Sign in to follow this  
Sunshine13

I am really getting tired of all these updates

IanHarrison wrote: "Stagnant as in having reached a completely stable working sim that satisfies 99% of its users."

Exactly

Edited by JNS

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

1 hour ago, JNS said:

I love how people can't just say "enjoy another sim"....they have to throw in the little insulting jab.

Oh, come on. This goes both ways. I've seen multiple threads be hijacked by people who refuse to give MSFS the praise it now deserves. People continually calling it a "game", even though - I can use a free mod for the A320, with out of the box scenery and weather that absolutely blows other sims out out of the water (only after spending nearly a $1000 to get it to look half as good as MSFS), while also enjoying a systems-rich experience in a plane that is free. There's just no comparison anymore. I agree there shouldn't be jabs, but until they stop across the board, playing the victim card seems fruitless. 

Edited by Bdub22
  • Like 11

12 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Oh, come on. This goes both ways. I've seen multiple threads be hijacked by people who refuse to give MSFS the praise it now deserves. People continually calling it a "game", even though - I can use a free mod for the A320, with out of the box scenery and weather that absolutely blows other sims out out of the water (only after spending nearly a $1000 to get it to look half as good as MSFS), while also enjoying a systems-rich experience in a plane that is free. There's just no comparison anymore. I agree there shouldn't be jabs, but until they stop across the board, playing the victim card seems fruitless. 

Did I ever say that it didn't go both ways?  Enjoy your sim.  

Edited by JNS
  • Like 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

13 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Especially implying that "other sims" are stagnant. 

Stagnant as in having reached a completely stable working sim that satisfies 99% of its users.

Compared to MSFS the other decades sims certainly have reached a level of stability and stability is about all they're good for now.  To be absolutely honest:  far more troubles w/ P3D in every way than I have had w/ MSFS.  I'll gladly bet a big percentage of those satisfied users have left the "other sims" wholesale, most not looking back.  I'm open to seeing what XP12 has to offer, but by the time it releases MSFS very likely already will have blown it out of the sky once again.  The last time I saw their latest version of volumetric clouds it was laughable.  LR's last major update was FIVE YEARS AGO--that is stagnation.    P3D, if you didn't break the EULA cost you $200 a pop for absolutely paltry improvements save the 64-bit port.  Never will give LM another nickel myself never could stand their phony paid for beta, and this is exactly what is was. And if you remove 3rd party content from P3D you have just a colossal, expensive piece of garbage.  Just my humble opinions, of course.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

13 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Especially implying that "other sims" are stagnant. 

Stagnant as in having reached a completely stable working sim that satisfies 99% of its users.

well, that sure would be cool,  can you point me in the direction of that sim?  keep in mind, I already own FSX XP11 and P3Dv5...

Or am I disqualified on those because I stopped using them when they didn't satisfy me?

26 minutes ago, Noel said:

Compared to MSFS the other decades sims certainly have reached a level of stability and stability is about all they're good for now.  To be absolutely honest:  far more troubles w/ P3D in every way than I have had w/ MSFS.  I'll gladly bet a big percentage of those satisfied users have left the "other sims" wholesale, most not looking back.  I'm open to seeing what XP12 has to offer, but by the time it releases MSFS very likely already will have blown it out of the sky once again.  The last time I saw their latest version of volumetric clouds it was laughable.  LR's last major update was FIVE YEARS AGO--that is stagnation.    P3D, if you didn't break the EULA cost you $200 a pop for absolutely paltry improvements save the 64-bit port.  Never will give LM another nickel myself never could stand their phony paid for beta, and this is exactly what is was. And if you remove 3rd party content from P3D you have just a colossal, expensive piece of garbage.  Just my humble opinions, of course.

I feel with the release of the Maddog, BAe 146, Milviz 310, and now PMDG 737, MSFS has stepped up to a whole new level of flight simulation in the span of two weeks.  It’s almost like a new flight simulator was released to the market.

I don’t know how LR is going to compete with XP 12 against MSFS. Even among many die hard XP streamers on Twitch, all those former XP streamers have been streaming the Maddog, BAe 146, and PMDG 737 in MSFS over the last few weeks, and when I ask them what they think, they are loving it! 

To add more salt to the wound, the Fenix A320 is about to release in the next few weeks.  That’s another boost for MSFS and another nail against XP.

IMO, had XP 12 released before the latest batch of study level airliners were released for MSFS, like if XP 12 were released in March, and XP 12 was really good, I could see XP 12 pulling back a lot of interest from the home market flight simulation community.

But XP 12 releasing after all these study level airliners come out for MSFS is just bad timing. XP 12 needs to pull a rabbit out of its hat.  It really needs a miracle because IMO, MSFS is gaining momentum very fast, and the momentum is reaching critical mass soon.  Unless XP 12 is revolutionary (and from the previews so far, it doesn’t look to be revolutionary, but let’s wait for the final version), I don’t think XP 12 can stop MSFS’s momentum.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

11 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I feel with the release of the Maddog, BAe 146, Milviz 310, and now PMDG 737, MSFS has stepped up to a whole new level of flight simulation in the span of two weeks.  It’s almost like a new flight simulator was released to the market.

I don’t know how LR is going to compete with XP 12 against MSFS. Even among many die hard XP streamers on Twitch, all those former XP streamers have been streaming the Maddog, BAe 146, and PMDG 737 in MSFS over the last few weeks, and when I ask them what they think, they are loving it! 

To add more salt to the wound, the Fenix A320 is about to release in the next few weeks.  That’s another boost for MSFS and another nail against XP.

IMO, had XP 12 released before the latest batch of study level airliners were released for MSFS, like if XP 12 were released in March, and XP 12 was really good, I could see XP 12 pulling back a lot of interest from the home market flight simulation community.

But XP 12 releasing after all these study level airliners come out for MSFS is just bad timing. XP 12 needs to pull a rabbit out of its hat.  It really needs a miracle because IMO, MSFS is gaining momentum very fast, and the momentum is reaching critical mass soon.  Unless XP 12 is revolutionary (and from the previews so far, it doesn’t look to be revolutionary, but let’s wait for the final version), I don’t think XP 12 can stop MSFS’s momentum.

XP has never had a "revolutionary " new version. It has always been, put some lipstick on it, and people will buy it.  That won't fly anymore ( pardon the pun). 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

24 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

and another nail against XP.

If I had a pound for everytime someone has said this over the last 15-20 years 🙄

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 4

I'm not one to cheer on the downfall of one sim vs another so I'll just say this: I have seen over the last couple of years numerous fanb***s of other sims try to trivialize MSFS on the count of its default aircrafts' behaviour and hold up their sim's aerodynamics as some holy grail and how MSFS is toy-ish compared to them etc etc.  Not all fans mind you but a certain cult-ish set, specifically of a certain other sim 🙂... and it always felt like that's the only thing they could hang on to, since the world/weather simulation and rendering superiority of MSFS is very clear which even they can't deny, and new coming versions of other sim(s) by all looks of it don't even come close IMO to MSFS in that department. So therefore beating up on MSFS in the aerodynamics and systems areas by using its default aircraft as proof was all they could do.

It was always clear that the core MSFS engine if properly utilized could provide for a way better experience than its default aircraft... and now, with all the advancements in the core engine, coupled with all the great payware and freeware aircraft we have available for use, and with these developers themselves (and IRL pilots) saying that MSFS enables realistic flight and aerodynamics simulation on par or better even than those other sims... well, all these questions are now put to rest, and guess what.. with MSFS you really can have the best of both worlds (in terms of world/visuals depth and aerodynamics/systems depth), and one doesn't have to be held back due to the other.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 6

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

9 hours ago, ShawnG said:

well, that sure would be cool,  can you point me in the direction of that sim?  keep in mind, I already own FSX XP11 and P3Dv5...

Or am I disqualified on those because I stopped using them when they didn't satisfy me?

Ha-ha. You can have the prize this week. (For what? you ask. Well you can decide that, I don't want to be banned).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:41 AM, GCBraun said:

I can't name a single gaming title that kept offering HUGE DLC releases FOR FREE at this point in their life-cycles.

No Man's Sky. They (and/or the publisher) made mistakes with promotional material vs launch-day reality and have since fixed complaints and negative reviews with multiple free, huge updates.

• Like 2

At the risk of getting stoned to death 😆: sad to say (or not sad at all, when I see what "others" have to offer), but meanwhile I had a look to the "dark"  😃 side.
In another thread here, it was mentioned that you can have "Birds. Everywhere.". Nice, but - and it's not only me - others as well would find birdstrikes cool. I found out, X-Plane has birdstrikes since (I assume, minimum*) version 8, i.e. 16 years.
*That's what I could find by googling it, but it could be even earlier.

For X-Plane 12, patchy runways with water and ice are announced. I.e. if you brake and hit an icy patch on the right side, but a dry one on the left, your plane will spin to the left. I'm tempted to find out, what other features the "dark side" has to offer. The ones described above look like to be very reasonble for a flight simulator.

• Like 1

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

18 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

and another nail against XP.

17 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If I had a pound for everytime someone has said this over the last 15-20 years 🙄

And they will keep saying it for another 15-20 years and it will still be here.

• Like 1

Meanwhile I found out that X-Plane had this patchy runway feature also already in XP 8 (and possibly even earlier), although not depicted visually. So, I have to research what other features were developed since then. I'm getting curious.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

5 hours ago, flying_carpet said:

For X-Plane 12, patchy runways with water and ice are announced..... The ones described above look like to be very reasonble for a flight simulator.

Yep these are the kinds of things you can add/offer when you've had all of the basics down for years upon years.  I hope their volumetric clouds and weather get much better than the most recent videos I've seen.  Some there have said they don't like what they see and would rather have the old 2D clouds back.  If you can't do world wide streamed ortho scenery the other half of the sim, the sky/atmospherics, are still fair play to make a splash in.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X