, rather than GA Vor to Vor flights.  Any advice would be greatfully received. 

Cowboy10uk

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If you mean in real life, I don't use software at all, I use the Mark 1 Finger in conjunction with the Mark 1 Eyeball, i.e., you lick your finger, hold it up and see which which way and how strong the wind is blowing, then with that detailed appraisal of the meteorological conditions, you look upwind and see what the weather looks like in that direction. Additional information on the air temperature can be gained by riding my motorcycle to the airfield, if I can feel my hands when I get there, icing conditions are unlikely, if I was able to loosen my motorcycle jacket en-route and needed to drop the tinted visor on my helmet, strong thermal activity is likely. Then I grab a chart (yup, a real paper one) and work out a route on that. Oh, and I check on the clubhouse notice board for any Notams too, this because I nearly got ploughed into by a pair of Harrier Jets doing low level combat spread practice over Derbyshire once lol.

If you mean in the sim, I use the default flight planner, then import that into Pro ATC X and then tweak it there, then bang it back out from there back into the sim format so that it can be read as a default flight plan.

• Upvote 2

If needs be I use onlineflightplanner.org. Yes it caters for the big iron, but can do for smaller aircraft too - I don't bother with fuel as the GA planes aren't in a drop down list, and I usually set off with full tanks anyway.  Otherwise I'll use the default sim planner (in my case FSX:SE).

Otherwise I just watch the GPS and go where I want to go, conditions permitting.

In the real world, I've not yet solo'd in gliders, so it's a case of looking out of my window to see if the hill is visible (I'm a couple of miles away fro my club airfield!) - if it is and there's no rain then when I get to the club I watch what the others are doing; I'm nowhere close to even trying a cross country flight as yet.

I use SkyVector. You can set up your aircraft's performance and it will give you fuel prediction, along with winds and a very nice interface.

Skyvector and then insert in Plan G3. Here is a video on how to do both VFR and IFR, and you get a great moving map at the same time with Plan G. 

the best one to me for GA is Little Navmap... no doubt.

1 hour ago, Daedalus said:

I use SkyVector. You can set up your aircraft's performance and it will give you fuel prediction, along with winds and a very nice interface.

I use this as well. Has all the CD-R charts, etc. 

Skyvector here also for IFR and VFR. It has all the charts I need. Been meaning to look into little NavMap but haven't got around to it.

Ted