Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

21 hours ago, Noel said:

Some there have said they don't like what they see and would rather have the old 2D clouds back.

I don't care this much for the look of something, but more for the simulation (btw., as I found out, the icy and patchy runway was also already avalaible in X-Plane 8, but not depicted visually). Similarly for the clouds. If up- and downdrafts are simulated (especially in thunderstorms), I would prefer even 2D clods above volumetric ones with negligible up- and downdrafts.

Re: "bird strikes". While searching for X-Plane and "bird strikes" I found this video. First, it shows a bird strike - ok. But, even more interestingly, it shows (in parts) the failure system which seems to be very comprehensive, so I searched for further videos and found this one. As it is by XPlaneOfficial, I assume, this is default, and not only with addons. Wow!! Very impressive. Until now, I didn't miss it, but after seeing the aforementioned videos, I'm wondering why MSFS doesn't have such a detailed failure system?

• Upvote 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

50 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

As it is by XPlaneOfficial, I assume, this is default, and not only with addons. Wow!! Very impressive. Until now, I didn't miss it, but after seeing the aforementioned videos, I'm wondering why MSFS doesn't have such a detailed failure system?

You're not sure why eh.   Well let's see XPlane has been here now for...TWENTY SEVEN YEARS--this is exactly why MSFS has not evolved this element quite yet.  We have another 8.2 years left according to Asobo's stated time line for MSFS.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Well, if any of those small details were important at all to me, I suppose I never would have uninstalled XPlane, yet uninstall it I did.  incidentally though, I found a great spot where people might be able to talk about that simulator to their heart’s content:

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/335-the-x-plane-general-discussions-forum/

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Noel said:

You're not sure why eh.   Well let's see XPlane has been here now for...TWENTY SEVEN YEARS--this is exactly why MSFS has not evolved this element quite yet.  We have another 8.2 years left according to Asobo's stated time line for MSFS.  

8.2 years of continuous development will do nicely 😁 

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

13 hours ago, Noel said:

OTOH, from what I've read, MSFS 2020 is the successor of FSX (which, with its predecessors, is around since 40 years) and took over many things - however I don't know how many.
Re: up- and downdrafts. While researching about it, I also found out that X-Plane has wake turbulences (since minumum 15 years) and microbursts. And I assume, there is much more, as I didn't dig very deep yet.

12 hours ago, ShawnG said:

Well, if any of those small details were important at all to me, I suppose I never would have uninstalled XPlane, yet uninstall it I did.

Well, and I'm thinking to install X-Plane, as MSFS simulationwise seems not to be there yet, where I would like to have it.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

5 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

OTOH, from what I've read, MSFS 2020 is the successor of FSX (which, with its predecessors, is around since 40 years) and took over many things - however I don't know how many.

Are you back to trying understand why MSFS isn't identical to XP in terms of a few 'trinkets' of functionality?  No one working on MSFS today was working on FSX so your point is about as relevant as stating Al Gore invented the internet.

5 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

Well, and I'm thinking to install X-Plane, as MSFS simulationwise seems not to be there yet, where I would like to have it.

Have at it.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I used to agree with the sentiment of the OP, as each MSFS SU used to cause a lot of problems for me, too.

Then I learned the 'SU checklist' and that ceased all problems with updates:-

• Install the update
  • Temporarily empty the Community folder
  • Delete any rolling cache

........ Since following this checklist, commencing SU6 (SU5 was absolute pain for me), I've had zero problems. I'm not saying the updates don't have bugs; they do.  But showstopping problems, CTDs and instability are a thing of the past since following this simple update checklist.

• Like 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

2 hours ago, JYW said:

I used to agree with the sentiment of the OP, as each MSFS SU used to cause a lot of problems for me, too.

Then I learned the 'SU checklist' and that ceased all problems with updates:-

• Install the update
  • Temporarily empty the Community folder
  • Delete any rolling cache

........ Since following this checklist, commencing SU6 (SU5 was absolute pain for me), I've had zero problems. I'm not saying the updates don't have bugs; they do.  But showstopping problems, CTDs and instability are a thing of the past since following this simple update checklist.

My checklist is 

empty the Community folder

THEN install update

I think if you install the update first, before emptying the Community folder, it can open you up to problems.  Usually I know when an update is getting pushed because I see it from some enterprising lad on AVSIM.  😁

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

By the way, when is the next update?, I guess world update ?  Just got the patch for bug fix.  See what I mean, just too much confusion with all these updates.  I want to breathe for a moment, and just enjoy this beautiful, and gorgeous simulator.

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

11 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

Re: up- and downdrafts. While researching about it, I also found out that X-Plane has wake turbulences (since minumum 15 years) and microbursts. And I assume, there is much more, as I didn't dig very deep yet.

XP-11 is still a very good simulator, so I would recommend it.  MSFS is ticking most of the boxes, and every sim update it ticks some more.  I do agree with you however that MSFS still has a LITTLE way to go with the FEELING of flight.  MSFS is certainly getting a more lively atmosphere, but there are still occasions where the 'on rails' feeling is still there for me.  XP-12 is close so that will be interesting to see what that brings to the table.

MSFS is the sim to go for as an overall great experience, but XP-11 still does a few specific things a bit better that makes it worthwhile to use if they are important for you.  Take a look at this page about half way down to see an update to XP-12.  Autogen, scenery and sky is looking very impressive.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

If you prefer P3D, then go use P3D.  If you prefer X-Plane, then go and use X-Plane.  But for the love of god, can we stop dumping salt and sour grapes into THIS subforum?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sunshine13 said:

By the way, when is the next update?, I guess world update ?  Just got the patch for bug fix.  See what I mean, just too much confusion with all these updates.  I want to breathe for a moment, and just enjoy this beautiful, and gorgeous simulator.

Seriously? Just bookmark this link: https://www.flightsimulator.com/development-roadmap/ - it’s all in there, so no need to guess or be confused. And yes WU IX is next, Italy/Malta on May 17.

• Like 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

these updates are getting a bit out of control, it seems the last week or so, every time I turn on my computer there is an update

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

On 5/9/2022 at 6:54 PM, Luis Hernandez said:

I need to check,@Ianrivaldosmith. But for that, I'll need the date of the next SU or hotfix...or at least wait until an update appears.

I've just tried: as soon as MSFS reported me an update, I closed it, disabled updates and tried again. However, it didn't work at all 😑

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

This update was a couple of minutes. The Italy download was about 4GB and it used about 13GIG of SSD. It did not take long at all and I did not have to install the Italy content.

I'm not impressed with WU9 and I would not be surprised if they release another update to fix this latest release.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.