Sign in to follow this  
nickhod

What's Your Deal-breaker?

I will buy it unless:

1. I must be on line to use the sim. I run FSX off line except for maybe 30 sec to download weather for each flight.

2. There is a subscription or monthly charge. I want to buy it outright and use it via a license, as in FSX and all before.

3.It is not compatible with Win 7 64.

Rick

1- this is what they stated it will also be an offline mode. 

2- I remember an article where Phil Spencer said they are aware of the problems with streaming games but he said this is the future and this is a risk they will take.

3- As Google said you will need very acceptable internet speed to play in 720p, and only 35mb/s to run 60fps at 4k. And even at 720p, the latency will be less than the time your brain needs to process the image coming from your eye. So latency is not a problem at all.

My assumption is it will be different ways to fly with online mode, offline mode or something between the 2, depending on your preferences or internet connection.

15 minutes ago, Noooch said:

only 35mb/s to run 60fps at 4k

That's the thing. 35 mb/s may seem not much to people used to it, but it's above average for most regions.

• Upvote 1

JetPhotos | Airliners.net
Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

24 minutes ago, threegreen said:

That's the thing. 35 mb/s may seem not much to people used to it, but it's above average for most regions.

Again, that is at the moment, and for 60fps at 4k and sound 5.1. You can have half this speed and still have a very pleasant experience. I know lot of people don t have stable or limitless internet, but you see my point 🙂 another chance might be 5g wireless networks for those who dont have or wont have fiber anytime soon.

Edited by Noooch

40 minutes ago, Noooch said:

2- I remember an article where Phil Spencer said they are aware of the problems with streaming games but he said this is the future and this is a risk they will take.

Now THAT is frightening 😄!

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

5 hours ago, LHookins said:

Same here, 25 gig per month.  I think people who haven't lived with caps don't understand what kind of limitations they put you under.  For example, not being able to watch YouTube except during a late night free zone.  I mean, not watch At All... only 800 meg per day shared among four people.  Forget about a movie.  I can handle real world weather updates in the sim, that's about it.

Hook

I feel for you Hook. I have unlimited with 100Mbs and at times it still lags depending on how many are on the same node as I.  It will be interesting on the day of release with 10,000 purchasers trying to download MSFS at the same time worldwide to see if the servers can deal with the traffic. I hope so and I hope your situation works for you.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

No dealbreakers for me, have used every version of FS since the beginning and was stunned and very excited to see it resurrected. Like seeing an old friend, can't wait for the release, and definitely hope to participate in the early stages as an insider.

• Like 1

Ken

If the autogen is comically oversized like in FSX and P3D, I won't buy it.

Matthew S

4 hours ago, Noooch said:

1- this is what they stated it will also be an offline mode. 

They didn’t state there would be an offline mode I don’t think. A guardian journo claimed there was, but I don’t think we’ve had anything from the horse’s mouth?

3 hours ago, 188AHC said:

I feel for you Hook. I have unlimited with 100Mbs and at times it still lags depending on how many are on the same node as I.  It will be interesting on the day of release with 10,000 purchasers trying to download MSFS at the same time worldwide to see if the servers can deal with the traffic. I hope so and I hope your situation works for you.

This sort of thing seems to be less of an issue than it once was, in my experience at least. I’ve bought a few games recently on the day of release that will have had a lot more people downloading then than msfs is likely too and it’s been fine. 

6 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Thanks, Rick.

Do you remember what it was like trying to get the latest update?  Lag was pretty bad. 🙂  They may have to release it worldwide one region at a time.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

In the spirit of constructive input, having no idea if it is an issue or not -

The deal breaker for me would be if lack of legacy third party hardware integration prevented me from using my thousands of dollars (not even including the PC and monitors) of hardware I have to simulate a real GA cockpit.

The list of other things I hope Msft improves on is much longer than my arm, but would not be a deal breaker.

12 hours ago, nickhod said:

(For an example of real-time ray tracing, look at the propeller cone of the TBM on the main FS homepage. You'll note that the propeller blades are actually reflected in it, which is only achievable if you ray trace the scene. A normal reflection map would just reflect the sky, ground and buildings).

That can be done in P3Dv4.x without 'ray tracing' at all, although not many developers bother with it because of the fps penalty. "Mirrors" in military aircraft for example can reflect what's actually behind the plane in real time.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

13 hours ago, Wink207 said:

I will buy it unless:

3.It is not compatible with Win 7 64.

Well Rick, you won't be buying it then. It was make clear a month ago that it will require Win10, as it will also require DX12 compatibility.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

8 hours ago, Noooch said:

As Google said you will need very acceptable internet speed to play in 720p, and only 35mb/s to run 60fps at 4k. And even at 720p, the latency will be less than the time your brain needs to process the image coming from your eye. So latency is not a problem at all.

Google's bandwidth requirement was for a FULLY streamed game, rather than just parts of it (as may possibly be the case with the new sim).

As for latency, it isn't dependent on the resolution, it refers to the time taken for a signal to go from a transmitter (server) to a receiver (PC). You can have a very high speed internet connection and still suffer from latency problems - just because you have a 50mbps+ connection, doesn't mean that that's the speed of the data coming from the game server (especially if it's being heavily used).

• Upvote 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit