Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

3 minutes ago, Bottle said:

I have no bets in this race, so you might be right. But he's not the only one to report the rumours that numbers of cards will be low, especially the 3090.

There seems to be only one source of this rumour which keeps getting reproduced around. The fact there will be no pre-orders available could be giving this some credibility, but it's still hard to believe it considering that Samsung 10nm is a very mature node and that NVIDIA have been working with it for potentially more than 16 months. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd still recommend avoiding that channel though. So many false rumours that he immediately corrects in future videos as the reputable leakers come with more reliable information. He insisted on SMT4 Zen 3 for quite long, and then we've got 2.3GHz Ampere with USB-C, 4x RTX performance, DLSS 3.0, NVCache, Tensor Compression and so much more...

i will wait some months until we have enough benchmarks in order to see if its worth to have a RTX 3000 series with 4 K in this simulator. As far as I know, there have been many issues with the way the game is programmed not using the full potential of CPU usage. So we can have

the best graphic card out there but the bottleneck coming from the CPU..

On 9/7/2020 at 7:44 PM, HiFlyer said:

When watching the video, I never felt all that convinced by what he was saying.

Actually I am quite reluctant to watch a video of someone talking about Nvidia cards with an AMD t-shirt on. Don´t know...I wouldn´t watch a video of a BMW review done by someone with a Toyota t- shirt-on and with a "Breaking the BMW hype before Toyota..." in the title of the video.

The cards shortage is not uncommon on every nvidia release, had to wait a couple of months until my 2080ti was ready (not a founders edition).

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by chass32

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

Well at 1080p, my 1080ti is pretty bored with all GPU features maxed out and a render scale of 170 (effectively a 3,3K res). It's at 60% load during flight. I think a 2080(ti) should be able to achieve the same in 4K (of course at render res 100%). So to answer the original question, no, no 3080 is required for 4K.

If anything, MSFS needs CPU power, so a 10700K system would be the better investment.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Heavily CPU bound? I have a 10900K with a GTX 1080, and it says I'm limited by GPU. If you run the sim at 4K and up then it would make more sense that the bottleneck is the GPU. CPU bound is for users running at lower resolutions, such as 1440p and under.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Like many games there is a give and take to a lot of this...you are usually either CPU bound or you are GPU bound most of the time.  And depending on your settings they swap places.  Run a game at 1080p on medium and you will likely be CPU bound.  If you run a game at ultra at 4K you will likely be GPU bound in the same game on the same PC.  So it depends on how you configure and run your game.  But you are correct if you are running at 1080p and medium or high settings on like a Ryzen 3600 the 3080 or 3090 may not provide any relief at least in regards to Flight SImulator.

Why do you say it's CPU heavy? My R5 3600 which is literally the entry level Zen 2 sits all the time at 40-55% except when time compressing at maximum speed, where it goes to 90% sometimes.(1440 high and ultra settings) 

I wouldn't know if a 3070 or 3080 will be enough to solve every problem given the little vram more taht they have compared to a 1070...

• Upvote 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Seeing that the RTX 2080 Ti can be fully maxed out in some scenarios at 4K resolution, I think it's safe to say that the RTX 3080 could provide at least some benefit, but the RTX 3090 is likely not worth it right now. However, keep in mind that:

• The September patch is coming with some CPU optimisations.
  • The DirectX 12 update could heavily reduce CPU bottlenecks.
  • Future graphics options could make the game more GPU-heavy.

If you are looking to make expensive hardware upgrades to accommodate the simulator's needs, I would suggest taking these points into account when upgrading, or trying to hold off as much possible. Besides, next month we are getting Zen 3 with stronger IPC than Comet Lake, and over the next few months we will be getting several new Ampere (possibly on a better node as well) and RDNA 2 GPUs which could drive prices down further.

• Like 2

that article explains why I never experience stutters - my 1070 is preventing any of my 3900x cores becoming maxed out - so although I can get low 20's/high teens in NYC, I never get stutters.

I'm still buying a RTX 3090 though

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Looking at overall average CPU throughput across all cores is not a good way to assess CPU vs GPU. If we have one core at 100% and the remaining 9 cores near zero we wont see 100%. If one core is at 100% then the demand may be higher and that is throttling the task.

Use task manager CPU graphs to quickly see if any cores are at 100%. If there are any at 100% then the sim is CPU bound irrespective of the readout from the developer mode fps monitor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

7 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Looking at overall average CPU throughput across all cores is not a good way to assess CPU vs GPU. If we have one core at 100% and the remaining 9 cores near zero we wont see 100%. If one core is at 100% then the demand may be higher and that is throttling the task.

Use task manager CPU graphs to quickly see if any cores are at 100%. If there are any at 100% then the sim is CPU bound irrespective of the readout from the developer mode fps monitor.

SteveW - as a developer then, how long do you think we will have to wait until MSFS switches to DX12?

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

6 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

SteveW - as a developer then, how long do you think we will have to wait until MSFS switches to DX12?

I can't say, and also I can't say if this will break down tasks across more cores. It is on the agenda and hopefully it will enable better use of the available cores.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Even though I am on 1920x1080 and still going for a 10900k at 5, 32RAM and a 3080. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I'm going for the 3090 mainly because of the 24GB of VRAM and since I fly at 4K Ultra, it will surely help me get there.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU