Sign in to follow this  
Paul_Yorks

PMDG 737 800 (not)

It's a bit odd. I expected the -800 release to get a bit more attention here on Avsim. I remember back when the -700 was released, quite a few people said that they were going to wait for the -800. Maybe they got impatient and got the -700? 

• Like 3

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

It's a bit odd. I expected the -800 release to get a bit more attention here on Avsim. I remember back when the -700 was released, quite a few people said that they were going to wait for the -800. Maybe they got impatient and got the -700? 

I mean it's not really new - it's just a variant of the 700 etc etc.  Most of the simmers I know all bought it.  Me I'm totally satisfied with the 700.  The price of the 800 did put me off a little.

Again I'm grateful all the NG models are coming out.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I purchased it the day it released and have been enjoying flying it; I had nothing to write on forum about.

As I write this I am on initial descent into TNCM from KIAD and I will say I am impressed with how trouble free the purchase and installation was and how well it is working in the sim. This was my first complex airliner -- back in 2011 -- and the plane I have flown the most number of hours on in any sim and it feels like an old familiar friend. I have it and the and am happy to have both -- I have no interest in the -600 or the -900 so this is it for me -- but the two airframes allow me to simulate pretty much any real world route, which is why I got them. I think the 140 dollars I paid is well worth the price for what I know will be hundreds upon hundreds of hours of enjoyment over the coming years. (I actually only paid 30 dollars for them as I had the NGXu credit)

I think the pricing model is actually quite good. Someone just wanting a complex airliner can get the -600 for 35 dollars, which is really a very good price for the value of the package and something never possible before for a PMDG aircraft given how they were bundled. If you want a little more you can pay the 70 dollars for one of the more popular variants, including cargo and BBJ versions, also a fair price. 

• Like 4

Dan Scott

was going to make a new post but saw this and thought it'd be appropriate. I was assuming that as an existing owner of the 737-700 that there would be a steep discount for the 737-800, as it's 95% the same thing. Same textures, same cockpit, etc. Am I crazy to think it's nuts to shell out $75 to purchase basically the same plane, with just a few more rows of seats?

I see the 737-600 is half the price at $35, which makes sense. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Am I crazy to think it's nuts to shell out $75 to purchase basically the same plane, with just a few more rows of seats?

A lot of people here are quite enthusiastic about this hobby. I'm not surprised even if someone gets the whole lineup. Me: happy with the -700, see no reason for another one. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

In may case, I bought it after buying the -700 on day one, it flies well, I use the dedicated PMDG forum where most there are hard core flyers already used to the P3D version and so "just get on with it".

Don't assume any lack of large scale fanfare here means a struggling model release. I will guess it will outsell all PMDG versions.

I'm hanging out for the 747...she's me first av-love.

Should add after credits I paid around $US35...

Edited by YMMB
edit
  • Like 1

Am holding off on purchasing one until these forums decide a winner in terms of price/value. Leaning towards 600 obviously but waiting to see the feedback on 800. Cant fathom getting more than one at these price points. But now that 3 are out, would he nice to see a package deal for, say $100-$120.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

was going to make a new post but saw this and thought it'd be appropriate. I was assuming that as an existing owner of the 737-700 that there would be a steep discount for the 737-800, as it's 95% the same thing. Same textures, same cockpit, etc. Am I crazy to think it's nuts to shell out $75 to purchase basically the same plane, with just a few more rows of seats?

I see the 737-600 is half the price at $35, which makes sense. 

I have seen this point made repeatedly about the PMDG pricing, and I just don’t understand where this assumption about a discount came from. PMDG made it clear that the pricing was by variant and that they would not have discounts tied to buying a second, third, or fourth variant. To be sure, a multiple-variant discount would be nice, but it wasn’t part of the plan. 

Edited by Iadbound
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

while people are complaining about price. I am here enjoy flying with them. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just now, fogboundturtle said:

while people are complaining about price. I am here enjoy flying with them. 

yep  don't  know  why users  keep posting  about  pricing, not  like  they  forcing  you to purchase  the  addons

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The PMDG 737-700 and Fenix A320 came out at a time when there was a dearth of high fidelity birds (during May 2022 which was the big inflection point for the sim with their arrivals)... so naturally much more forum activity then vs now for a new variant of the 737 after two variants already released.  I suspect future big inflection points and buzz will be around the MSFS 40th anniv edition release with support for helis & gliders, the iniBuilds A310.. and then another when the PMDG 777 lands, MSFS seasons, significant new world updates, etc. Probably might be even more forum activity when the PMDG EFB free update arrives compared to the -800 release :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

There's 12 page thread going on currently about the -800. Do we need another one? I'm confused.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

I mean it's not really new - it's just a variant of the 700 etc etc.  Most of the simmers I know all bought it.  Me I'm totally satisfied with the 700.  The price of the 800 did put me off a little.

Again I'm grateful all the NG models are coming out.

When I saw the price of the 800 (its fair) now I'm a little disappointed at the price of the 700 on release which imo should be clearely cheaper than the 800 by about $10 but now I am nitpicking.

• Like 1

Initially I thought the 600 was a stubby, ugly little bugger, but it's grown on me. I was definitely waiting for the 800, but now I'm looking again at the 700. I swear RSR is playing games with my head.

• Like 3

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org