Sign in to follow this  
mattloveday1987

Making the plunge from P3d to MSFS

Hi All

I am a long term P3D user making the switch into MSFS…. Setup seems much easier but I wondered if there are any guides/recommendations for setting up a new install and what if any add ons are recommended?

For reference in P3D I used

Active sky plus cloud art

Little Nav Map

EFB V2

GSX level 2

Thanks in advance

Matt

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

I made switch in opposite way - from MSFS back to P3D 🙂

I had a beer yesterday ... can we go back to topic now after all that irrelevant information? 😉

I can recommend REX AccuSeason as there are no seasons until now and these replacement trees help a lot.

Then try the freeware FBW A320

GSX and EFB are also available for MSFS

Then, you might have a look at AddonLinker to manage your addons. This is for me the most important tool. You will see your addon collection rise fast. And as nice as it is to simply put the addons in the community folder, you will very soon struggle to keep track and oversight as it is not possible to make subfolders there. With AddonLinker you can sort them as you like - countries, aircraft, landmarks etc.

• Like 20
  • Upvote 3

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 hour ago, mattloveday1987 said:

any guides/recommendations for setting up a new install

You may find a couple of useful guides here like for setting up cameras, controllers etc.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/community-support/pilot-guides/167

1 hour ago, mattloveday1987 said:

any add on

In a very short time, MSFS has generated thousands of addons, specially in the scenery and livery  department. MSFS puts the downloads into a bag called the Community folder which very fast  becomes a gigantic mess where a cat wouldn’t find her kittens. As above, I also recommend that you use Addon Linker which allows you to put some order in your addons and let you inject only the ones you use for a particular flight. 

LNM works well in P3D and is useful too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

and as if all of the above wasn't enough, sooner or later you might want to learn more about AAU1, the free Aircraft and Avionics Update nr. 1 (included now in MSFS) from the fantastic developers (and Citation pilot) at

https://www.workingtitle.aero/

no other simulator even comes close when it comes to these Garmins.

there are links to guides and youtube lessons for the enhanced Citation CJ4, Garmin G1000, G3000, G3X,  GNS 530/430.

all of this is free of charge and worth more than what I paid for MSFS itself. 😊

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/legacy

https://www.youtube.com/@KipOnTheGround

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 4

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

10 hours ago, mattloveday1987 said:

Hi All

I am a long term P3D user making the switch into MSFS…. Setup seems much easier but I wondered if there are any guides/recommendations for setting up a new install and what if any add ons are recommended?

For reference in P3D I used

Little Nav Map

EFB V2

GSX level 2

Thanks in advance

Matt

Have you installed MSFS? Maybe you should start there?

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I hid a few posts that were off topic and risked taking this way off course. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

9 hours ago, guenseli said:

Then, you might have a look at AddonLinker to manage your addons. This is for me the most important tool. You will see your addon collection rise fast.

Just for contrast--been at this since Aug 2020 and have no need for addon linker.  I have about 7 addon airports, 3 planes, GSX, Accuseason, and PACX all of which have their own installers, so no need whatsoever for addon linker.

My advice to the OP is to take your time and DON'T overload this sim with addons quickly--this IS NOT P3D, and there is drastically less need for addons, by comparison to where you're coming from.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't know if I'd go that far.  If you felt addon airports were needed in p3d, you will still feel they are needed in msfs.  While the default airports are better in msfs, they are A FAR STEP DOWN in quality from the payware.  But I agree with Noel in the sense that it makes time to look around and experience the stock sim first.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

44 minutes ago, CFIJose said:

Have you installed MSFS? Maybe you should start there?

The OP asks for any guides/recommendations for setting up MSFS, and that's supposed to be helpful advice ? What the heck is wrong with people in this forum ?

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

Just for contrast--been at this since Aug 2020 and have no need for addon linker.  I have about 7 addon airports, 3 planes, GSX, Accuseason, and PACX all of which have their own installers, so no need whatsoever for addon linker.

My advice to the OP is to take your time and DON'T overload this sim with addons quickly--this IS NOT P3D, and there is drastically less need for addons, by comparison to where you're coming from.  

You're probably right about Add On Linker at starting out with MSFS. I went for a long time without it, but the collection inevitably grew and Linker became essential.

Agreed -  at first, just Little Nav Map, particularly as the OP is already familiar with it.

• Like 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

11 hours ago, mattloveday1987 said:

Little Nav Map

EFB V2

GSX level 2

LNM & EFB both work fine with MSFS. For what it's worth MSFS *NEEDS* much less in terms of add-ons than P3D (IMHO).

The AAU1 aircraft in particular are fantastic CJ4, Longitude & TBM.

Personally I'd also recommend the HJet, VisionJet, C414 & PMDG 737 although your mileage with those will vary with what you prefer to fly. As noted above, Accuseasons it also well worth having.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

If the OP already has Avliasoft EFB, he probably wouldn't need little Nav map, just use Simbrief for flightplans. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310