Been flying for many hours with Active Sky since the day it went on sale. Clouds look great, no issues, love the thunder and lightning which I haven't heard or seen in over a year and a half with default weather. No more towering cumulous clouds everywhere, and nothing else.  

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

I was also interested in seeing the difference between Active Sky and MSFS Live Weather. So I chose a few spots around the globe and took comparison screenshots. I especially like the Stratus cloud type, rarely or never seen this with the default weather.

Results can be seen here, included the current METAR and a comparison slider.
https://contrail.shop/products/hifi-simtech-active-sky-msfs

Disclaimer: Not intended as self promotion, but figured I would post it anyway since it's the best form of comparing screenshots

• Like 8

Cheers,
Lars

7 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been flying for many hours with Active Sky since the day it went on sale. Clouds look great, no issues, love the thunder and lightning which I haven't heard or seen in over a year and a half with default weather. No more towering cumulous clouds everywhere, and nothing else.  

It’s a joke that Asobo can’t get the weather right. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Lars-Contrail said:

I was also interested in seeing the difference between Active Sky and MSFS Live Weather. So I chose a few spots around the globe and took comparison screenshots. I especially like the Stratus cloud type, rarely or never seen this with the default weather.

Results can be seen here, included the current METAR and a comparison slider.
https://contrail.shop/products/hifi-simtech-active-sky-msfs

Disclaimer: Not intended as self promotion, but figured I would post it anyway since it's the best form of comparing screenshots

Love the comparisons - thanks!

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Lars-Contrail said:

I especially like the Stratus cloud type, rarely or never seen this with the default weather.

+1
In full agreement!. Here are a couple of shots from different flights.

image.png.dbbcf03d23d11540144df82c78352397.png

image.png.32a596977a4ffac29f73e90abed9770a.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 5

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've purchased ActiveSky mainly looking for more type of clouds (which IMHO delivers along better visibility/humidity depiction) and also to show some support to a piece of software thats been with the FS community since forever.

My main issue right know is turbulence effects . I find them to be event more unrealistic that MSFS default. Anybody knows if Active Sky overrides MSFS turbulence or works along with it? I mean if I set all turbulence effects in ActiveSky to 0, would I still be getting MSFS turbulence? 
I've tried a couple of flights doing this but it seems ActiveSky either cancels all effects or I was unlucky (lucky) to hit a smooth ride.

7 minutes ago, Juan LLobera said:

I've purchased ActiveSky mainly looking for more type of clouds (which IMHO delivers along better visibility/humidity depiction) and also to show some support to a piece of software thats been with the FS community since forever.

My main issue right know is turbulence effects . I find them to be event more unrealistic that MSFS default. Anybody knows if Active Sky overrides MSFS turbulence or works along with it? I mean if I set all turbulence effects in ActiveSky to 0, would I still be getting MSFS turbulence? 
I've tried a couple of flights doing this but it seems ActiveSky either cancels all effects or I was unlucky (lucky) to hit a smooth ride.

Works along with and supplements the MSFS setting. I'm asuming that you're using the Preset more rather than the Passive mode?

Many have complained of turbulence being too high and so the slider defaults tend to be a good place to start. Did you choose REALISM or EASY as your starting mode? The dev has indicated that the app was developed with Low turbulence in MSFS, but I've seen others mention that they're using up to Realistic in MSFS. You'll have to try different situations and tweak the various options.

The nice thing about historical weather is that you can always look for a storm or condition you want and then roll back and try it multiple times.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Works along with and supplements the MSFS setting. I'm asuming that you're using the Preset more rather than the Passive mode?

Many have complained of turbulence being too high and so the slider defaults tend to be a good place to start. Did you choose REALISM or EASY as your starting mode? The dev has indicated that the app was developed with Low turbulence in MSFS, but I've seen others mention that they're using up to Realistic in MSFS. You'll have to try different situations and tweak the various options.

The nice thing about historical weather is that you can always look for a storm or condition you want and then roll back and try it multiple times.

Yes. I'm using the preset. I understand Passive will only apply effects but no depiction. I've been only using Realism as starting point. But I'll double check. 
Thank you for the reply.

Edited by Juan LLobera

The turbulence in Active Sky is much more realistic than it ever was with default weather. I have my turbulence in MSFS set to Low. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Just to clarify; Should I fly in Australia with historical weather, does that include turbulence fitting for daytime flights?

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

4 minutes ago, MarcG said:

Just to clarify; Should I fly in Australia with historical weather, does that include turbulence fitting for daytime flights?

Flying with historical weather includes the global weather data for that date/time. As such, if ASFS would inject turbulence in live weather due to the conditions, it would also do it in historical mode under the same conditions.

• Like 1

Awesome thanks, just needed clarification 🙂

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

On 5/15/2024 at 11:26 PM, UAL4life said:

It’s a joke that Asobo can’t get the weather right. 

I don’t know about that: Do you remember Prepar3d / FSX?

Posted (edited)

I may buy this later on but have a question before I do...

What is the best balance when using the settings Download Interval, Smoothing Rate and Theme Reload Interval to produce the most realistic effect of cloud population into the sim?

I can work out turbulence myself but it seems those settings are the most important when it comes to the most accurate depiction of clouds when sing the app.

Cheers.

edit: I forgot to add I don't fly GA, only tubeliners.

Edited by El Diablito

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

1 hour ago, El Diablito said:

I may buy this later on but have a question before I do...

What is the best balance when using the settings Download Interval, Smoothing Rate and Theme Reload Interval to produce the most realistic effect of cloud population into the sim?

I can work out turbulence myself but it seems those settings are the most important when it comes to the most accurate depiction of clouds when sing the app.

Cheers.

edit: I forgot to add I don't fly GA, only tubeliners.

I set download interval to 15 min, theme reload interval off, smoothing rate to 25. With these settings the weather is mostly "in transition" from interval to interval, creating a believable effect of "flying into weather", but also updated weather every 15 min.

• Like 1