Sign in to follow this  
Steve_Ellis

Flybe Collapsed

You can probably also count tran-states here in the usa as another airline to fall to coronavirus. they had already been struggling to fulfill obligations and during the  restructuring and consolidations announced by ual last week due to coronavirus, they were to be wound down by the end of the year.

Well that's not good. I lost my job with Aviator last year when Thomas Cook went under, so I went to work at Menzies Aviation, and guess which airline they do? Yup, that'd be FlyBe. Gonna be a fun day at work tomorrow I imagine.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

:ohmy: bugger! All the best Al !

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

They've been struggling for some time based on a slew of poor management decisions ever since Jim French stepped down from the helm. Virgin and Delta clearly have no confidence in its viability as it currently stands, so are letting it fold.

Flybe is currently Europe's largest regional airline, so hopefully other airlines (Easy, Loganair, Eastern, among others) will rush to step-in and take on the profitable flying bits that are about to become available.

Fingers crossed for good news for crews, ground staff and @Chock over the next few weeks.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

@Chock

Always enjoy reading your posts. Hope all is going to be well for you.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If those news hold true, It would be a shame not to be able to look again at those beautiful liveries on their Q400's, ATR's, etc.

Good luck to those who may be affected.

Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

As far as I'm aware, and have been since the middle of last year, it was always on the cards that FlyBe was folding and was going to turn into Virgin Connect, so it could be used for providing a regional feeder service for Virgin's mainline international flights.

Since Virgin are one of the owners of FlyBe, I suspect they were basically holding out for a cash injection from the Government (since why spend your own money) and it was looking like, in light of the slamming the Govt got for not bailing out Thomas Cook, that they might get the cash injection they were hoping for by painting FlyBe's troubles as Thomas Cook mark 2, at which point the owners would fold the airline anyway and then hey presto Virgin Connect courtesy of a nice windfall from Mister and Mrs UK taxpayer, with the bonus of a nicely timed excuse of 'it's the result of the coronavirus', to blame on it folding and running off with the cash, which it clearly is not. Guess they'll have to do it without the windfall from us lot now! Similar thing happened with Thomas Cook, they are being investigated because apparently a couple of hundred million quid has gone 'missing'. See? All this stuff is never quite as simple as it seems lol.

The problem for us at Menzies Aviation is that we lose the contract for Air France and KLM at the end of this month, and now with losing FlyBe too, that leaves us with only the IAG airlines we have contracts for, so basically British Airways, Aer Lingus, Icelandair and Loganair, which is not enough work for all the staff at Manchester, so I'm guessing some people will get the push, but ever was it so with work in aviation, although there is a rumour flying around that we're going to end up with Ryanair. It's volatile, so you  end up with a different badge on your work outfit every once in a while lol, although having said that, personally I don't work on many FlyBe flights, I mostly do the IAG ones, so I'm perhaps not as at risk as some.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Alan,

You have my best wishes for retention of your employment and a very rosy future. I really hope it all works out for you.

Regards

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

It's the FlyBe staff I feel sorry for, they not only have to worry about getting a job, but also have to be helpful to customers when I'm sure they really don't feel quite in the mood to put on a smiling face whilst doing that.

On the plus side for me, it does mean there's far less possibility that I'll have to work on Embraer 170-190s, which can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned lol. Sadly, BA City Flyer also use them, so I'm not out of the woods completely. 🤣

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Not good for N. Ireland's Belfast City airport either. Flybe accounts for around 80 percent of flights leaving out.

Sorry to hear that, Chock. Ryanair? Urghhhh. Still, if it puts bread on the table.

Funny how, in the sim-world, Ryanair and Easyjet are more popular than they are in Real-life, but then again, it's all about planes in the sim, not customer-service.

Edited by Jude Bradley
  • Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

8 hours ago, Chock said:

On the plus side for me, it does mean there's far less possibility that I'll have to work on Embraer 170-190s

You've mentioned that before. I'm intrigued - if you could share your reasons some time; I always enjoy your practical insights.

Petraeus

You bet flybe have collapsed. And I'm here in Guernsey with no way home!!!

Was due to fly back on Saturday.

Am currently trying to come up with a solution.