Sign in to follow this  
ricka47

Preparing for FS2024

As November is not that far away, I was thinking of what needs to be done to make the transition to a new sim. Specifically, I'm thinking about what needs to be done with the current community folder and all the stuff that is in there currently. I use AIG so there will be some stuff that needs to be moved or pointed to the new installation. I guess hardware controls and buttons will need to be re-mapped as well. Anyone else thinking about this kind of stuff yet?

• Upvote 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

I don't think we know enough yet. Perhaps there'll be a way to export control settings from 20 into 24. Perhaps the community folder might even be shared between the two...

The main thing will probably be "buy a larger SSD!"

It's an imponderable at this stage so no point in planning. It would be great if hardware assignments could be copied over but there is no reason to expect it to happen. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I am wondering this too. I have a 1 TB hard drive and only have 230 MB left on it so I will have to delete MSFS 2020. is there a way to completely delete it without any leftover files in other directories when a standard uninstall is done. Is there anything that needs to be copied and saved for the new sim?

Bill

MSFS has 3 folders,

1. The program folder (Steam, Store, etc.) e.g., \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator - this is only 2 GB or less and contains no custom or add-on files (I believe..)

2. The user profile folder, e.g., ..\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Flight Simulator - this is not very large and can be easily backed up.

3. The Packages folder - this is the big one that contains all the mandatory content and world upates in the 'Official' folder, and the add-ons in the 'Community' folder. This can be easily transferred to a USB drive in case you want to roll back to 2020.

For 2024 I plan on moving the packages folder to temp storage, backing up the user profile folder in case its overwritten and leaving the program folder. If 2024 doesn't work out, I can remove it and put 2020 back quite easily until I'm ready for 2024.

AMD • 5800X3D • RX7900 XT • B550 • 32GB DDR4
pmdgswitch.jpg

All I plan to do is zip up all my addons and move them as backups to another drive as MS will not allow me to move anything in or out of my community folder in any other way.  My 2 TB drive with MSFS2020 will then be wiped to use it to install MSFS2024 onto and I will then move all my addons back and unzip them as required.  No doubt all of my controllers will need to be set up again and recalibrated for the new sim.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I can't wait to uninstall 2020

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Posted (edited)

Still a long run of uninstalls / reinstalls for me until November 😜

One thing is, almost for sure, guaranteed : MSFS 2024 will get uninstalled sometime after it's release... so, I'd rather find additional external storage to make safe copies as I install it the first time 🙂

Jokes apart, I would love an option such as:

- INSTALL OPTION:

A) --> Upgrade MSFS 2020 installation (MSFS 2020 will become unusable)

B) --> Install a separate copy of MSFS 2024

I would undoubtedly opt for B)

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

1 hour ago, ricka47 said:

As November is not that far away

no one wants to hear that when summer just began 😞

• Like 4

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

I will wait until MSFS2024 is released and then figure out what I am going to do. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

spacer.png

One thing I did is some spring cleaning of my community folder.  I had countless airport add-ons that I probably never flew into.  I'm getting everything down to just the ones I know I use for now. 

Otherwise, I'm waiting to see how it goes for everyone else.  I don't have the drive space for both sims, so I'm just sticking with 2020 for launch. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

1 minute ago, Brandon01110 said:

no one wants to hear that when summer just began 😞

Yeah, when I lived in Chicago, I would think that way. Now that I live in Florida, November means that it will get cooler and hurricane season is over.

Rick Abshier

1 minute ago, ricka47 said:

Yeah, when I lived in Chicago, I would think that way.

I live near Grand Rapids Michigan (150 nm north-east of Chicago).  I want my summer, no november til its time.  Thank goodness its not like we are waiting for MS2020 while still playing FSX.  Im content for now but definitely eager to see the difference.  My number one hope is that the main thread limitation is gone.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

7 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

I live near Grand Rapids Michigan (150 nm north-east of Chicago).  I want my summer, no november til its time.  Thank goodness its not like we are waiting for MS2020 while still playing FSX.  Im content for now but definitely eager to see the difference.  My number one hope is that the main thread limitation is gone.

Yup - the current version is great for me and I'm expecting more of an incremental change rather than a game-changer. Nevertheless, I will be getting it on day one!

• Like 1

Rick Abshier