Sign in to follow this  
grandfred29

Fenix block 2 delayed

1 minute ago, Aamir said:

Ultimately, criticism is fine. It is what it is, I can't do much about that - it is simply a byproduct of choosing to do what we're doing. You could have had IAEs around a year ago, but with 0 actual simulation behind it. Just a skinned CFM with "interpreted" display data and a bunch of nonsense running behind the displays. But hey, it would have worked, I guess.

It was our choice and our decision to build both the IAEs and CFMs to be better. Much better. We set our targets on stuff that is new and innovative. That is what our company is about - but pushing the boundaries come at cost. Both financial, and opportunity. Trust me, I stand here today sometimes wishing we did, in fact, just skin the IAEs and call it a day, followed by quickly throwing out the A321 and A319 and simply just moving on. It would have been cheaper by a factor of 10, and I'd reckon most wouldn't have noticed. But I would have. And it's not our ethos. As a consumer I believe in putting my dollars behind a company whose products I admire, but also whose ethos aligns with what I'm looking to get out of my dollars. So, that may open the door to criticism, because of how long it took to do. I think that's fair, and it does mean some customers completely disagree with it, and no longer want to spend their money with us - but we're always going to end up pushing for quality and depth over timelines, because there's no joy in what we do otherwise. 

I agree to most part. Personally i dont have any criticism, its just a game at the end of the day, and real life has far more difficult challenges, to say the least...  

I would say keep the current high depth level as you have more products in the pipeline. If you throw out half baked products or 'less then expected level' of products, it might hurt future products sales... 

Criticism is ok, and sometimes helps to create better product and development. 

• Like 2

Roi Ben

MSFS is immensely fortunate to have a dev house like Fenix focused on this level of quality and depth of simulated aircraft for the sim, with a refreshing attitude and approachability that they exhibit towards the community.. Take all the time you want for block 2 Fenix, and then the 319/321.. here's me hoping against hope you'll do a 330 or 350 after all that 🙂 

• Like 14
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

45 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I agree to most part. Personally i dont have any criticism, its just a game at the end of the day, and real life has far more difficult challenges, to say the least...  

If someone is selling a "product" and you buy it, it isn't just a game, but something more serious is involved here. There is a difference between a player, a gamer and a consumer. Personally I don't like when the devs act some marketing strategies, but I don't know if this can be applied here, because the Fenix Discord channel appears to be rather friendly and trasparent (I like Dave and his sense of humour) [although I have some different opinions regarding the turbulences].

Edited by Claudius_

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

@Aamir I do hope you read my query as simply anticipatory curiosity and excitement. There was no moaning intended, and I hope it didn’t come out that way.

Best- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

17 hours ago, Aamir said:

Amazing all that detail comes out in a post and all everyone cares about is one snippet with: "No, I'm just happy with what we're producing tbh.", and straight to the races with the timeline discussion again.

You are absolutely right, we are certainly never giving timelines out again - but it was worth a shot, everyone was asking for them stating that they're OK with it moving and understand it's the way it goes, but at least it's better than not knowing any of our aims/goals/targets, and so we delivered a timeline. It moved and now it's all people care about as opposed to the mad stuff we're doing, and now it's a case of: "why give timelines". It is rather exhausting. 

Can't win, hence I state - I no longer care about timelines, only that I am happy with what we're building. Maybe it does come out end of October. It's certainly quite possible. Or perhaps I see something I don't like, and want to fix it. And it moves again. I don't know, I'm not an oracle. Our timeline is October. It remains October. It is our shooting point. But I'm not going to rush a labour of love (because we sure as heck aren't getting paid for this update, no $$$ being exchanged here for this work) just to make an arbitrary timeline I set for us. That's just me doing damage to myself, then. 

You are doing it the absolutely right way. It´s done when it´s done, and nobody cares if it comes out a couple of weeks later as long as the quality is the same as the Vanilla-Product.

• Like 2

I'm always disappointed when a deadline is announced and missed with these add-ons.  However, the Fenix is a wonderful iteration of the Airbus and we have received improvements along the way.  I really don't think people have as much to complain about.  People who complain are still gonna update and purchase the A319/321 anyhow 😆

• Like 2

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

They have thrown in the towel for the October guidance. They deleted the IAEs from the !schedule bot,

"We then expect to release the A319+A321 expansion package by the end of the year. Sharklets will be coming for the A319, A320, A321 in 2024."

You have to quote it correctly. Before your quote the bot refers to a quote by Aamir about the current situation. 

"I mean, it more or less is - if I told you anything else I'd be lying. Ultimately, there are issues to resolve - it may be resolved in 2 days, it may be resolved in 15 days. I don't really know. It's like asking someone to solve a heinously difficult math problem, but before you do - tell me down to the second how long it's going to take to solve it" (Aamir//Discord Server by Fenix)

Edited by mobiel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thanks. I had missed that.

I am surprised they are keeping the guidance for the A319/A320 for the end of the year. It feels like they are setting themselves up for more angst in 2 months.

I'd rather wait than have them release a broken product.

Edited by BrammyH

I wouldn't go beyond what he said in his statement. They've got a singular issue to resolve and they need some time to sort it out. There's no indication that it would cause a cascade failure for the whole schedule.

I've been stumped writing code before. I usually found the answer immediately after I had told everyone that I had no idea when I would sort it out. Fingers crossed that happens to Aamir and Dave. 🤞

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

GONE BOATING - It's like fishing, but with a clean deck.

29 minutes ago, mobiel said:

You have to quote it correctly. Before your quote the bot refers to a quote by Aamir about the current situation. 

"I mean, it more or less is - if I told you anything else I'd be lying. Ultimately, there are issues to resolve - it may be resolved in 2 days, it may be resolved in 15 days. I don't really know. It's like asking someone to solve a heinously difficult math problem, but before you do - tell me down to the second how long it's going to take to solve it" (Aamir//Discord Server by Fenix)

I totally love the nice and transparent way Aamir communicates. No company blah blah, it's all rational and honest.

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Looks like it’s not going to make October. They pulled the message about October from the !schedule Bot on discord mentioning IAE. I saw it coming as they were not happy with it yet. No biggie. 

Edited by Wise87
  • Like 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

1 hour ago, Wise87 said:

Looks like it’s not going to make October. They pulled the message about October from the !schedule Bot on discord mentioning IAE. I saw it coming as they were not happy with it yet. No biggie. 

It is what it is. It will be there when ready. I personally don't care about that, as long as they deliver a good product in the end. What makes me happy instead of deadlines, are updates of new features or screenshot over the process.

• Like 8