Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Honeycomb aeronautical released?

Good to know that the pitch axis bungee could be easy to replace. When I tried the yoke at FSExpo19 I was not impressed with how stiff/tight the pitch axis was. Other than that I felt it was a great replacement for the Saitek's, specially at the price point.

That was my only complaint too. Pitch was way too tight.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Thanks for your report on this yoke.  I would greatly appreciate if you could measure the maximum desk thickness that the clamps can accommodate.   

Mike A.

14 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Thanks for your report on this yoke.  I would greatly appreciate if you could measure the maximum desk thickness that the clamps can accommodate.   

Mike A.

Sure thing.  The inside measurement of the inside of the clamp to the top of the rubber pad which sits on the movable jaw is 2-3/32 inches, which is 2.09375 inches, or 53.1812mm.  The rubber pad measures 1/32 of the inch in width (see measurements without rubber pad below).

Note the photo below and adjusting for the camera angle (it's late here and I've had a couple, but don't worry I'm not flying!), the designed distance from the internal of the clamp to the top of the movable jaw is actually 2-1/8 inch (2.125 inches, or 53.975mm) with the extra length being accounted for by the black rubber pad which sits on top of the the movable jaw.

I hope this helps!

Honeycomb-Clamp-Measurement.jpg

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks for posting the picture, Dave.  I talked to Honeycomb today regarding the clamp used on the Quadrant and he said it was 3".  I assumed clamps for the Quadrant and Yoke were probably the same, maybe not.  In either case, I'm covered (barely) since my desk is 2" thick.  BTW, he said the Quadrant would be out in the 1st quarter of 2020.  I'm hoping before that.  My other choice is the VF TQ6+, but a lot more expensive and I like the the extras on the Honeycomb assuming build is good.

Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

I just take the plunge for the Yoke 🙂

6 hours ago, JNS said:

Quadrant would be out in the 1st quarter of 2020.  I'm hoping before that.

Me too 🙂

Gérard

On 6/10/2019 at 4:13 AM, MarkW said:

Does anyone know if they use Hall sensors (is that the correct term) ?  I can't find on their website.  

Why on earth would they not use Hall effect sensors?.....they are now a "dime a dozen" comparatively. What a shame.

Edited by cowpatz

Cheers

Steve Hall

Actually they are not. You can buy a basic if sensor for pennies but then you need to figure out the design changes to incorporate it into the place where you would have had a pot. You also need to buy a small rare earth magnet to go with it and also incorporate that into your design too. Then you need to make sure it is calibrated and this calibration needs to be stored in the device controller. All of this in a product that has motion that does not lend itself well to being measured by rotational measuring sensors. Add all this up and there is more cost and hassle than you would think to changing to hall sensors and keeping cost down.

The other alternative is to buy a hall effect position sensor that comes in a form factor that is like a pot. This allows direct exchange, however these are not cheap, they are many times the cost of a basic pot. Also not available in a linear form like pots used in a lot of yokes.

I can understand why they wanted to avoid them because, although preferred, they take some work getting them successfully incorporated into a design.

Chris

• Like 2

On 6/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, DaveCT2003 said:

I walked away from the FSExpo2019 in Orlando with one, I'll try it out later this week and report back, but I played it with for sometime (given that we had one at our booth) and I loved it!  I also played around with their Prototype Throttle Quadrant and I REALLY loved that!

Best wishes!

Hi Dave. Any progress on the report?

Vic green

55 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

Hi Dave. Any progress on the report?

I finished and published the report my friend!  It should be posted above.

I also have a minor update (more information) to provide, but I have to find some time to get that done.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Okay, I found it.  Published on June 29th (so over a month ago).  It's on page 2 of this thread, just above the middle of the page. Direct link: 

I'll get the additional/new information done as soon as I'm able... but again, the Yoke is absolutely amazing in every regard.

ADDITIONAL INFO - SPECIAL STREAMED EVENT FOR HONEYCOMB YOKE & THROTTLE QUADRANT

Nicki Repenning and I will be hosting a special, live stream event in the weeks to come.  Viewers will be able to ask us questions directly (via voice, so long as everyone is respectful and avoids the use of foul language and the like).  We'll publish the date for the event here in this thread, on other websites, and via the Aerosoft Newsletter.

Dave Hodges

Thank you for the yoke report, Dave. I feel the need to buy one as and when I'm able to :biggrin: I can still use my Thrustmaster HOTAS X for flying Airbuses 😉 

Here's hoping for a similar report on the quadrant in the future.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

I finished and published the report my friend!  It should be posted above.

I also have a minor update (more information) to provide, but I have to find some time to get that done.

My goodness how did I miss that. Thanks Dave. My Birthday is in September. Thought about getting a new suit but I think I'll get much more use from the yoke:)

Vic green

6 minutes ago, PATCO LCH said:

My goodness how did I miss that. Thanks Dave. My Birthday is in September. Thought about getting a new suit but I think I'll get much more use from the yoke:)

No worries my friend, I don't mind at all!

I agree!  I'd go for the Yoke as well!  I'm telling you, I absolutely LOVE IT!  Like 100 times better than anything I've used - it's just such high quality!

Be sure to watch the Aerosoft/Honeycomb Live Stream Event!  We'll be giving you a great look at both products and taking questions!

Dave Hodges