Sign in to follow this  
Concodroid

Why do you think flight simulator is a "game"?

To me the only difference between playing Doom: Eternal and a flight simulator is that in flight simulators there's an extra enjoyment factor in how I feel like I'm learning something applicable to real world. So they are games but with a bit of an educational twist.

Edited by Kopteeni
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GlideBy said:

We already know there is a landing challenge where people try to out score each other.

Which is why I didn't give absolutes but I think on a fundamental level that is the difference. FSX had missions but that isn't what it was really about was it? What it really was was a simulated world to fly aircraft in. Of course you can do that anyway you want for any reason you want. That is what is beautiful about it. But simulators are ultimately a tool and games are ultimately entertainment. It's just that to me flight sim is both.

I hope your brother makes a full recovery by the way.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

3 minutes ago, Jazz said:

It's just that to me flight sim is both.

I agree, there is no reason it can't be both.  Thanks for the comment about my brother.

When I was young I used to say, "It's not a game, it's a simulator!"  As I got older, I discovered that it didn't matter.  Besides, there's nothing wrong with playing games.  Lots of people make a good living creating games.  It's better than watching TV, and it keeps your mind working.

A less controversial example might be the business simulator Capitalism Lab and its predecessors.  It's a serious simulation of business, but it's obviously a game.  It's serious enough that Harvard and Yale used to have annual competitions with it.  It's also fun, although not as fun as real business. 😄  A lot less stressful, too.

I play a few obvious games, but I tend toward those where I'm learning something at the same time.  I can't fly real aircraft, so I fly the sim.

Another example from long long ago is a game for the Apple II, Three Mile Island, a simulation of a nuclear power plant.  I was watching a demo in a store (yes games used to be sold in actual brick and mortar stores) when a guy came up obviously enthusiastic about what we were seeing. It turns out he was a nuclear power technician on an aircraft carrier, and was interested in how close the game was to the real thing.  "This one part isn't how we do it but it's probably how it's done on a land based installation."

A more recent example is the Steel Beasts tank simulator.  It's good enough that it's used by several countries for real world training, but it's also a really good game.  Good enough that the soldiers play it on their own time, and as close to reality as I ever care to get again.  I was a tank crewman in the US Army and had some input to the sim.

Just be glad that our flight sims are getting better and better.  And as the decades pass, they'll get better yet.

Hook

Edited by LHookins
  • Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Usually when we think of a game, it has its winners, and it has its losers.  I guess with flight sim, when you land safely with no significant damage to the aircraft, you are a Winner.   When you crash, are you a Loser? 

With that in mind, excluding air races or stunts, I seriously doubt real world pilots think flying is a game...  

• Like 1

Because you don't die when you screw up! Mike Gutierrez, North Hollywood, California

Michael Gutierrez. North Hollywood, California

What an awkward thread starter...its not that serious folks

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

28 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

What an awkward thread starter...its not that serious folks

The OP has "sarcasm" as part of the avtar. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You can't log the flight time - that's why.

David Porrett

1 hour ago, overspeed3 said:

I seriously doubt real world pilots think flying is a game... 

When I flew, I thought it was the coolest game ever.  Of course you are watching for traffic, holding heading and altitude, listening to the radio, thinking of your next waypoint.  But still having an awesome time.  I guess some people like to drive cars, some don't.  Driving a car was sometimes a game to me, and very enjoyable as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

Usually when we think of a game, it has its winners, and it has its losers.  I guess with flight sim, when you land safely with no significant damage to the aircraft, you are a Winner.   When you crash, are you a Loser? 

With that in mind, excluding air races or stunts, I seriously doubt real world pilots think flying is a game...  

Farmers wouldn’t think their job is a game either, yet there you have Farming Simulator...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlideBy said:

When I flew, I thought it was the coolest game ever.  Of course you are watching for traffic, holding heading and altitude, listening to the radio, thinking of your next waypoint.  But still having an awesome time.  I guess some people like to drive cars, some don't.  Driving a car was sometimes a game to me, and very enjoyable as well.

Awesomely well put!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2