Sign in to follow this  
BEARlyThereCDN

Decisions, Decisions.

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

It is just not the same for everyone, so this one-size-fits-all does not resonate well.  Especially when a mere matter-of-fact post is responded to in such manners.  Please revisit my first post in this topic.

https://flightsim.to/file/13440/kesn-easton

There are lots of airports that the ai didn't capture and it's left blank but why let that stop you? It took me 2 minutes to to find this freeware. It's not much but it's a better option. I have lots of these little small airports 

4 hours ago, Janov said:

Come to think of it - there is NOTHING but better visuals that MSFS has on X-Plane, really.

He said to the blind man, "Come to think of it, there is NOTHING but seeing everything that sighted people have on blind people, really...."   

This is really the crux of the problem when you compare decades old FSX/P3D/XP to less than one year old MSFS by reducing the entire environment in MSFS to "visuals".   Gee, let's see let's trade in the vastly superior immersive real world from atmosphere, lighting, shadowing, coloration on down to fine detail on the ground and wind-driven whitecaps in water, for let's see.... VTOL aircraft (coming I'm sure), oh, let's not forget landing on aircraft carriers (coming I'm sure) and all of the rest.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

And he is a so called "real world Pilot" defending his game. Just a lame duck you ask me. No real world pilots on the streams bash MSFS like this dude does. So.

I have known  a few  real world pilots, that I wouldn't trust to walk my dog. There  are so many real career pilots now flying MSFS 2020, and making very positive comments and videos  about it. These pilots  wouldn't waste their time trolling a forum about a sim they don't even own. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, Noel said:

He said to the blind man, "Come to think of it, there is NOTHING but seeing everything that sighted people have on blind people, really...."   

This is really the crux of the problem when you compare decades old FSX/P3D/XP to less than one year old MSFS by reducing the entire environment in MSFS to "visuals".   Gee, let's see let's trade in the vastly superior immersive real world from atmosphere, lighting, shadowing, coloration on down to fine detail on the ground and wind-driven whitecaps in water, for let's see.... VTOL aircraft (coming I'm sure), oh, let's not forget landing on aircraft carriers (coming I'm sure) and all of the rest.    

And one more thing, unlike XP, MSFS doesn't have haze everywhere you look. 

• Like 3

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have MSFS and XP11 on my system and enjoy both in equal measure. MSFS for me excels at low and slow GA because of the visuals. I hop into XP11 for a Zibo B738 fix as that is just a fantastic freeware 738.

Im not a fanboi of either platform. To me they both bring their relevant strengths to the table. When up at FL390 visuals dont really matter and the only time I notice of course is on the taxi/takeoff/climb/short finals/landing/taxi stages of the flight. 

In fact not until too long ago I had 4 aviation games on my system, I uninstalled two of them - FSX & DCS.

If you have the space and still enjoy FSX then keep it. Just dont spend any more on it. Keep it as is. One thing I'll recommend is to put MSFS on its own dedicated drive. I've put mine on a 2TB but will likely get a 4 or 8TB as it grows. I think the Community folder is gonna go ballistic lol. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

And one more thing, unlike XP, MSFS doesn't have haze everywhere you look. 

That was the first thing that caught my eye last year when I gave the XP what what trial a go some months before the MSFS release. Just used it to kill time, just retired and COVID started.

I even gave P3D a shot .. hahaha. When MSFS 2020 came along just a week later I wiped them both.

• Like 1

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

6 hours ago, BEARlyThereCDN said:

I haven't fired up FSX since the beginning of the pandemic but I do find myself flying my TBM 930 nearly every day in MSFS 2020.

There's an old saying about whether to throw something away: "If you haven't used it in 90 days, discard it."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

5 hours ago, 177B said:

I had well over $1,000.00 of X-plane addons and lots of freeware as well. Lots of customized instrument panels in AirManager. And a few Arduino custom built autopilot and other controls for X-plane.

