Sign in to follow this  
Sabinede

A game or a simulation?

It's a Gamulation (tm)....

G

• Like 2

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

A game or a simulation? Ask your wife or girlfriend, and she will tell you the truth in no time!!! 😁😁😁

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

.....and around and around we go :rolleyes:

Yup, avsim armchair aviation at its finest. 

• Upvote 2

Hopefully it can/will do both.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Pointless argument...  every game is a simulation of something at a very high level and any software that only costs $60 can never be a true full simulation.   So it's either both or  neither depending on if your cup is half full or half empty.

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Upvote 2

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

Quickest way to trigger Avsim

Call it a video game and watch the tears flow😭

• Upvote 3

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Once again beating a dead horse!  Simulate whatever you want, call it whatever you want! BUT! Can't log it ( real pilot log book) - not a sim! LOL

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

4 hours ago, Gazzareth said:

Full Nav data is also available

If you are referring to Navigraph the data is not the equal of the navdata in the Garmin Trainers in previous sims.  That Garmin navdata is used by the Reality XP GPS models.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

If you are referring to Navigraph the data is not the equal of the navdata in the Garmin Trainers in previous sims.  That Garmin navdata is used by the Reality XP GPS models.

You are quite correct, it's not a year out of date for a start.

All in all it depends what you are after, Navigraph allows you to run the same Navdata on all your planning, ATC, EFB and FMS systems, plus actual charts as well - that's a big plus for me. As much as I like the GTN it doesn't always cut it due to the data mis-match between that and everything else.... 

G

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

All in all it depends what you are after

Agree.  However if flying a 172, 182, M201, A36, B58, etc. (as opposed to a high performance turbo or jet) and planning an approach for either of these, KSUS ILS26L from the West -or- KBUF ILS 32 from the West, Garmin offers you a transition to a hold at the respective IAFs at EAVES (KSUS) and ELMMA (KBUF).  At least for MSFS my Navigraph does not include those, offering only the hi-perf transitions, such as to GENESEO for KBUF ILS 32.  35 nm to the East!  Or to TOY or STL for the KSUS approach.  And in MSFS I have not found a way to configure a hold at a waypoint.  Not a problem with the Garmins in FSX/P3D/XP.

image.png.89e02565c2493ff2b3f78e9fe3fd036b.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

It's a game that simulates flight 🙂

• Like 1

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

3 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Agree.  However if flying a 172, 182, M201, A36, B58, etc. (as opposed to a high performance turbo or jet) and planning an approach for either of these, KSUS ILS26L from the West -or- KBUF ILS 32 from the West, Garmin offers you a transition to a hold at the respective IAFs at EAVES (KSUS) and ELMMA (KBUF).  At least for MSFS my Navigraph does not include those, offering only the hi-perf transitions, such as to GENESEO for KBUF ILS 32.  35 nm to the East!  And in MSFS I have not found a way to configure a hold at a waypoint.  Not a problem with the Garmins in FSX/P3D/XP.

image.png.89e02565c2493ff2b3f78e9fe3fd036b.png

I wonder if they're not in because of Navigraph or FS isn't capable? Do you know if they're in anything for p3d?

Or does FMS only get Hi Performance routes, obviously GTN more used in slower aircraft....?

G

10 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Let us compromise, and agree that it is a Gameulation.

10 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

Let us compromise, and agree that it is a Gameulation.

Oh I do also refer to it as a sim. Just needs some significant SDK avenues into the right aspectsd to be in the ballpark with previous sims, other than for eye candy.  I enjoy the sightseeing, especially over areas I have never traveled to IRL.  And also enjoy flying over past haunts, particularly those that have been further enhanced by creative contributors.  Catalina and Big Bear, Calif come to mind, as well as the series of bridges that have been done in the Philadelphia and NYC areas.  Those as examples. But as I fly my fantasy sports-charter circuit based on real time sporting events my flights average just over 2 hours and often into IMC conditions.  When I don't want to worry about avionics locking up and/or will not see much of the scenery due to wx conditions I am logging those hours in FSX SE with the MIlviz 310, Milviz Baron B55, or RA TDv2, all equipped with RXP avionics.  And I am able to keep my navdata as up to date as practically needed for the airports and approaches I fly.  I do by the way own a ton of Megascenery Earth and at 6,000 to 24,000 feet it looks quite good.  Most of the airports I fly in to are addons that are quite nice.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
ASUS