mjrhealth

Linux

32 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Kids download it free and try once but that's counted 😂

Are they the same kids that have an XBox?  😉

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Greazer said:

Kids download it free and try once but that's counted 😂

Sounds like another one you can get with an Xbox pass yet not even close to these numbers 😉

Edited by mtaxp

7 hours ago, GoranM said:

Are they the same kids that have an XBox?  😉

No, they are serious flight enthusiasts who gain valuable skills from the complex planes and superb flight model whilst waving their phones around in front of their face.😂

• Like 1

I'm not sure how you used X-Plane mobile, but I've never "waved it around in front of my face" to use it.  Small corrections are more than enough.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

No, they are serious flight enthusiasts who gain valuable skills from the complex planes and superb flight model whilst waving their phones around in front of their face.😂

That's not important, the only important thing is that, thanks to the income from XP mobile, LR had a lot more resources to develop and improve XP desktop! 😍

I think that's the reason many haters are angry that XP mobile is doing so well! 🤭

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

I'm not sure how you used X-Plane mobile,

Well I downloaded it. Waved the phone around and decided that because I am an adult I deleted it.

10 minutes ago, Murmur said:

That's not important, the only important thing is that, thanks to the income from XP mobile, LR had a lot more resources to develop and improve XP desktop! 😍

I think that's the reason many haters are angry that XP mobile is doing so well! 🤭

I agree. I am grateful to XP mobile without which there would be no XP for PC. Wait!....What? I was under the impression that XP11 was an absolute gold mine?

Edited by jarmstro

24 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

I agree. I am grateful to XP mobile without which there would be no XP for PC. Wait!....What? I was under the impression that XP11 was an absolute gold mine?

X-Plane is not making money.  X-Plane has been losing money since its inception in 1995.  The great Meyer has been growing money trees in his back yard and paying his staff with that.  It's all an illusion to try to fool you into thinking X-Plane is profitable.

Looks like we're busted.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, GoranM said:

X-Plane is not making money.  X-Plane has been losing money since its inception in 1995.  The great Meyer has been growing money trees in his back yard and paying his staff with that.  It's all an illusion to try to fool you into thinking X-Plane is profitable.

Looks like we're busted.

Oh dear. Perhaps Linux was his downfall?😀

Edited by jarmstro

1 hour ago, jarmstro said:

Oh dear. Perhaps Linux was his downfall?😀

That's my supposition. Mr. Meyer seems like an otherwise reasonably intelligent fellow, but a marketing savant he is not. Why on earth would one ignore 96.54% (by my rudimentary math using the information in the link below) of the gaming desktop OS market (Windows, all versions) in favor of OSX (2.31%, all versions) and a command-line OS (Linux, 0.44%, all versions)?

Seems akin to aggressively self-amputating one's foot and consuming it prior to starting a marathon.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/265033/proportion-of-operating-systems-used-on-the-online-gaming-platform-steam/

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

2 hours ago, jarmstro said:

It was making some cash whilst the competition was in disarray.  But now it's in serious financial jeopardy.   Hence the desperate images / video to hype the 3d clouds.  Fingers crossed XP will stick around.

Hmmm ... X-Plane is declared dead since centuries 😀 by the ever same people. And ... what do we see now? XP12 is ante portas.
I remember back then, before XP10 was released - in the editorial of a German flight simming magazine * - which isn't existing any more - the chief editor (a diehard MS FS fan) predicted, that after a certain hype about XP10, the all new and very good MS Flight will sweep away XP and XP will disappear. But .. wait ... history teaches us ... well, we all know ...
*  Prior to release of MS Flight this magazine in preemptive obedience was even renamed from FlightXPress to FlightM. And it disappeared like MS Flight. However, X-Plane is still alive, and we will continue to hear, that X-Plane will die. But we can bear this burden spacer.png .

It is like in Formuala 1. Big car manufacturers come ... and go, when they loose interest, get a new CEO or don't earn enough money with the respective F1 marketing, while other teams which take part since decades, are still alive - because it's their business model. Do we see any similarities in the flight simulation market? spacer.png

• Upvote 4

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Hey Uwe... long time no see ! 😀

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 hours ago, OlliePen said:

Why on earth would one ignore 96.54% (by my rudimentary math using the information in the link below)

Because they nearly all have ~intel 550 iGPUs, aren't used much and people spend virtually nothing on software for them once they have Chrome and MS Office installed.

As demonstrated for example by Microsoft needing to give windows 10 away and not even being able to give windows 11 away.

Perhaps he actually has better business sense than you think. I mean, He's the one driving around in a high end Tesla and trading in his SR22 for a Lancair evolution;

https://austinmeyer.com/first-lancair-flight/

what did you spend your business millions on?

On 11/27/2021 at 12:36 AM, mSparks said:

MacOS for me was a bigger leap than Linux, because Linux was zero cost, and MacOS, well, wasn't.

OTOH, the only reason I had kept windows around for the last few years is because despite my absolute loathing of it, industry pays stupid amounts of money for MS Excel files, and Excel just doesn't work well on Linux, and libreoffice is a way off yet (close now, but still a way off, and I have switched to LibreOffice internally for almost everything but final delivery).

Then I was using a MacOS VM to build AutoATC stuff, and found to my shock and horror that everything I am used to on Linux is the same, all the C stuff the same - in some respects easier, ps command works, ls, top, ./, tab autocomplete, all the software I use for my daily driving and also Excel, bit of a learning curve on the UI, but everything I learnt I either liked or really liked.

Then, when I was pricing up what to buy when the windows laptop finally died, the Mac mini came in by far the cheapest option, so that's what I got .... about a month before Apple announced the M1.

Think I want an M1 Macbook air for Christmas, soooooo pretty, and considering the bottom of the range one will be more than enough for what I need it for not expensive. Might even be a good opportunity to wean the Mrs off windows, but also, don't really need it for anything other than when I'm OOO and testing M1 software, which makes it quite expensive.

Hmmmm, maybe I could give the Mac Mini to the niece as a Christmas present.... yeah, that might work.

Done. Windows is dead to me, and the niece is gonna have a nice Christmas present.

SiILVgm.jpeg

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

You want to know the reason? First, x-plane was engineered for his own teaching, not for the masses. And he happens to be a Mac user.

Second a lot of third party Plug-ins, tools and other stuff (like HDmesh) are developed by Linux users. (mSparks is one of those).

X-Plane and it’s ecosystem would be not be like it is today without Linux support.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2