Well about 2 months ago I launched XP for the first time in a few months, and after about 5 minutes decided it was history.

I have 3 SSD's one M.2. And I had over 2 TB of X-plane extras.

Now I have tons of space and FS2020 seems faster than ever, especially loading. Maybe due to recent updates.

I may go back and try X-plane again if they really update it, but I doubt it.

I now have all my custom built Arduino and LeoBodnar stuff running perfectly in FS2020. So for me it was a no brainer to dump old out dated sim stuff.

This keeps things simpler. And it is easier to only have to deal with one set of idiosyncrasies. 

Over the years I have used just about every sim available starting in the 80's, actually in the 70's with a TI99-4A, I think it was.

I tend to always just stay with the best available at the time. So for me this was an easy decision. 

Here is a video of a friend of mine who is a pilot flying around his home airport in Florida a few days ago, he is planning on setting up his own system now.

What pop-out panel is that?

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

7 minutes ago, David Mills said:

There's an old saying about whether to throw something away: "If you haven't used it in 90 days, discard it."

Half of my stuff would be gone but my computer and MSFS would still be here.  😉

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, reignman40 said:

What pop-out panel is that?

I assume you are referring to AirManager on the lower screen. It is actually a touch screen and it has a Knobster attached.

The Knobster is a 3 function knob like the one on Garmin GPS's (push, large dial and small dial) You just touch the knob on the panel you want to adjust and now you have a hardware knob to turn and push. 

I build panels for all the different planes I have. It makes it much easier to use the instruments and radios AP's etc..

Here is where you buy the AirManager, it is now very mature with FS2020, it has been around along time for X-plane, FSX and P3D. I highly recommend it and a touch screen to go with it.

https://siminnovations.com

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

3 hours ago, TASCHMANN said:

"High Praise Indeed"

I think you've found the key to satisfaction with MSFS---Just keep any and all expectations as low as you can.

What would any of us have thought, last August, if we knew that the quoted statement would be offered as a compliment eleven months after release.

Managing expectations is really key here I guess. I'm actually happy with how everything is going and I was hoping it would turn out somehow like this. I hope to spend 1000s of hours with this software - and compared to basically all other software I did spend large amounts of time with, almost everything is better, be it development speed, customer openness, duration of beta phase, general state of product upon release, whatever really.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

I uninstalled FSX about 6 years ago.  I uninstalled P3D the moment I got into the MSFS alpha test.  I still have XP11 installed but only to beta test and occasionally use RXP GTN.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

There is something really wrong with his PC. 

No! That default airport looks the same on your system, as well as a number of other airports.  Already verified in this running topic.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

55 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I uninstalled FSX about 6 years ago.  I uninstalled P3D the moment I got into the MSFS alpha test.  I still have XP11 installed but only to beta test and occasionally use RXP GTN.

So? I still have FSX on my hardrive and goddam never investetd in P2D yeah i said it. Never got into the xplane hype. and clinging on to MSFS. its do or die for me on this platorrm or just quit . no mor GTN or Active sky addons on in the past that cost hundreds of dollars.

Edited by jbdbow1970

2 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

I have MSFS and XP11 on my system and enjoy both in equal measure. MSFS for me excels at low and slow GA because of the visuals. I hop into XP11 for a Zibo B738 fix as that is just a fantastic freeware 738.

Same here - I reckon my sim time is split 70/30 between MSFS/XP.

For XP I still enjoy flying the Zibo 73, Toliss busses, Hotstart TBM and that sexy iniBuilds A300. And to make it worse they have the Q400 coming and the Hotstart Challenger 650. I don't want to spent more money on XP but those incoming planes look really good.

However, with MSFS - every time I depart an airport, there is this voice in my head that is like: Mate, this is just bloody incredible.

Also, I was not expecting spending this much time and having so much fun in an old DC6 pulling levers and hitting switches....

• Like 1