Sign in to follow this  
SierraDelta

AIG AI Manager OCI for MSFS – Development Announcement

2 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Thanks for the clear answer that AIG is ruling out an incremental, "less than perfect" approach to releasing for MSFS. IMHO, if AIG's approach remains that the platform has to be both a) stable and b) feature complete before you'll even really commit to the project (let alone release), you're going to miss the boat in MSFS. It's as simple as that. That would be a real loss for everyone, and I really hope you guys will reconsider.

I never said "feature complete", because I now MSFS will never be completet on this front... But as long as the initial release AI system of MSFS is unable to handle the AI it makes more or less no sence, because I know that nearly all support requests will end up on my desk but are in the repsonsibility of ASOBO. The plan was to release the open Beta of OCI within Q4 of this year, when we had a decend amount of glTF stuff and made the adjustments to the MDLX stuff to work (textures and FDE), but with the SU5 update this plan was killed. The idea was to bring sme presure on MS/ASOBO to get AI improvements.

5 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Even his current release is missing what some might see as essential features. But look at how many downloads he's gotten. The fact that it's not yet able to do everything he wants obviously hasn't hurt its popularity!

Yes, we had this idea as well, but decided against it because of simple reasons:

1) We have no actual timeframe for some stuff (like premissions)

2) Based on what should we decide what to include? Models, only Airlines with all models already glTF? Eitherway the result would be far less from what users would like to have.

3) OCI is build on the decission to have one source for the installation for both Simulators. So basically we either had to rework most of our tools (and change them later again) or provide the user with 90% of airlines that could be installed but without any SimObject (endless support request incomming). Hendrik is providing a package while AIG is providing an downloader/installer.

As a user and a developer I was never a big fan of "early access". As a user you never know if the product will reach the end and as a developer you always have some users asking when it is ready, when the next feature is added, I have better things to do then to anwer these kind of questions.

15 minutes ago, honanhal said:

My point is that, in the current flightsim ecosystem, AIG has built what amounts to an IP monopoly on the combination of ingredients you need to produce a comprehensive AI package. No other group is going to be in a position to do that legally in the space of the next few years. What that means is that when it comes to offline AI in MSFS, it's really either you guys or no one, which is why I'm frankly heartbroken that "no one" seems more likely all the time.

I get that, freeware AI was always a small group of users and even a smaller ground of developers and at some point they decided to work together for the benefit of all. The issue now is that MS/ASOBO has intoduced a new "player" and is not providing the nesscery stability we need to finish the process of transition. Belive me, if we could we would have released OCI asap, all of our testers are reporting how great it is and how sad they are it is no longer working after SU5. At the moment only a few users within AIG are actual having AI installed at all, because of the fear of CTDs on the fly.

• Like 7

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

kaiii3, some users like me, would like to know how to convert MDLX model to GLTF. 

the rest is easy.

is there a way?

like this, even if asobo doesnt want to make us happy, we would just do it ourselves.

thank you

Kai said on the AIG discord that MDL model crash only seems to happen on the MS Store version of the sim, the Steam version doesn't crash.

So I wonder if it's connected to the MS Store's core files (the EXE and such) being behind a ton of security.

Edited by Tuskin38

Kai just a thought but worth the post in my opinion.

With all the hard work you are all putting into OCI and the AI for MSFS why not introduce a donationware product with a starting minimum of $5, when this eventually gets released. It will not only give you some dough for your hard work, but most importantly help keep the AIG servers up and running which I am sure is quite expensive as is.

As I said - its just a thought, but I think it would bring great encouragement to both the community and dev team etc to continue to provide a top notch service that is AIG.

@abranpukoThere is no "easy" way to convert, you need the premission form the original developer, special tools (not poublic) or the original source file of the model.

@shamrockflyer the issues in the Sim will prevent any release at the moment, even as public beta/alpha.

@Kaiii3 This really is terrible news but I fully understand your logic and reasoning. Releasing a half baked product would only lead to issues and problems for you guys.

Its such a shame after all Jorgs talk talk talk nothing has come to fruition. My fingers are crossed something might change in SU6 or SU7.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

As long as we cannot have AI traffic that is at least as "good" as it is in P3D, MSFS is far away from my needs.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

14 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

So I wonder if it's connected to the MS Store's core files (the EXE and such) being behind a ton of security.

I remember debating whether to buy through the MS Store or Steam, ultimately went with Steam and it does seem every once and a while something pops up to support that decision.

• Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

3 hours ago, regis9 said:

I remember debating whether to buy through the MS Store or Steam, ultimately went with Steam and it does seem every once and a while something pops up to support that decision.

Just never run a Verify Integrity of Game Files unless you want to do a complete full reinstall. Other than that Steam is the better choice.

• Like 2

James

2 hours ago, Phantoms said:

Just never run a Verify Integrity of Game Files unless you want to do a complete full reinstall. Other than that Steam is the better choice.

Just move/rename your installation folder (the one holding community/official folders) before doing it and it won't wipe it because it can't find it lol. It will just look the core files then (the exe and such)

Edited by Tuskin38

There will be an update on the planed public beta of OCI in the next days 🙂

• Like 29
  • Upvote 2

Finally! This is excellent news! I truly miss having some real AI traffic! I cannot wait to do some plane spotting all around the world at some of my favorite airports!

• Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU