Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

In-game VS Satellite

6 minutes ago, meerkat said:

This probably won't happen: all runways, taxiways and aprons need highres textures that look good from 1 meter. The orthos at best have a resolution of some 30 cm. So, at least a generic highres runway texture must be blended over as you are approaching. But: to avoid visual inconsistencies the runway markings could not be part of that highres texture - a dilemma. The same is true for the synthetic taxiway lines that were criticised on many screenshots: the otho images show the real markings at a too low resolution.

Btw., if you look at roads or highways in those screenshots, most have no overlay an look quite dull and often hard to recognize. Also the diffuse reflection of sunshine on smooth concrete or asphalt could only be modeled on overlay textures with the appropriate material tags.

Ok..but then is it a possibility to put the overlay textures and all the material tags as a (semi-transparent) layer above the real ortho-textures? Must I assume than that all the existing airports made with custom runway textures or hand made?

How about some shots of Africa. Are there really giraffes?

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 4:52 AM, ckyliu said:

Pretty but far too many trees for coastal Ireland, that does seem to be a recurrent theme amongst the screenshots.The Bing image shows it's more likely scrubland.

Yep. What it's clearly doing is counting those green areas as forests when they are actually fields with scrub brush. Honestly, I don't know how much more accurate they can get it at this point. We may have reached the limits of current technology.

11 hours ago, Shack95 said:

Abaco Islands, Bahamas

c6jr1SB.jpgBuesIlD.jpg

Just a note on this, but most are probably noticing the Caribbean corral water color is not there. All these shots are user made in 1.5 alpha. We know from the release trailer that they have added tropical water masks in whatever in house version they have.

Can someone post pics about how the Netherlands looks like? Eindhoven area or Schiphol would be great, you made my weekend!

24 minutes ago, Roeland91 said:

Can someone post pics about how the Netherlands looks like? Eindhoven area or Schiphol would be great, you made my weekend!

Here's one from about a month ago. Shows the town of Naarden, just east of Amsterdam. If you compare it to the Bing satellite imagery of the same area , you get a good idea about the procedural autogen accuracy for areas with good Bing coverage. Note the shape of buildings, especially.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Screenshot-20

What a shame this thread has gone "dead". I have still seen lots of screenshots in the developer updates, that I would like to know where is, so I can fly there when the sim is out. So if anybody (Shack95?) can name some more places.that would be great.  After each update, this thread was always the first one I checked out to see which areas/ places had been recognized.

• Like 2

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

1 hour ago, jlund said:

What a shame this thread has gone "dead". I have still seen lots of screenshots in the developer updates, that I would like to know where is, so I can fly there when the sim is out. So if anybody (Shack95?) can name some more places.that would be great.  After each update, this thread was always the first one I checked out to see which areas/ places had been recognized.

I think it may be because there's just so many released now it's a bit overwhelming. Feel free to post which you want identified and maybe some others can contribute as well. I'm happy to do some searching. 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:43 AM, dobee51 said:

How about some shots of Africa. Are there really giraffes?

Im interested too.  Would love to fly a small plane around the Serengeti and see what all animals Asobo has rendered into the sim.  Maybe even see if the Four Seasons hotel is rendered there from AI.  Bing maps has some good high res satellite imagery of Africa, especially of the Sahara desert. 

Edited by Heli

So I've been following this great guy and his channel https://www.youtube.com/c/MissionarybushPilot. He flies to various locations in Papua new guinea. Many of the airstrips are in very remote locations. Do you guys think that even more remote/obscure airstrips will be in msfs? 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

On 7/15/2020 at 11:11 AM, ckyliu said:

Any ideas where this is @Shack95? Or anyone else?

4cTRdn1.png

Swiftcurrent Lake (Glacier National Park), Montana, USA.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bernard

Well I guess I know where I'm going when I get MFS now, thanks Viz!

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I believe @Shack95 also received an invitation into the Alpha towards the end and the Beta. So he has been flying in the simulator, to help with issues. So he is busy with that now, and he wasn't before. He might also be afraid to post incase something slips that he knows as he is under NDA now. I have no clue, just guessing! He and others kept this area rocking and rolling, and we thank them. August 18, 2020, we get to find out ourselves 🙂 He also stated it was kind of a hobby of his, so we might see him post after release, asking us if we know where he took a screenshot?

Kind of like "Where's Waldo", except this will be "Where's Shack95" 🙂 After it is released that is.

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

13 hours ago, Xtremekh said:

Feel free to post which you want identified and maybe some others can contribute as well. I'm happy to do some searching. 

Thanks a lot for the offer, here's a few to get you started 🙂

MSFS_7_15_2020_BL5-1.jpgScreenshot-508.pngimage-10.jpgDesert-16-scaled.jpgCoast-6-scaled.jpg

• Like 1

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11