Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

Just get a new Xbox when it arrives and play MSFS on it instead...!

Much cheaper!!!

• Like 1

Chris Camp

I am thoroughly a PC Gamer but I will not look down on anyone coming from the Xbox it is a much lower barrier of entry.

• Like 1

"It looks like the cheapest custom GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card is going to cost around $1855, while the cheapest custom GeForce RTX 3080 will cost around $900. This is without taxes in the US so those prices might be a little higher depending on where you live."

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/75059/so-custom-geforce-rtx-3090-cards-could-cost-upwards-of-2000/index.html

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Yeah pricing will be heavily dependent on where you live.  For the US supposedly it will start at $500; $700 and $1500 respectively.  Which honestly is how much the last gen cost and the performance gains are substantial so overall as a gaming card if you have a 10 series card or older it may be a worthwhile upgrade.

Just checked to cost of graphics cards here in Australia and while nothing on the 3000 series yet the 2080ti is now going for half what it was just before the 3000 series announcement.  Very different from when the 2000 series came out when the 1080ti even went up a tad before quickly selling out!

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

Just checked to cost of graphics cards here in Australia and while nothing on the 3000 series yet the 2080ti is now going for half what it was just before the 3000 series announcement.  Very different from when the 2000 series came out when the 1080ti even went up a tad before quickly selling out!

Bruceb

Yeah when the 20 series launched the performance was only very very slightly better then previous generation cards (in the same name bracket so 1070 vs 2070; 2080 vs 1080 Ti etc) and they all saw a price increase.  It was hard to sell things on a technology no games used at the time as well.  Which is why we got the Super edition cards to begin with. They painted themselves into a corner launching with both the standard and Ti lines and they couldn't just admit the overpriced the cards.  So the supers came out which offered better performance and lower prices which made them more palatable.  But a lot of people on Pascal had little incentive to upgrade.  Now this generation comes along and you see performance increases where a $500 card out performs or performs as well as the previous generations $1200 card.  Who is going to buy that $1200 card now?  So the prices dropped and dropped like a tank because there is no market.  There is almost no reason to buy a 2080 Ti over the 3070.  The only thing you gain is more video memory but if you need that the premium pricing is better off going to the 3080 or 30390 or waiting for the inevitable Ti editions to release.

11 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’m on a 2080ti currently with 3840x1600 and 32Gb RaM with i9900KS 5GhZ water cooled. 
I can get super smooth on ultra as long as I reduce the LOD to 100. As soon as I move the slider to 200, I get stutters. 

PS I assume this is because I become cpu limited, as mainthread flashes Up for a split second when the stutter happens....... so, even if I dump a 3090 in, I assume I’ll still have the same problem right?

I have nearly the same setup with a 9700K for a CPU but I’m at true 4K (3840x2160) on ultra settings. And I don’t get any stutters.

But I also don’t run any live stuff.

My GPU is maxed at 97-99% and my CPU is rarely over 60%  

I get 40-50fps in a Caravan which is good enough. I’m hoping the 3080 will get me enough headroom to add all the live weather and traffic while running 4K at 60fps. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Big news coming from House Red:

- New Zen 3 CPU's to be announced on 10/08

- New AMD RX 6000 GPU's to be announced on 10/28

Exciting times ahead!

MSFS. Hardware: AMD 5600X @4.0Ghz, Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT AIO, MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge WiFi mobo, RTX 3080ti 12GB FE GPU , G.Skill TridentZ Royal 32GB (2x16) DDR4-3600 RAM CL16, PNY XLR8 3030 1 TB SSD (OS + SIM), Crucial P5 1TB M.2 pcie-3 NVMe SSD (data) . Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum PSU, NZXT H200i Mini ITX Tower.  38" LG UltraGear  38GN950-B display. 4x QL120 fans

I'm tempted to go AMD for graphics too, if it offers 16gb vram and performance between a 3080 and a 3070 at a lower price than a 3080 I might pull the trigger, I have no brand loyalty, only price/performance loyalty.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

ok first real Benchmark tests will come next Monday, you can read here

its a german site, but translator works quite ok, they will test this GPU's:

• Geforce RTX 3080
  • Geforce RTX 2080 Ti
  • Geforce RTX 2080
  • Geforce GTX 1080 Ti
  • Geforce GTX 1080
  • Radeon RX 5700 XT

with this games:

• Borderlands 3 (Unreal Engine 4)
  • Control (Northlight Engine)
  • Doom Eternal (id Tech 7)
  • Flight Simulator (Asobo Engine)
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (Decima Engine)
  • Hunt Showdown (Cry Engine)
  • Metro Exodus (4A Engine)
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (RAGE)
  • The Witcher 3 (Red Engine)
  • Wolfenstein Youngblood (id Tech 6)

Tested DLSS / Raytracing games

• Control (Northlight Engine)
  • Metro Exodus (4A Engine)
  • Minecraft RTX (Render Dragon Engine)
  • Wolfenstein Youngblood (id Tech 6)

cu

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bean_sprout said:

Make sure to watch the end of the video or you won't get the point of the video,  The other plus of OLED is power consumption because unlit (black) pixels are turned off.  Also less heat.   As you would expect black level / contrast is fantastic like my old 21" NEC CRT. 

I owned an OLED and will buy another.

OLED is defenately the future. What I dislike in the video is the fact that altough its an QLED, the screen has really bad colors, TFTs can have 100% color accuracy. Second, the OLED in the video is much sharper than the QLED, but it depends, if a TFT screen has a glossy panel, it will have the same sharpness.

VA TFT Panel can also have good black level, so this is not a good video for comparing OLED and TFT. Some OLEDs used to freeze, so giving the prize point it could be risky to buy an OLED. It is the better technology, but to be honest, I have never seen a difference between an OLED and a very good TFT. 8K on 50 inch is senseless, except one is sitting 1 inch away from a 50" screen.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/hold-your-breath-geforce-rtx-3080-might-become-hard-to-get-cryptocurrency-miners-again.html

No good news: 2-3 times better performance in crypto mining than a 2080Ti. Prices might increase like they did in 2018. Also 500$ is already very much for a good gfx card. The power consumption is a shame.

Edited by BigDee

On 9/1/2020 at 12:45 PM, regis9 said:

I bought my 2080ti only a few months ago, fully aware that the 3000 series cards might be this impressive.  But hey, with Covid and all and how it impacted me i was in need of some sort of pick me up and the 2080ti was it.

The good news is I won’t have as much drive to rush into a purchase as i would if I was still using my Gtx1070...I can let everything settle out and decide if/what/when I upgrade to a 3000 series card.

Same here. I built a new system and was thinking to use my old 1070 until the new cards dropped, but decided to get a 2080 super. I figure if its like other launches the cards will vanish from the shelves as fast as they come out, and prices will be $200 to $300 over retail for a few months. I also want to see what the AMD card has, and hopefully will drive prices down further.

My 2080 super is running MSFS just fine, and should handle Cyber Punk 2077 too, so I won't be doing any upgrading for probably 6 months or more.

Here is a nice review of the 980TI compared with the newer models:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2088-geforce-2080ti-vs-1080ti-vs-980ti/

Altough not designed for it, the 980Ti can still handle 4K in many games at 30 frames. Some people are laughing at 2080TI users as the 3070 appears to cost half the price of the 2080Ti, but thats the usual evolution of newer graphics models. 

While the 2080Ti cannot be sold now for much money, the value will be there for quite some years.

Personally I will jump in when the mid models, like the 3060 Ti will cost around 300$, 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, pvupilot said:

I just recently got myself a 1080ti and don't think I'll be upgrading. Only have a 1080p monitor and a second 720. I'd need a whole new case and PSU, which is well above the worth of it in my opinion. 

The flightsim runs so smooth on 1080ti, i have no need for graphics upgrade the next 2 years.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BigDee said:

Some people are laughing at 2080TI users as the 3070 appears to cost half the price of the 2080Ti, but thats the usual evolution of newer graphics models. 

sure the same people will laughing at 3090 users in two years 😂

but they had a good ride the last two years.

• Like 1